• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Albert Pujols looks for bounceback season after two more sugeries

AngelsWin.com

TEMPE, Ariz. — As is his custom, Albert Pujols answers questions about his future by referring to his past.

The day before the first full-squad workout of Pujols’ 19th season in the majors, he was asked if he feels the need to prove to anyone that he can again approach the lofty heights he reached earlier in his Hall of Fame career.

“I don’t need to show anybody, man,” Pujols said on Sunday morning in the Angels clubhouse. “My job is to just try to be healthy and help this ballclub to win a championship. I don’t think I need to show anybody. I know what I can do when I’m healthy, and that’s what I try to do.”

Pujols, 39, enters this season after a pair of surgeries, arthroscopic procedures on his left knee in August and his right elbow in September.

Pujols has had a total of five surgeries since joining the Angels, including a knee procedure in October 2012, and foot surgeries in November 2015 and December 2016.

He said he was happy the most recent ones occurred earlier in the calendar, allowing for a mostly normal offseason afterward.

“I’m really excited with where I’m at right now,” Pujols said.

How that manifests itself on the field remains to be seen.

In 117 games last year, Pujols hit .245 with 19 homers and a .700 OPS. It was actually a slight improvement from his numbers (.241 and .672) the year before.

Pujols also played 70 games at first base last year, making room for Shohei Ohtani at designated hitter. It was twice as many as he’d played in the previous two years combined.

This season, the Angels are going to have Pujols start the season at DH, with Justin Bour at first, while they wait for Ohtani to return. Ohtani is expected by sometime in May. After that, if all three players are healthy, manager Brad Ausmus will have to juggle the playing time.

Ausmus has said repeatedly that performance will dictate who plays.

They’ll get an idea of Pujols’ health and performance level gradually, working him slowly through spring training.

“The most important thing in spring training is making sure he’s healthy going into the season,” Ausmus said. “We certainly don’t want to overload him here and have an issue in April or May. That’s the game plan. It’s going to evolve as we go, but we’re going to be cautious out of the gate.”

Pujols said he’s not worried about how much he plays in spring training, as long as he’s ready by opening day.

He said he knows how to get ready, and has not made any significant adjustments to his routine.

“You adjust here and there but I always say, ‘Why would you fix something that isn’t broken?’” he said. “It’s been successful for me for more than 20 years as a professional. So I think if you’re healthy you don’t need to change anything. For me, it’s been the same training. Maybe I adjusted the volume of the work, but it’s the same intensity and same routine since Day One.”

As usual, Pujols said his focus is on winning a championship, and he believes the Angels actually have the pieces in place for that, if they can stay healthy.

“I think with everyone in here now, this is my eighth year, and every year we have a really quality, championship ballclub,” Pujols said. “The thing is, the injuries that you get during the season and there’s guys that you’re depending on. When you lose last year half of your starting pitchers for the rest of the year, it’s really tough. It’s hard to compete like that. God willing, if we stay healthy I think we have a really good team right here to get back in that position that we want.”

View the full article

5 hours ago, AngelsWin.com said:

“You adjust here and there but I always say, ‘Why would you fix something that isn’t broken?’” he said. “It’s been successful for me for more than 20 years as a professional."

I think they got one of Sosh's quotes in there by mistake.

6 hours ago, AngelsWin.com said:

"You adjust here and there but I always say, ‘Why would you fix something that isn’t broken?’” he said. “It’s been successful for me for more than 20 years as a professional. So I think if you’re healthy you don’t need to change anything.

Pujols, you're broken. You've been broken every damn season with the Angels, you're not healthy and literally cannot run. 

Change something you dumbass.

“I don’t need to show anybody, man,” Pujols said on Sunday morning in the Angels clubhouse. “My job is to just try to be healthy and help this ballclub to win a championship. I don’t think I need to show anybody. 

In a vacuum, what he's said isn't wrong.  He actually doesn't have to prove anything to anyone.  He's right that his job is to try to help the team win a championship.  

Truly, what adjustments is he going to make at this point that would change him into a better player?  Especially as it relates to his off season routine.  

I know what I can do when I’m healthy, and that’s what I try to do.”

Maybe he thinks he still good, but that's not what he is actually saying.  

His umbrage is what gets fans annoyed.  But why would we ever expect him to admit that he's not as good as he used to be?  

At the end of the day, he's tasked with preparing for the season as is every other player.  He doesn't fill out the lineup card.  If he finds offense at playing less due to a lack of production then he can go pound sand.  But it's not his fault if they play him and he sucks.