• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Interesting tidbits on cost/hassles of attending a major league game

yk9001

Adding to the OP, the overall costs of attendance are spiking over the past few years. Here’s a good article from Beyond the Box Score (with a link to a good FanGraphs piece on a similar topic). MLB is really getting fans focused on the wrong aspects of what is supposedly hurting baseball (pace of play). I really like this bit:

Ultimately, herein is the issue. The issue of income inequality is not going away, so while you have on one hand a rising cost of living with ticket prices that far outpace even that, you have an entire generation of people that are not only less interested in the sport but also less able to even afford it in the first place.”

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2018/6/18/17472832/mlb-attendance-us-cost-of-living-ticket-prices

Whoa... so much angst over going to a game. 

I pay the $10 most of the time, but I also bring my own food and I don't drink beer.  I rarely buy anything from the concessions at the stadium - but I buy a ton of crap from the team store every year.  The bottom line is if you want to go - you find a way.  If you don't want to go - you only need one excuse, not a million of them. 

I didn't read the article.  I saw it was from deadspin and I don't typically read anything on that site.

1 hour ago, Jeremiah said:

Adding to the OP, the overall costs of attendance are spiking over the past few years. Here’s a good article from Beyond the Box Score (with a link to a good FanGraphs piece on a similar topic). MLB is really getting fans focused on the wrong aspects of what is supposedly hurting baseball (pace of play). I really like this bit:

Ultimately, herein is the issue. The issue of income inequality is not going away, so while you have on one hand a rising cost of living with ticket prices that far outpace even that, you have an entire generation of people that are not only less interested in the sport but also less able to even afford it in the first place.”

https://www.beyondtheboxscore.com/2018/6/18/17472832/mlb-attendance-us-cost-of-living-ticket-prices

And you can say the same thing about cable or cell phones. On the secondary market you can find $5 tickets to 90% of the games out there.  Baseball is still affordable to the lower middle class.  Now if you have to eat and drink and park all at the stadium then yes it can be pricey for a lower income family.  But if you have the ability to reason with your family and kids you can easily afford attending games.  

23 hours ago, aznhockeyguy said:

The main reason I don't go to games is all of the above.  When parking is just as much if not more than the ticket for the game F*** that.  I blame greedy owners trying to nickel and dime everyone.  Traffic is a nightmare, but mainly it's the cost. 

i dropped by the Big A yesterday after my round of golf. Hit up the team store and waded through all the knick-knacks. Ended up buying a bottle of water, a 20 oz. Dasani. $4.85. That's absolute bull squat.

20 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Its funny. I do one of two things at the game.

A. I get hooked up seats in the diamond club. Then i spend the game in the bar, watching the game on tv instead of behind me.

okay, okay, stop begging! I'll let you take me to a couple of games this season so we can diamond club together.

20 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

A. I get hooked up seats in the diamond club. Then i spend the game in the bar, watching the game on tv instead of behind me.

B. I get cheapest seats possible, then head to the bar on the 3rd level, and watch the game on tv instead of behind me.

Im starting to wonder why i even go to the games, to be honest.

And the reality is i go to the bar, so i dont have to fight crowds for a drink and something to eat, or get up and walk forever to a bathroom.

I am now positive we've met at a game. 

8 hours ago, Tank said:

okay, okay, stop begging! I'll let you take me to a couple of games this season so we can diamond club together.

I would be thrilled to take you to the diamond club, Tank. 

The secret is to schmooze the bartenders, then tell them Clyde Wright is picking up the tab.

By the time he finds out, were on the 5, smelling of $20 sliders.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

And FYI Tank, thanks to the dumbass Full House lady, we cant offer the people who actually make enough to buy diamond club seats spots on our college sports team in exchange for Coors Light and cheese sticks anymore. So we'll have to think of another scam.

nobody can say "no" to a tall frosty mug of ice cold A & W and some triscuits.

nobody.

14 hours ago, Lou said:

not that you would know, but is that what they serve in the View Level VIP Lounge? 

Not sure about that. 

Almost all of my stadium eats follow the same category. I start with "im good, I ate before I got here" followed by "youre not going to finish that?"

So mostly I eat 4 fries and the tomato slice off of a friend's burger.

If im starving ill ask the bartender for some olives with my budweiser, and say something like "i learned this in Greece". I dont think they really do that there, but free olives are free olives.