• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

Last year in the 2018 thread, I made a few guesses as to who we should watch and how things might progress...

On 4/6/2018 at 8:53 AM, totdprods said:

Aside from the obvious prospects...
Really interested in seeing how Almonte, Morris, Pena, and Campos fare in AAA. I think Zach Houchins is going to raise some eyebrows too - not sure he'll ever show much in the bigs, and his ABs are going to be hard to come by with Carter, Schimpf, and Fernandez but with regular playing time I could see him becoming a Nick Gorneault-type in SLC; big numbers but ultimately a 4A player. Blash and Liriano both intrigue me still too. Briceno may just be playing himself into 3rd catcher on the depth chart, and I'm still convinced David Fletcher is going to play himself into 2019 starting 2B contention.

If Briceno is playing himself into 3rd catcher turf, Barash and Wass are probably right there with him too. If Jose Rojas can show he can hit and offer some plate discipline in AA, his legitimacy will take a big step forward. Jonah Wesely might be on a Keynan Middleton-type career path and could be in Anaheim before we know it, and if Luis Pena and Jose Rodriguez can find success in Mobile their legitimacy too will take a big step forward. 

I think Jared Walsh is going to have a monster year for Inland Empire. Jack Kruger and Ryan Vega could take a big jump forward if they produce. Luis Rengifo is immensely intriguing. It'll be too little too late, but I could see Baldoquin finding his stroke finally. Nate Bertness came on strong last year, and Carlos Salazar, who is equally wild as he is prolific in the strikeout game, seemed to find some semblance of control after joining the Angels org, is also one to watch. Procopio fits the mold too, and this is make or break year for Joe Gatto. If Suarez starts the season hot in IE, he could find himself on the Jaime Barria fast track.

Burlington is loaded with hitters who absolutely destroyed Orem. Aside from the obvious talents of Adell, Hunter, and Marsh, you have guys like Wenson (1.035 OPS), MacKinnon (1.037), and Sanchez (1.217 OPS) who put up video game slash lines and will be tested in Burlington. Rogalla, Ziemba, and De La Cruz are arms to watch.

AAA:
Missed the mark on Almonte, Morris, and Campos...Pena held his own. Zach Houchins didn't do much to improve his stock, nor did he hurt it.
Blash was a monster at AAA, which wasn't too wild of a guess, but he exceeded even his usual lofty, inflated numbers. Rymer was good while he was here. 
Hit the nail on the head with Fletcher and Briceno, maybe even underestimating Jose.

AA:
Barash retired shortly after that post, and Wass was injured almost all year, so that ended that. 
Jose Rojas continues to shine and prove himself more each day. Wesely had an awful year, but Pena and Rodriguez didn't hurt their status.

A: 
Jared Walsh did indeed have a monster year for Inland Empire...and Mobile...and Salt Lake. Jack Kruger is now where Briceno was this time last year. Ryan Vega played one game. 
Luis Rengifo? Don't need to say much there...Baldoquin sort of took a step forward. 
Bertness and Salazar didn't do squat, Procopio and Gatto didn't do a whole lot to help or hurt. 
Jose Suarez did his best Barria impersonation. 

Rookie:
Wenson vanished, MacKinnon hit .333/.457/.513/.970 with more walks than strikeouts his last 45 games, and I don't even remember who Sanchez was.
Rogalla was good - in the two games he pitched - and Ziemba was mediocre. Kida de la Cruz had a mixed year - 6.20 ERA, but 70 K in 53.2 IP.

I'll work on some 2019 predictions and players to watch soon!

Edited by totdprods

18 hours ago, Second Base said:

It's a rarity to find a prospect I don't recognize.  Adrian de Horta.... never heard of him. But that velo, the extension, the filthy change up,  the ability to throw strikes and the joy and moxie he is showing on the mound. The scout in my is salivating. 

The guy was the last player in the stadium to leave after the game after taking pictures and signing autographs with fans after the game on the 25th. 

6 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Can't wait to see some of our young starters in the system  this year. Who will break out or who'll be the next canning? Looking forward to seeing Hernandez and Bradish pitch,  also  looking forward to how Rodriguez and Soriano do. 

I was really high on Hernandez, but early reports from camp suggest that he isn't as far along as some had hoped.  Many see him ending up in relief, but we will see.  Bradish doesn't have that same sort of upside, but he has more pitchability at the moment. 

43 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Can't wait to see some of our young starters in the system  this year. Who will break out or who'll be the next canning? Looking forward to seeing Hernandez and Bradish pitch,  also  looking forward to how Rodriguez and Soriano do. 

Keep your eye on Stiward Aquino as well.

16 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Did they just miss on Hernandez?   Or he just needs a lot more refining than originally thought?   He was a third round pick out of college.   

he hasn't pitched in an official professional games as of yet.  Let's see how it goes. 

Scouting 11 Hitters Who Stood Out This Spring

Boomer Prinstein is a former Orioles pro scout. He’s writing for Baseball America about players he’s seen in spring training in Arizona this year. Today, he’s looking at young pitchers who stood out. Yesterday, he looked at 11 pitchers who caught his eye.

To qualify for a spot on this list, the player either needs to be a minor leaguer, yet-to-be-established or rising Major Leaguer. A few of the position players may not be considered young in prospect-terms, but in the case of a few, they have yet to establish themselves or realize their potential in the big leagues.

Jo Adell, OF, Angels

I was able to see Adell for the first time this spring before he went down with a sprained ankle and strained hamstring. I came away very impressed. He has a lean, athletic frame that should continue to fill out, and he has a really nice, handsy swing with plus bat speed and impressive contact ability. Adell showed advanced plate discipline for his age and worked counts well, never letting his swing get to big. He consistently made pitchers get him out with quality pitchers instead of expanding the strike zone and chasing pitches. He's the type of player you definitely notice at the plate with his approach and swing. He kind of reminded me of a young Gary Sheffield. It's maybe not quite the same bat speed—Sheffield had some of the best bat speed of all-time—but there’s a lot to like. Even before the injury, Adell was never going to break camp with the club since he’s still so young, but his future is very bright.