• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

Couple questions on some less highly-touted names:

1. Dan Jennings - how’d this guy only get a minor league deal. Numbers look good? Something in the peripherals? 

2. Peter Bourjos - never had SB numbers like his first two seasons with us. Has his speed fallen off or are his reads pretty bad?

3. Could we see someone like Garneau surprise break the season as Lucroy’s backup? Or is he too far down the depth chart? I’m probably being biased by small sample size, but our depth seems lackluster all around.

4. Walsh seems early in his 2-way development, but with what we’ve been seen so far, what’s the chances we see him in the bigs this year? Maybe if we see all of the following; BP struggles, Pujols goes to DL, Bourjous/Herm underperforming?

1 hour ago, axalar said:

1. Dan Jennings - how’d this guy only get a minor league deal. Numbers look good? Something in the peripherals? 

2. Peter Bourjos - never had SB numbers like his first two seasons with us. Has his speed fallen off or are his reads pretty bad?

3. Could we see someone like Garneau surprise break the season as Lucroy’s backup? Or is he too far down the depth chart? I’m probably being biased by small sample size, but our depth seems lackluster all around.

4. Walsh seems early in his 2-way development, but with what we’ve been seen so far, what’s the chances we see him in the bigs this year? Maybe if we see all of the following; BP struggles, Pujols goes to DL, Bourjous/Herm underperforming?

Boujos was never good at stealing bases.

2 hours ago, axalar said:

1. He can be a bit HR happy when it isn't all clicking. 

2. Bourjos never had 90 feet speed.  He gets up to top speed slowly but once he's there, it's something to watch. It was never about reading pitchers as much as a lack of athleticism to use it to its fullest potential. The difference between tools and athleticism can be really subtle. 

3. Literally anyone can be the back up catcher.  Briseno and Smith have not done anything to separate themselves from the pack. 

4. I wonder the same thing.  Walsh can hit,  but I don't feel he is as good as Thaiss. And he can play the outfield,  but since it's only corner outfield,  and our starting LF/RF can't play CF, it doesn't make him a fit for either unless one of the starters is injured and replaced by Bourjos or Herm. And he is showing some promise on the mound though, but enough to crack the crowd bullpen were already have? Not sure about that.

Jose Rojas looks like an intriguing option.  He emerged last year, with a nice display of power and some versatility (3B/1B/2B).  It seems like he's had the bulk of his playing time at 3B overall.  Could he possibly be a 3B option if Ward doesn't pan out, or does he profile more as a utility type?

49 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Jose Rojas looks like an intriguing option.  He emerged last year, with a nice display of power and some versatility (3B/1B/2B).  It seems like he's had the bulk of his playing time at 3B overall.  Could he possibly be a 3B option if Ward doesn't pan out, or does he profile more as a utility type?

He certainly deserves a look.  Whether he gets one or not will depend on whether the halos can look past his pedigree.  

9 of the top 10 prospects as ranked by AW could make their major league debut in 2019.  

Thaiss, Sandoval, Ward (already has), Rengifo, Jones, Suarez, Marsh, Canning, Adell.  

In all likelihood though it will be Thaiss, Rengifo, Suarez and Canning.  Maybe Adell late in the year while we'll see Jones, Marsh and Sandoval at AA/AAA.  I'm sure we'll also see Walsh, maybe Rojas, and a few pen arms like Rhoades etc.  

Rojas hit really well in high-A ball in 2017 in his first full MiLB season, but struggled in AA.   Then in 2018, he had a .935 OPS in AA with 41 XBH's in just over 300 at bats, before struggling in 69 at bats in AAA with a .494 OPS.

Is he one of those guys who needs a little time to adjust to a new level, and then mashes after that?   

Not bad results at all though, for a late rounds pick out of college just 2.5 years later

4 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Rojas hit really well in high-A ball in 2017 in his first full MiLB season, but struggled in AA.   Then in 2018, he had a .935 OPS in AA with 41 XBH's in just over 300 at bats, before struggling in 69 at bats in AAA with a .494 OPS.

Is he one of those guys who needs a little time to adjust to a new level, and then mashes after that?   

Not bad results at all though, for a late rounds pick out of college just 2.5 years later

he did very well in the venezuelan summer league too.  would be interested to hear if he changed his approach at all last year or if it's just getting experience.  He sure seems like he can put bat to ball well.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

@Jeff Fletcher am I correct that minor league camp starts today?  

I know most of the players have been there for awhile.  I understand that most fans aren't as interested in what's going on there, but are you planning on doing a backfield report or update periodically?  

I believe it does open today. 

Generally I only go back there if there is some interesting story. Most all of the prospects interesting to fans are in big league camp. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I believe it does open today. 

Generally I only go back there if there is some interesting story. Most all of the prospects interesting to fans are in big league camp. 

OK, I'll bite.  Any news on Nate Smith?  Where does he stand on his rehab from his shoulder surgery?

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Interesting that Calhoun was in CF yesterday.  If that is an option it opens up the possibility of someone like Walsh or Cowart being the 4th OF. Could give them some options for the roster. 

Coupled with Fletcher having picked up some time in the corners, this does seem to be a possibility.

I would imagine Cowart is gonna get first dibs since he’s already on the 40 and out of options. Which I’m okay with. If he can pitch and give us great defense at multiple spots and some relief help here or there, that’s pretty good for the last roster spot.

Last spring, I had hopes the Angels would turn him into Andrew Romine and that seems to be happening, with the added perk that he can pitch more than a traditional UT player. When you compare Cowart’s offensive output to similar guys like Romine, Coghlan, Amarista, Alcantara...his bat is actually really good.

On 3/3/2019 at 3:40 PM, Warfarin said:

What's up? Sorry for leaving my favorite sidepiece alone all winter, needed a few month break from baseball for the first time in years. Jokes aside... as usual, I agree with you. Would love one of those that actually see the milb games to chime in. 

Why? Because how on earth does a guy break out for us in AA (our most pitcher friendly ballpark/league), with massively increased power, plate discipline and next to no increase in K rate? That's rare. What I'd guess is even more rare, though, is to do that across a substantial number of PA (352) and then to get promoted to the Bees and not hit a single HR in 73 PA.

It's a real head scratcher to me.  This is one of those times actual scouting would be extremely helpful. 

Seriously, some of those guys have been looking mighty good in Cactus. Thiass and Briceño both bode well for the future. Thaiss is obviously stymied behind his position; looks like first is locked up. But, hey, who knows? He could be starting every game come May. No disrespect to AP intended. (I actually think AP has been promising in Spring, but...well...)

4 hours ago, Cody Pendant said:

Seriously, some of those guys have been looking mighty good in Cactus. Thiass and Briceño both bode well for the future. Thaiss is obviously stymied behind his position; looks like first is locked up. But, hey, who knows? He could be starting every game come May. No disrespect to AP intended. (I actually think AP has been promising in Spring, but...well...)

Matt Thaiss is good enough that they won't keep his bat out of the lineup for long. Before,  Albert was still in the lineup because there weren't any alternatives. And little by little, we've seen that change. His production continues to fall, there's a new manager writing the lineup card, DH is no longer an option with Ohtani in the lineup, he's competing directly with Bour, and he has Thaiss and Walsh both in AAA, particularly Thaiss who looks every bit the part of a starting 1B, and was drafted in the first round by the current GM, not the one that signed Pujols. 

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Matt Thaiss is good enough that they won't keep his bat out of the lineup for long. Before,  Albert was still in the lineup because there weren't any alternatives. And little by little, we've seen that change. His production continues to fall, there's a new manager writing the lineup card, DH is no longer an option with Ohtani in the lineup, he's competing directly with Bour, and he has Thaiss and Walsh both in AAA, particularly Thaiss who looks every bit the part of a starting 1B, and was drafted in the first round by the current GM, not the one that signed Pujols. 

I agree and hope to see him swinging away in the white and red. A lot of interesting changes coming after Ohtani starts DH’ing. Spring’s eternal hope?