• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Adell injury: left hamstring strain and right ankle sprain

Taylor

• 2 weeks later...

Given his performance, I'm not surprised. If he had played well in AAA then a September call-up would make sense, if only to get a few major league at bats and hang out with Trout and the gang. But given how over-matched he's been, I think the AFL is a good idea, then starting next year in Salt Lake. He'll get his first cup of coffee sometime in May or June, is my guess.

55 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Given his performance, I'm not surprised. If he had played well in AAA then a September call-up would make sense, if only to get a few major league at bats and hang out with Trout and the gang. But given how over-matched he's been, I think the AFL is a good idea, then starting next year in Salt Lake. He'll get his first cup of coffee sometime in May or June, is my guess.

2116728F-279E-465A-8717-5F581B149602.jpeg

2 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

I have a feeling that will be seeing Kole back next season 

Not a chance. His price tag is $14mil. No way we pay that for barely better production than Goodwin at league minimum. Especially when we need pitching desperately. Even if Arte opens the checkbook, that means another pitcher, it doesn’t mean Kole stays. 

7 hours ago, Blarg said:

But that would be Puig's fourth team and we all know how you feel about players that bounce around. 

But if the Yankees sign him then it would be a great deal.  Weird how he forgot about how many teams Maybin played for the minute he went to the Yankees. 

Shows how so many predictions and presumptions never seem to materialize as expected. Adell has been projected to be the likely starter in RF next season for a long time. But reality often has a way of disrupting things. 

In fact Adell's career is still in a holding pattern. Even without the injuries he wasn't having a great season at SLC. Realistically he could have had a decent second half and deserves a call up in September. But we'll never know now.

Assuming he recovers well and is in good condition by training camp I would think he goes back to SLC and has to prove his trajectory still is as high as expected. But that means lots of work and better results than this season. 

I don't think he gets called up to the majors next year  till at least a few months in even if he progresses nicely. This season was a set back, and the team needs to be cautious and not prematurely put him in a high pressure environment. 

Outfield shouldn't be a high priority next year. Upton (like it or not) and Trout are fixtures.  If Calhoun is back (I say 50/50) then we should expect roughly similar production. If not, Goodwin is a reasonable solution. Less power than Kole, but better average and probably 15 homer potential. Biggest loss is on defense, but not as bad as Upton. Other options are also available ( Herm in platoon) and trade/free agents are always in the mix.

On the field Puig would match Calhoun for power and arm strength.  Kole is a better overall fielder. But over all, I just don't see him fitting in Angel chemistry. With all his movement between teams it's hard to picture him as a long term fixture. And short term doesn't make sense unless Adell is downgraded or they somehow dispose of Upton. 

Calhoun makes the most sense for two years, and takes the pressure off Adell to be rushed. But contract wise it may be too big a commitment to make. Maybe if they can work out a 'hometown discount' with a team option again. 

One of the more interesting off season issues besides the ever present pitching questions.

people putting stock in his 2019 AAA performance probably also put stock in his 2018 AA performance.  

this is not an indication of him being less of a player than we thought but merely that he's not ready and still has some adjustments to make.  

He's the youngest player in the PCL right now.  

He's younger than Soto, Guerrero jr., Tatis, etc.  He'd be the youngest player in mlb right now.  

they're not gonna exercise Calhoun's option.  They're not going to spend more than the league min to fill RF prior to next season.  He's gonna adjust.  Let it play out.  

It's reasonable to consider everything.  Many young hitters these days dominate even more in the PCL.   Guerrero Jr always had much better BB/K numbers.  He's not exactly killing it in the majors.   I'm surprised Adell has struggled this much in AAA. Is he a bust?  Far from it.  Will it affect this offseason?   Probably not with Goodwin and others around at a low cost.   It's absolutely worth mentioning and discussing, though.