• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The extended Kole Calhoun experiment

Chuck

Let's face it, since the middle of 2017 he has pretty much sucked outside of a little hot streak. 

I mean I know we don't have any other options right now, but how many months of absolute zero production can we continue on with? To make it worse,  he's leading off and getting 5 at bats a game.

Kole is (was) a classic overrated-because-he-was-underrated player. He was a fringe prospect who turned in a nice few years, but was really never anything more than a solid major league regular, and then only for 2014-16. By 2017 he was slipping below the average range and has been mediocre to bad since. He shouldn't be a starter anymore.

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

Such a bummer because I like the guy and he's really good in RF, plays hard. But damn, rightfielders are suppose to produce at the plate.

Yep and I remember meeting him at the Angelswin spring fanfest. Good guy. He was a gritty overachiever that made it to the bigs. 

We have way too many people - Calhoun, Cozart, Pujols - who will continue to get ABs because their contracts prevented us from getting a decent replacement. I get that this is a transition year but fuck, this team is no fun to watch right now. Getting Ohtani back will help but watching him fight with Pujols and Bour for ABs will suck.

Having said all that, 5-game win streak incoming.

36 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Read the story I wrote yesterday about him. His contact numbers are much better. 

I know you have the outsider's perspective and that every team has their Kole Calhoun (and Cam Bedrosian, and Zack Cozart, and so on) but damn, as a fan it's tiring reading about the different ways in which player X is "unlucky" and due to turn it around any day now.  

And yes, I read the story.  

I find myself torn, has he gotten worse or have the changes in the game around him such as constant defensive shifts minimized him somewhat?|
It doesnt really matter as the result is the same i guess, some players are just going to have their weaknesses exposed more dramatically than other in the new paradigm. 
Either way, it cant really be accepted if/when a better option emerges, whether thats Goodwin for the rest of 19 once Upton comes back or Adell to open 20. 
At this point if things stay as they are i think he has to be the odd man out when Upton comes back or perhaps moved to the 4th role and Borjous spends time in SLC again.