• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

Thanks @Lou  I wasn't expecting much from Cam but he stopped and looked over the flag my son was having everyone sign.  Gave him a fist bump and walked over to sign for others.  They asked to take a pic with him and my son says he wants a picture with him.  I told him we missed our chance.  Next thing I know, Cam is standing there ready to take the picture.  We held up the flag and took some pics.  I'll upload them when I get them off the camera.  It was surprising and cool.  BTW, I always look forward to reading your comments.  

@mtangelsfan  C'mon man!  I know the snow has you down but it's spring and baseball is just around the corner.  MT is a big state but not many people, we probably know each other.  haha.  Plus, I'm in the Bakken too.  Might have to meet up and watch the Angels and throw back some beers.  What do you say?  

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

But

Newcomb
Jewell
Anderson
Mahle
Adam McCreery (traded for Chacin.)
Ward
Fletcher

I guess they're also including a guy named John Bormann who we drafted in the 19th round in 2014 but never signed?  He was then picked in the 24th round by Pitt next year.  He's a backup backup catcher. 

so two first round picks, four relievers, a backup C, and a util inf.  

high floor

low ceiling

btw, probably 3/4th of those players are relievers. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

Newcomb
Jewell
Anderson
Mahle
Adam McCreery (traded for Chacin.)
Ward
Fletcher

I guess they're also including a guy named John Bormann who we drafted in the 19th round in 2014 but never signed?  He was then picked in the 24th round by Pitt next year.  He's a backup backup catcher. 

so two first round picks, four relievers, a backup C, and a util inf.  

high floor

low ceiling

btw, probably 3/4th of those players are relievers. 

"This boy's got a purty mouth."

15 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

What’s the deal with Torri Hunter Jr ? Seems like he can field (great play today) can he hit at all ?  What’s the outlook ?

Fast, instinctual, well liked among players and coaches. Athletic enough that if it clicks, he'd be major league ready almost immediately. He's strong enough to hit for power, but it doesn't see, like his swing is geared toward that. Last year he was pretty raw offensively but as I understand, that's been a focus this winter and spring which is pitch recognition and selection. 

What he did in Orem and much of last year is actually pretty remarkable when you consider he was essentially working off athleticism alone. He wasn't as much of a baseball player as much as he was a former football player playing baseball. 

If you forget his age and just try to picture him as basically a 21 year old instead of a 24 year old (he basically lost his age 19-21 years of development while he was playing WR at Norte Dame), then he's actually a prospect to keep an eye on. His speed and defense can definitely impact the game. 

If he can make the adjustments at the plate, then he would make an ideal 4th OF, because he really is a good defender with great reads and lots of range, and he's got borderline 80 grade speed. He hasn't fully embraced the base stealing part of the game yet, all he was doing was trying to run fast and he managed to steal 29 bases. With learning the subtlety of reads, steps, moves, slides....he could routinely steal quite a bit more. 

On 3/22/2019 at 8:21 PM, UndertheHalo said:

What’s the deal with Torri Hunter Jr ? Seems like he can field (great play today) can he hit at all ?  What’s the outlook ?

Basically, Michael Hermosillo before Michael Hermosillo became current Michael Hermosillo. 

Spring stats and all, but this is still good to see:

Jo Adell: .391/.462/.478/.940 with 2 doubles 3 BB, 7 K in 11 G/23 PA
Matt Thaiss: .325/.372/.600/.972 with 4 doubles, 2 triples, 1 HR, 3 BB, 8 K in 19 G/40 AB
Taylor Ward: .250/.291/.442/.733 with 2 doubles, 1 triple, 2 HR, 2 BB, 16 K in 18 G/52 AB
Brandon Marsh: .240/.333/.360/.693 with 1 double, 4 BB, 6 K in 12 G/22 AB
Jared Walsh: .333/.467/.792/1.258 with 5 doubles, 2 HR, 5 BB, 4 K in 14 G/24 AB
Jose Rojas: .412/.474/.765/1.238 with 6 doubles, 2 HR, 4 BB, 6 K in 17 G/34 AB
Jack Kruger: .333/.364/.611/.980 with 1 triple, 1 HR, 1 BB, 2 K in 12 G/18 AB
Luis Rengifo: .250/.333/.292/.625 with 1 double, 4 BB, 5 K in 14 G/24 AB

Ward is showing good power, hopefully his minor league discipline comes along. 
Rengifo doesn't have a nice slash, but has shown enough to lead me to think last year wasn't a fluke.
Thaiss might have a huge year in SLC...and I think they'll continue to be aggressive with Marsh's development.
If Walsh, Rojas, and Kruger can become at least replacement level, optionable depth in '19 and '20, it's a big, big win for us. 

Edited by totdprods

22 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

One step closer to trading Cozart by July, albeit likely eating at least half of his remaining salary ($9.5 million out of $19 million remaining by July)

FWIW, Cozart's at .333/.391/.571/.963 with 3 XBH, 1 BB, 1 K through 23 PA. 

I'm still optimistic Cozart can fall into a .250/.320/.420/.740 type guy. 

54 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

The 3B defense seems mediocre though. 

Yeah I like him more at second. 

Still, maybe he’ll come around defensively - not uncommon for SS to wind up at 3B but there’s usually some growing pains. I’ll give him a pass for a couple months. 

I've lost my patience with Cozart.  He really wasn't that good with the Reds, save for one year, his contract year.  there should've been red flags going off everywhere before signing.  Defense first infielder with a long history of being injury prone, with inflated numbers coming from an NL bandbox.

I really didn't like it when the Angels signed him and predictably, he struggled.  In fact he sucked.

This year, my expectations for him are minimal.  A .290 OBP with middling power and mediocre defense at the hot corner.  He's make a below average offensive second baseman which would be offset by his above average ability defensively.  But at third base?  He's just the worst.  The sooner they can get rid of him, the better.