• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2020 Democratic Field

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Huh? I feel like that's a different issue.

I think the real issue is that college is too dang expensive. It's ridiculous how much universities charge students, and they do it because of 1) guaranteed loans and 2) greed. I honestly think that making public college free would be really good for our economy, because students could pursue their dreams without having to go into major debt. 

Well, those that academia find acceptable anyway. 

21 hours ago, Taylor said:

I think the real issue is that college is too dang expensive. It's ridiculous how much universities charge students, and they do it because of 1) guaranteed loans and 2) greed. I honestly think that making public college free would be really good for our economy, because students could pursue their dreams without having to go into major debt. 

There's no such thing as free college. Someone has to pay for it.

My issue with "free" public college is that we already have situations where people who really shouldn't be going to college do.  I'm not saying they don't have the right I'm saying too many people already go to college because it's expected of them when they'd be better off getting a job and getting experience or learning a trade.  I spent two years at OCC and I lost track of how many people I ran into over the years who spent 5+ years there because it was an extension of high school and they were just going through the motions.  Some of them ended up moving on to and graduating from another school while some didn't and to this day there's a few who make a big deal about "going back" and don't even make it through the semester.  Taxpayers shouldn't be footing the bill while able bodied adults are trying to figure things out.   

College is optional.  If you wanna go, shop for the right deal and pay for it yourself.

It’s that simple.

And by the way, my two richest friends did not go to college.  They both went straight to work and then started their own businesses.

We have to stop this narrative that everybody should go to college.  Given the cost today, I might argue that fewer people than ever should be going to college. . . Until the product becomes more affordable again.

22 hours ago, Taylor said:

https://fee.org/articles/how-government-guaranteed-student-loans-killed-the-american-dream-for-millions/

https://fee.org/articles/blaming-the-wrong-culprit-for-rising-college-costs/

22 hours ago, Taylor said:

I think the real issue is that college is too dang expensive. It's ridiculous how much universities charge students, and they do it because of 1) guaranteed loans and 2) greed. 

several years ago there was a CA ballot initiative about school vouchers (it ended up failing). I was talking to my principal at the time and asked him what he thought it might do to our school finances if it passed. he said that one of the things he would do would be to double the cost of tuition.

3 hours ago, Tank said:

several years ago there was a CA ballot initiative about school vouchers (it ended up failing). I was talking to my principal at the time and asked him what he thought it might do to our school finances if it passed. he said that one of the things he would do would be to double the cost of tuition.

This really shocks me 

cough

Here is the thing about free public school for all.  I'll put UCLA as an example.  Right now, 44k go to UCLA.  If you made UCLA free, would that number increase, decrease or stay the same.  I would say it would stay the same, because you already have a fixed number of structures, and faculty.  You could increase structures and faculty, but that would cost more money, and if tuition is free, where is that money coming from?  

Then I'll add USC into the mix.  About 44k students go there also.  But it's a private school, so no such freebie.  So how does this affect free public school for all?  If you make UCLA free, then those that don't have rich parents and go to USC racking up tuition will then go to UCLA.  Thus where you have 44k going to UCLA, now 15k get shut out because all the smart students will realize, that free is better than bills.  It won't hurt USC at all, because it'll then be easier for Loughlin and Huffmans kids to attend.  

In the end, free public school for all is the same pipe dream as free healthcare for all is.  In theory, it's great.  But you don't have enough schools or hospitals already.  So making it free will only make a nightmare situation even worse.  Unless you really think it's easy and cheap to just pop up university structures and hospitals in todays climate.

On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:53 AM, Taylor said:

MAGA, I trust your perspective on this issue because you're close to my age. But for any of you older dudes who went to college when it was $1,000 a semester, your opinion is obsolete.

$2,000 per year 45 years ago when you adjust for inflation is still a pretty big number.  

1 hour ago, LAAMike said:

$2,000 per year 45 years ago when you adjust for inflation is still a pretty big number.  

I  bothered to look it up and $2000 for tuition in 1962 (when I started college - yes I am older that dirt) is equal to $16,960 in today's dollars and I am sure that room and board and books, etc. have gone up in a similar manner.  I understand that the cost of college has outpaced inflation but I think that guaranteed student loans have had a large hand in that.  I do agree that there are too many attending college today and this glut of college graduates has made a college degree the new norm for getting a job that could have been met with a high school diploma back then.  

7 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Biden's already campaigning on the Gilroy mass shooting. His latest tweet:

"This violence is not normal. How many more families will have to lose a loved one before we fix our broken gun laws? We must take action, starting with real reform."

Got to hit those buzz words as quickly as possible

23 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Biden's already campaigning on the Gilroy mass shooting. His latest tweet:

"This violence is not normal. How many more families will have to lose a loved one before we fix our broken gun laws? We must take action, starting with real reform."

Do these people even realize what Ca laws are?  Never-mind its obvious they do not.  WE have among the most, if not the most restrictive laws, and limitations on ammo purchase.  and yet it has prevented virtually nothing.  Using anything that happens in CA under this rhetoric is just a blatant lie.  

10 minutes ago, Adam said:

They won't rest until all guns are banned

Clearly, yet they do not have the ball to say so.
Just as they dont have the courage to admit they want open borders even though literally everything the suggest is that.
They lack conviction of their beliefs in my opinion.  If they truly thought they were right they would say so, instead they prey on emotion.  
Doesnt really matter supporting those 2 things will kill any candidate until such time as mob rule (aka popular vote) is implemented and its the primary reason it never should be. 
Its bad enough that half the state of CA dont get thier votes counted due to block votes overriding half the districts in the state (something that should be abolished as overriding votes is surely illegal) , if that goes national were doomed.