• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

On 2/21/2019 at 8:46 PM, Second Base said:

Pretty optimistic. 

Adell - Pretty much what I see, except I don't think he will be a September call up.

Canning - He'll be a front of the rotation starter someday, but I think that is going to take a few years. He'll take his lumps first. 

Marsh - Bingo. I think he going to catch Adell in terms of development. He won't be his equal as a prospect, but every Jordan needs a Pippen.

Suarez - Left handed Barria. Which is a young back end starter. 

Jones - Huge breakout. We saw it in the AFL. Legitimate 20/20 starting 2B. Will arrive at the same time as Marsh and Adell. 

Rengifo - Good take on him. 

Adams - Will breakout because of a focus on baseball and furtheand development. Numbers will be inflated by pioneer league, which is always fun. Remember what that did for Cowart's stock?

Ward - I see a better version of Cowart. First round pick with a sudden breakout and he is major leagle ready, but that's where he stops. 

Sandoval - There's some untapped potential there. The numbers show it but the stuff hasn't taken a step forward yet like I think it will, like the Astros ought it would when they signed him for an overslot bonus. 

Thaiss - This is how I see it playing out. Pujols and Bour will both produce pretty much nothing. And Thaiss, will keep getting better and better in AAA. He'll take over 1B in August and will be halfway decent. But entering 2020, the Angels will want better than decent, and will be looking for ways to keep Upton's bat in the lineup while also playing Marsh. So Upton will play 1B half the time, and DH the other half when Ohtani isn't. That means Thaiss will be playing 1B the other half of the time. So he won't ever be a star, but he'll be a decent part time player. 

If the Angels plan on making Adell their starting RFer in 2020, then a Sept call-up seems likely - at least if he progresses as hoped. Of course they'll probably want to keep him down next year until May to add that extra year of club control.

I really hope to see the Adell-Marsh combo some day. Unlike Jordan-Pippen, when the former was better than the latter in almost every way and every year, I think Marsh will sneak in and hit for higher averages and better plate discipline. My hope is that Adell turns into a .290/.350/.550, 35+ HR 20+ SB guy, while Marsh hits .300/.370/.480, 20+ HR, 20+ SB. That is obviously very optimistic, but both have that kind of talent.

I don't know why I'm worried about Jones. His performance and talent points to a huge breakout, but for some reason I'm more cautious than you. Hope to be wrong.

I like your Thaiss take - makes sense to me.

So here's my 2020 lineup, at least by mid-season:

C Lucroy

1B Thaiss/Upton

2B Jones

SS Simmons

3B Ward

LF Marsh

CF Trout

RF Adell

DH Ohtani/Upton

Bench: Rengifo, Fletcher, Hermosillo, Pujols, Smith/Briceno

Lucroy will be given a two-year extension with a third year mutual option after having a nice comeback and stabilizing the pitching staff.

^I want to imagine a lineup where all the infielders--Ward, Rengifo, Jones, Fletcher--work out as plus major leaguers. Chances are Fletcher and/or Rengifo ends up as the super UT, both assuming Jones works out, one would be trade bait...unless the Angels decide to let Simmons go, get the compensation pick, and save money.

It is quite the good problem to have.

On the one hand, you have someone that is so good defensively in David Fletcher that you've got a legitimate starting second baseman there. He's also quite adept at making contact, is great in the clubhouse, teammates love his professionalism. But he doesn't hit for power, doesn't reach base at a great clip and isn't necessarily much of threat on the base paths either, though he won't hurt you there either. 

Then there is Luis Rengifo, who is also a good defender, though not as other-worldly good like Fletch. Rengifo is also respected among his teammates, but has a little more flash to him. But the deficit in his defense vs Fletch is more than compensated by a greater offensive profile. More pop, great plate discipline, and while he's about as fast as Fletcher, he's a much more intuitive, aggressive runner on the bases. 

Then there is Jahmai Jones, who would be considered the wild card of the bunch. Over the past year, he's made himself into a decent defensive option at the keystone. His defense won't compare to guys like Fletcher and Rengifo, but he won't hurt you there's either. But with him, it's all offense. No one else's on this list offers the sort of profile he does at the plate. He can hit for average, get on base, hits for considerable power and is faster than either of the previous options. And Jones is perhaps the greatest off the field of the three as every team he's been on, has described him as the team captain. 

Its the classic, fooor, ceiling or middle ground approach. With Fletcher, you're guaranteed to be fine from an overall value standpoint. You don't have to worry about him. With Rengifo, the floor isn't quite as high. If things don't work out, you'll end up being in a place of need, though at his worst he'd still get you by until something more attractive comes along. But with either option, you won't ever be great. Jahmai Jones is your only chance at having elite production at second base. But with Jahmai, if it doesn't work out, you'll be in really bad shape. 

And even when you consider all this, there are countless iterations to consider. The Angels could start Rengifo at 3B, Jones at 2B and use Fletcher as the super utility, spelling them both. Or they could go with Fletcher at 3B and Rengifo at 2B and trade Jones. Or perhaps Simmons decides to depart via free agency and the Angels can go with Fletcher at 3B, Rengifo at SS and Jones at 2B. Maybe Taylor Ward or Cozart end up handling 3B and Rengifo and Fletcher battle it out for 2B, loser gets utility infielder. Maybe Jones breaks out and runs away with 2B and the Angels end up using one of Fletcher and Rengifo at utility infielder and trade the other. 

Each secenario appears just as likely as the others.

A year ago Fletcher looked to be on the Andrew Romine path and Rengifo wasn't even on the radar - just a weird name traded for CJ Cron. Now both are possible starters in the 2019 lineup.

I still think that Fletcher is better viewed as a very useful utility player - the type of guy that can start in case of injury, but you'd still prefer pencilling someone else in. 

But yeah, the next two years should work all of this out. The only thing I'm reasonably sure of is that we have all of the long-term pieces for 2B-SS-3B in Simmons, Fletcher, Rengifo, Jones, and Ward; and then add in Soto, Jackson, and Maitan. 

54 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Pretty pessimistic view of the players eventual outcomes, but good detail.  The only player they project to being anything more than an average major leaguer is Jo Adell.  This isn't a Dipoto-led system anymore.  The Angels have a lot more talent than that. 

Hard ot say whether they're just being conservative or maybe we're too optimistic. Either way, I think Adell is the only one they predict to likely be better than average. Several others--especially Adams--they see as having significant upside.

17 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Hard ot say whether they're just being conservative or maybe we're too optimistic. Either way, I think Adell is the only one they predict to likely be better than average. Several others--especially Adams--they see as having significant upside.

Canning seems like he could be average right now.  Marsh being only an average starter would feel like a let-down in my opinion.  Same with Rengifo.

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Jose Rojas.  Secret weapon!

When's the last time we had a non-prospect become a solid every day regular?  

I like to root for him and guys like Walsh and Jack Kruger and Jeremy Beasley and Mike Hermosillo.  We are due for a little luck with a couple guys.  

Not sure on the hitter side. Maybe Napoli. 

Shoemaker and Anderson come to mind on the mound.

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Jose Rojas.  Secret weapon!

When's the last time we had a non-prospect become a solid every day regular?  

I like to root for him and guys like Walsh and Jack Kruger and Jeremy Beasley and Mike Hermosillo.  We are due for a little luck with a couple guys.  

Kole

From Kiley McDaniel's chat on Fangraphs:

Phillie Phanatic
12:53
after reading your review of the Angels system I was left tantalized by Jordyn Adam's potential. I understand you can really only put a 45+ on him now since he's so raw BUT if everything comes together as you defined in the write up are we talking a 65FV? 70FV? Thanks!

Kiley McDaniel
12:55
It could be Byron Buxton or Royce Lewis, who are generally 65 FVs when it was all coming together, 70 FV possible in the upper minors.

4 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

From Kiley McDaniel's chat on Fangraphs:

Phillie Phanatic
12:53
after reading your review of the Angels system I was left tantalized by Jordyn Adam's potential. I understand you can really only put a 45+ on him now since he's so raw BUT if everything comes together as you defined in the write up are we talking a 65FV? 70FV? Thanks!

Kiley McDaniel
12:55
It could be Byron Buxton or Royce Lewis, who are generally 65 FVs when it was all coming together, 70 FV possible in the upper minors.

Chucks new moniker?