• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Interesting tidbits on cost/hassles of attending a major league game

yk9001

Thoughts?

https://deadspin.com/how-much-longer-will-baseball-stadiums-be-for-baseball-1833463105

The most recent example of a team squeezing fans from every angle possible can be found in the Washington Nationals’ bag ban. Joining in the American tradition of impeding ease of access to public spaces through feckless security theater, the Nats announced that backpacks will no longer be allowed in the stadium. “The bag policy was created for the safety of all our guests,” explained the team in a statement, ignoring the fact that there is scant evidence that such security measures actually make anyone safer. What is certain, though, is that the Nats’ bag ban will inconvenience fans while separating them from more of their money.

The Nationals waited more than a month after announcing the ban to reveal that they had partnered with D.C-based startup Binbox to “make 500 medium- and large-sized storage lockers available” in which to store bags that won’t be allowed in the stadium. Binbox, in the laudable startup tradition of providing an already existing service but in a more complicated and expensive fashion, offers a baffling pricing scheme of “$2 per hour, charged in six-minute increments.” Also, payments have to be processed through an app called Stripe, so now fans can look forward to downloading a useless app they’ll never otherwise need and stressing out over each pitching change that threatens to extend the game by another six minutes. Dumber still is the fact that, according to the Washington Post, backpacks will need to be searched by a security staffer before they can be placed in the Binbox, which should make you wonder why a bag that’s been deemed safe by security is somehow still too dangerous to bring into the stadium.

That's going to fail miserably the first month while fans who never heard of this stupid shit arrive on the train and find all the lockers are used up. What do they do?

What do the Nationals do, turn away a thousand fans because they made a bad policy?

What really is the difference between a backpack and a woman's large purse? 

I can see a whole lot of angry people telling the Nationals to take their team and shove it.

7 minutes ago, Blarg said:

That's going to fail miserably the first month while fans who never heard of this stupid shit arrive on the train and find all the lockers are used up. What do they do?

What do the Nationals do, turn away a thousand fans because they made a bad policy?

What really is the difference between a backpack and a woman's large purse? 

I can see a whole lot of angry people telling the Nationals to take their team and shove it.

agree completely but its more of a death of a thousand paper cuts.  The app to download tickets.  The bag search.  The lockers.  The parking.  The non-cash only at Rays stadium, which practically ensures that the Rays get a little cut when you don't use all of your prepaid Rays card.

I find this stuff interesting.

1 minute ago, yk9001 said:

agree completely but its more of a death of a thousand paper cuts.  The app to download tickets.  The bag search.  The lockers.  The parking.  The non-cash only at Rays stadium, which practically ensures that the Rays get a little cut when you don't use all of your prepaid Rays card.

I find this stuff interesting.

I’ll read the article, I had only read the Nationals example.  I always thought running a restaurant that only excepted electronic payment would have been awesome.  Going to a ball game is like getting on an airplane.  There are a lot of hassles to go through.  I am going to see the Angels play the Cubs in Chicago.  The only way I could access the tickets is through an app.  They don’t except the tickets I bought, from the Cubs, not even a secondary market, in paper form.  

The security at events is nothing but kabuki theater.

My wife and I went to the tennis a couple weeks ago at Indian Wells.  I had a great time, and thought I got great value for a $50 pass for a day's full of tennis.  The drinks were standard stadium fare, but I paid less for fish tacos than I would at a take out lunch place in Century City.

anyways, the security:  As we snaked through a long line, all bags were subject to search.  Fine.  Then, 15 yards later, as we are packed in, we go through individual security.  They take the bag (previously checked) and exempt it from search as you go through the scanner.

There was nothing to prevent you from keeping a bad weapon on your person while going through bag check, then simply transferring the weapon to the bag, in the throng of humanity, before you go thru the scanner.

Silliness

40 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I went to the game Monday and was asked if I wanted to pay for premium parking at the booth.

Premium parking has always been a thing, although I think it used to only be available for SSH and people with Diamond Club or suite tickets.

The electronic tickets only thing is bs.  Say, I walk up to the gate and cant load the tickets because of a bad connection.... this actually happened to me briefly at a spring training game a couple weeks ago... I'm sure they'll be able to look up the ticket and let you in. They've done that for years. After all, you still get printed tickets at the box office. 

I'd say they are strongly encouraging the use of electronic tickets 

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Premium parking has always been a thing, although I think it used to only be available for SSH and people with Diamond Club or suite tickets.

Nope, this is another tier of parking, the Diamond club and season seat holders still have the front of the lot. This is general parking redefined. 

1 hour ago, ScottT said:

The electronic tickets only thing is bs.  Say, I walk up to the gate and cant load the tickets because of a bad connection.... this actually happened to me briefly at a spring training game a couple weeks ago... I'm sure they'll be able to look up the ticket and let you in. They've done that for years. After all, you still get printed tickets at the box office. 

I do a screen save of my e-ticket so it's not a problem. 

1 hour ago, ScottT said:

Recently went to a concert that demanded e-tickets only.  Was denied entry, said they were already used.  No, didn't buy them off of craiglist or whatever, right from the venue, ticketed by ticketmaster.  

TIcketmaster provided refund + compensation a few days later when they admitted there was a problem with them - big deal - sold out show so wasted time and money on what was supposed to be a special occasion.  

I've had problems with almost every e-ticket-only show I've been to.  

1 hour ago, aznhockeyguy said:

The main reason I don't go to games is all of the above.  When parking is just as much if not more than the ticket for the game F*** that.  I blame greedy owners trying to nickel and dime everyone.  Traffic is a nightmare, but mainly it's the cost. 

That’s exactly what it is. Reading the article I don’t see how any of those changes are beneficial to the fan experience at all. Give me a dog and a beer and I’m good.

1 hour ago, aznhockeyguy said:

The main reason I don't go to games is all of the above.  When parking is just as much if not more than the ticket for the game F*** that.  I blame greedy owners trying to nickel and dime everyone.  Traffic is a nightmare, but mainly it's the cost. 

I guess they could reduce payroll so players cap out at a million a year, then we can go back to 1980 ticket pricing.