• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Biden

I know fuck all about economics but I don't see how it's even possible to do this. The company I work for would have to close, that is, unless the funding goes up by tens of thousands a year, but where does that come from?

Not to mention, what about the people who have worked their ass off for 10-15 years to get up to a wage like that? Now Joe Schmo gets hired off the street and is making the same? You'd have to adjust and give everyone an appropriate raise to compensate, which is more magic money coming from the ass of America.

Someone explain to me how this works. Yes, taxes blah blah blah. That seems like it would be a pretty fucking huge tax hike. Then what? The people making $15 an hour are paying significantly more in taxes so it kinda offsets the entire increase anyway.

The minimum wage DOES need to increase. The unemployment fiasco proved that. But $15 an hour is double my state's minimum wage. I have no clue how that would work.

Oh, and rent? Landlords are going to hike that shit up immensely. "Well you're making $15 an hour now, so you should be able to afford an extra $500 a month."

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I know fuck all about economics but I don't see how it's even possible to do this. The company I work for would have to close, that is, unless the funding goes up by tens of thousands a year, but where does that come from?

Not to mention, what about the people who have worked their ass off for 10-15 years to get up to a wage like that? Now Joe Schmo gets hired off the street and is making the same? You'd have to adjust and give everyone an appropriate raise to compensate, which is more magic money coming from the ass of America.

Someone explain to me how this works. Yes, taxes blah blah blah. That seems like it would be a pretty fucking huge tax hike. Then what? The people making $15 an hour are paying significantly more in taxes so it kinda offsets the entire increase anyway.

The minimum wage DOES need to increase. The unemployment fiasco proved that. But $15 an hour is double my state's minimum wage. I have no clue how that would work.

Oh, and rent? Landlords are going to hike that shit up immensely. "Well you're making $15 an hour now, so you should be able to afford an extra $500 a month."

I think you have a good grasp as it isn't overly complicated. Of course it should be raised but it has to be done over a certain length of time or it would be devastating to many businesses. When I think minimum wage, I think of jobs that my daughter may have when she turns 16 later this year and works a dozen or so hours a week and that pay will be just fine for her. I hate to sound like a complete asshole but if you're working minimum wage for years at a time then you have other problems with your life that you need to sort out or you made some really bad decisions early on. Either way there are plenty of avenues for someone to better themselves and learn some skills so you aren't stuck in a minimum wage job. Just my opinion though. It's kind of funny but both sides can make a good argument for themselves on this topic.   

1 minute ago, Jason said:

I think you have a good grasp as it isn't overly complicated. Of course it should be raised but it has to be done over a certain length of time or it would be devastating to many businesses. When I think minimum wage, I think of jobs that my daughter may have when she turns 16 later this year and works a dozen or so hours a week and that pay will be just fine for her. I hate to sound like a complete asshole but if you're working minimum wage for years at a time then you have other problems with your life that you need to sort out or you made some really bad decisions early on. Either way there are plenty of avenues for someone to better themselves and learn some skills so you aren't stuck in a minimum wage job. Just my opinion though. It's kind of funny but both sides can make a good argument for themselves on this topic.   

It will be a gradual increase. To the Dawg's point though it probably really is better left up as a state decision. I know a $15 increase just passed in Florida by a pretty wide margin. 

Just now, st1ckboy said:

It will be a gradual increase. To the Dawg's point though it probably really is better left up as a state decision. I know a $15 increase just passed in Florida by a pretty wide margin. 

I would assume the length of time with the increase could be an issue with some senators. I honestly do not know enough to say how long it should be or what they are even proposing. 

29 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

He can say that while he works behind the scenes to make sure it never reaches his desk 

This is 100% correct.  

This is how the Democratic Party works.  If anything does get passed ever, it’ll be some bullshit like 12.50 by 2037.  But nothing is going to pass.  We’re more likely to see a bill pass that makes using the words Israel and apartheid in the same paragraph an imprisonable type of hate speech.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

12 minutes ago, Jason said:

It's actually pretty easy to get into a job that pays significantly more than minimum wage. Retail is shitty as hell, I worked it for over a decade and you might see a quarter raise every year. Took me 5 years to get to $10. Unless you're a manager it's not worth it.

Most places DO pay more than the minimum, but not everyone requires experience. They'll say that on the job listing but generally that's what they WANT, not the only thing they'll accept. Same with college experience. Plus, what's the worst that happens if you apply? They don't hire you.

I think if you accept a minimum wage position, you're making a bad decision. Obviously there are people out there who can only do so much, also people with felony convictions, but still.

I have no skills, no college experience, nothing. I got hired at an investment company at $17 an hour. With nothing.

Put a little effort into your resume and make a good impression on your interview and honestly I think you can get hired anywhere. Obviously some jobs literally REQUIRE skills that can't be trained on the spot, but there's something out there for everyone.

37 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

Exactly, it should be a state, or even a city/county decision.  Every state is different.  $15 in Calolfornia vs $15 in Wyoming, is still $15.  But in Calolfornia where your rent can be in the thousands vs Wyoming where rent is a few hundred, it makes a huge difference.  All it's going to do is jack up the prices bigly all over the country.  Heck even within a state, $15 in Santa Monica minimum is different than $15 in Barstow.  

The national minimum wage should be the minimum that is agreeable in all states.  And let the states, counties, and cities increase it as they see fit.

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

The minimum wage increases are subsidized by the people making a little bit above the minimum wage and the people who would be making below it.

Just now, tdawg87 said:

So like, servers, who are paid lower because of tips?

Potentially, but generally I am referring to people who are no longer hired because they are not worth the higher rate.

In a more practical sense this is more often played out in scheduling. Pedro makes $12/hr and does an adequate job while Jose makes $14/hr and kicks ass, The wage goes up to $15 for both, suddenly Pedro doesn't see his name on the schedule so much anymore.

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Potentially, but generally I am referring to people who are no longer hired because they are not worth the higher rate.

In a more practical sense this is more often played out in scheduling. Pedro makes $12/hr and does an adequate job while Jose makes $14/hr and kicks ass, The wage goes up to $15 for both, suddenly Pedro doesn't see his name on the schedule so much anymore.

Why did you use Hispanic names in your example?

Racist.

2 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

And Jose is told to work twice as hard.