• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

18 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

I suspect Duensing was done-singing awhile ago.

Speaking of Duensing - how does he project?  I watched him do a bullpen while in Tempe.  He was on the closest mound and was bringing it.  I actually mumbled 'wow' under my breath on one and this guy standing next to me turned and said "right!?".  Turns out it was Cole's Uncle.  I had a nice visit with him.  Wishing him the best!

23 minutes ago, BadDog said:

Speaking of Duensing - how does he project?  I watched him do a bullpen while in Tempe.  He was on the closest mound and was bringing it.  I actually mumbled 'wow' under my breath on one and this guy standing next to me turned and said "right!?".  Turns out it was Cole's Uncle.  I had a nice visit with him.  Wishing him the best!

Cole is one of those guys that looks great when you're watching him in the bullpen, but once a batter is standing there, he misses the plate. 

27 minutes ago, BadDog said:

fair amount of upside if he can find the plate.  

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Yup - those who haven't come on strong yet are gonna get lapped by the '18 class. 

Thaiss, Marsh, Williams, Rodriguez, Duensing, Torii Jr., Kruger, Lund, Del Valle, Rojas should be interesting to follow this year.  Eppler's first draft class in their third full season.  

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Matain's first chance of the season?  E-5

Such a shame to his defensive game go to garbage as it has. He's athletic enough, with soft hands and a cannon, you would think he'd profile well at third base. 

But I think the bat was always what was going to get him to the majors. Still, that globe will need to improve by leaps and bounds before he's a key cog in an Eppler run team. The team seems to have 1B and DH spoken for now and five years from now. But third base? Unless Ward figures it out, that's his to claim. But he's got to learn how to field his position. 

Thursday, April 4, 2019:

Salt Lake won 11-4 vs. Albuquerque (Rockies)

• Rengifo (SS): 2-6, 2 R, RBI, K
  • Ward: 2-4, 2 R, RBI, 2B, BB, K
  • Thaiss: 3-5, 2 RBI, 2B, BB
  • Walsh (DH): 1-4, HR (1), 2 R, 2 RBI, 2 BB
  • Lund (CF): 2-6, 2 R, 2K, OF assist
  • Briceno: 4-5, GS HR (1), R, 5 RBI
  • Barria: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, BB, 8 K, 2 HR, 85 pitches, 57 strikes
  • Freeman: 1.2 IP, H, BB, K
  • Curtiss: IP, H, 2 BB, 2 K

Mobile vs. Pensacola (Twins) postponed, rain

Inland Empire lost 3-2 vs. Lake Elsinore (Padres)

• Martinez (CF): 0-4, K
  • Rivas (SS): 0-3, BB
  • Hunter (LF): 0-3, R, BB, K
  • K. Williams (DH): 1-4,  HR (1), 2 RBI, R, K
  • Madero: 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K, 66 pitches, 42 strikes
  • Cole (rehab): 0.2 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, BB 0 K
  • Hernandez (debut): 3.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, K

Burlington lost 2-9 at Quad Cities (Astros)

• Adams (CF): 1-3, BB, 2 K
  • Soto (SS): 0-2 , 2 BB, K
  • Maitan (3B): 1-3, 2 errors
  • N. Williams (LF): 0-2, BB, K
  • Soriano: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, HR, 70 pitches, 44 strikes
  • Yan: 2 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K

14 hours ago, totdprods said:

@Jeff Fletcher, any scoop on how Alex Meyer or Nate Smith are doing?

Nate Smith is on the IL still rehabbing so he must have had a setback somewhere. I saw him pitching in an intrasquad game earlier so I guess he got hurt after that. 

Not sure about Meyer but he was a long way away. He was hoping be able to be in the majors in June or July, IIRC.

I'm hoping Maitan can be the Angels version of Miguel Sano.  Someone whose offensive ability clearly propelled him to the major leagues, and because of the incredible body change that took place, is no longer a shortstop but does become a passable 3B in the short term, and likely 1B/DH long term. 

Kevin Maitan has a long way to go before he's acceptable defensively, but hopefully he can get there. 

I watched Aaron Hernandez debut last night.  

He allowed a lot of traffic on the base paths over his 3.1 ip with 2h, 2bb, and a hbp.  K'd the last batter he faced.  

Announcer kept calling him Canning v2.0 and I have to agree.  They said he touched 95 mph with the fastball.  

His delivery and body type are actually pretty similar to Canning.   Opposing team had a hard time squaring him up and I only noticed one hard hit ball (one of the hits he gave up was an oppo double down the line).  

Location was off some but not terrible.  Lot's of strikes and he got a lot of swing and miss on the fastball and some really ugly swings on fairly nasty slider.  The other team seemed intent to just foul pitches off (which they did a lot of) to keep alive in the at bat 

I would call the slider a plus pitch that he threw for strikes and as an out pitch.  

Change up was solid.  good downward armside movement.  Almost more like a split.  

He definitely showed some poise and went right after hitters similarly to Canning in that he wasn't afraid and he did a nice job of pitching out of trouble.  

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

Thursday, April 4, 2019:

Salt Lake won 11-4 vs. Albuquerque (Rockies)

• Rengifo (SS): 2-6, 2 R, RBI, K
  • Ward: 2-4, 2 R, RBI, 2B, BB, K
  • Thaiss: 3-5, 2 RBI, 2B, BB
  • Walsh (DH): 1-4, HR (1), 2 R, 2 RBI, 2 BB
  • Lund (CF): 2-6, 2 R, 2K, OF assist
  • Briceno: 4-5, GS HR (1), R, 5 RBI
  • Barria: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, BB, 8 K, 2 HR, 85 pitches, 57 strikes
  • Freeman: 1.2 IP, H, BB, K
  • Curtiss: IP, H, 2 BB, 2 K

Mobile vs. Pensacola (Twins) postponed, rain

Inland Empire lost 3-2 vs. Lake Elsinore (Padres)

• Martinez (CF): 0-4, K
  • Rivas (SS): 0-3, BB
  • Hunter (LF): 0-3, R, BB, K
  • K. Williams (DH): 1-4,  HR (1), 2 RBI, R, K
  • Madero: 4 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 4 K, 66 pitches, 42 strikes
  • Cole (rehab): 0.2 IP, 4 H, 3 ER, BB 0 K
  • Hernandez (debut): 3.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 2 BB, K

Burlington lost 2-9 at Quad Cities (Astros)

• Adams (CF): 1-3, BB, 2 K
  • Soto (SS): 0-2 , 2 BB, K
  • Maitan (3B): 1-3, 2 errors
  • N. Williams (LF): 0-2, BB, K
  • Soriano: 3.2 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K, HR, 70 pitches, 44 strikes
  • Yan: 2 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 4 K

for IE, Martinez, Rivas, Hunter and Williams all hit the ball hard multiple times.  Hunter made a spectacular diving catch coming in a ball in LF.  Didn't see Williams hr, but he looked good in his other at bat.  Martinez lead off and while he went 0 fer, he looks very hitterish with what seemed like a strong idea of what he's doing up there.  He tracked breaking ball very well.  He stung a ball toward the gap but the OF had him positioned perfectly.  

Hanewich is a beast of a guy.  Has this weird delivery where he kind jump slings the ball like Walden used to.  

For having not pitched in a game since May 2018, Hernandez showed a lot of promise in dealing in high-A ball. 

When I commented earlier, it wasn't meant to say that he was disappointing as much as what someone had mentioned about him not being quite what they expected.   Thinking more about that, it was something best left unsaid on my part. 

How did Madero look?    Sounds like he kept baserunners down (1.00 WHIP over 4 innings), and thus kept the pitch count solid enough at 66.