• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The extended Kole Calhoun experiment

Chuck

14 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

There were better options available in the offseason. We let Brantley go to the Facking team we are trying to get better than.  This is the Pujols situation all over again: Where the team actively doesn't pursue upgrades and then people on here cover their ears and say "We have no better options!". Rinse, wash, repeat. 

Eppler needs to have better foresight in the future and actually address issues the roster has. What he did with our problems that we had at 3B, RF, Catcher, 2B is just frankly unacceptable. When Tommy La Stella is the best of the players you brought in to fill holes, that's a shit job

We should have been actively pursuing an upgrade on Calhoun all offseason

There was no budget available in the off season.  At least thats what we are being told.  
I suggested Brntly at one point myself, but it was obvious that was never going to happen.
If there was more money it should have gone to spots we dont have farm depth on anyway such as 3B, but there wasnt. 
This is a transition year to get to the kids in 20, the sooner you accept that the happier you will be :) 

11 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

For now, maybe. But we all know that Goodwin's numbers will come down and Fletcher has limited upside. Kole sucks, but Upton's injury and the lack of clearly better options gives him some job security.

they may come down, but they won't be under a .170 BA 

also, "for now" is what we desperately need 

14 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Not to nitpick (ok, to nitpick), an average starter is more like 3 WAR. I actually recently researched this, and over the last ten years, the median fWAR for all qualifiers (501+ PA) is 2.7 fWAR; the median for all players with 600+ PA is 3.3 fWAR.

so he's even worse.

wonderful 

Calhoun is done, period. He has one and only one contact point when up at the plate and that is way out in front. He can only pull the ball. Should have seen this 2 years ago when they may have been able to acquire some assets for him. Now, no one will trade for this guy. Absolutely worthless. 

33 minutes ago, Lou said:

better OF option:

LF - Fletcher 

CF - Trout

RF - Goodwin 

I'd rather replace Cozart over Calhoun at this point.  Put Fletcher at 3b and Goodwin in LF.  and that's kind of my point.  It's the old pujols argument that there are other guys who suck worse that I would prioritize to replace.  

One thing I hope they start to notice is that Fletcher's developing into a reverse split guy.  

If I had to rank the guys who I would sit 

Bourjos
Cozart
Calhoun
Pujols
La Stella
Bour

21 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Yeah. That’s not good. 

I don’t think I or the Angels expect him to be some All-Star and hit .300.

I think what is reasonable to expect from him is about a 240/320/430 type line. If he does that and plays great defense, he would help the Angels. 

And I think he’s still capable of that. Given the small sample of ABs, it doesn’t take too long to get from where he is now to there. He’s at the point where 5 hits raises his average 75 points or something. 

Andrelton Simmons had back to back 2-hit games and I think his average went up about 40 points. 

Just to illustrate how it’s too early to get caught up in stats...

Calhoun’s average went up 40 points in 4 games and his OPS went up 155 points. 

Just don’t even look at the stats until May. And especially don’t look at the batting average. 

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

we certainly needed a starter.  

we still do.  

btw, Goodwin and Brantley have the same WAR and only because Goodwin has fewer at bats.  Otherwise, he's out performing him. 

True, except defensively Brantley >>>>>> Goodwin.     But, I'm fine with not offering 3 years to Brantley.  

The jury is still out on Goodwin.  He’s a young player and was decently regarded prospect.  He’s been reasonably solid in the major leagues for his 3rd season now.  Other teams dig up good regulars.  Maybe the Angels finally have.  You guys better hope Goodwin remains a good player.  Having guys like him pan out is the only way the Angels are going to start winning any time soon.  

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Kole vs. RHers for the season

.240/.321/.480/.801 with a 115 ops+

Ward hits lefties well and has a strong arm.  Start playing him in RF.  

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I like this. 

With all the moving around Ward is doing, maybe we should try him at catcher.

Yes, I know.