• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Nats get Corbin - 6/$140m

Dtwncbad

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I guess but aren't most free agent contracts somewhat "ridiculous"?

The fact is the teams have the money.

So I don't care what they make.  I just want good players.

big money for those tier 2/3 starters is the worst bet in all of free agency when they get more than 3 years.  ie, the guy isn't a #1

I think there was something like 31 contracts that fit the criteria over the last 13 years and the only ones that even remotely worked out were for the guys coming out of Asia on their first deal (Tanaka, Darvish, Riu).  The rest have been anywhere from kinda bad to epic disasters.  

We all want good players.  Chances are you are going to eat a shit ton of money out of that group that includes Corbin, Keuchel, Eovaldi.  

That's why you've got to keep those guys on 2yr deals.  

You should care what they make because for every million dollars of crap production we get, that's 1mil less we can spend on a useful player.  

Wouldn't you rather have an additional 12m to spend this year instead of relying on Zack Cozart to rebound?  

the fact is that he teams have the money.  the reality is that most aren't going to spend above a certain point irrespective of that.  We are one of those teams.  

9 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

I guess but aren't most free agent contracts somewhat "ridiculous"?

The fact is the teams have the money.

So I don't care what they make.  I just want good players.

And this is the logic that got us Pujols and Hamilton. You and I are in agreement about a lot of stuff, but the fact is the team we root for is on a budget. So do you really want to blow that budget on someone who isn't great? I don't. Patrick Corbin is not a great pitcher. Max Scherzer is a GREAT pitcher. The Nats will regret one of those deals

7 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

And this is the logic that got us Pujols and Hamilton. You and I are in agreement about a lot of stuff, but the fact is the team we root for is on a budget. So do you really want to blow that budget on someone who isn't great? I don't. Patrick Corbin is not a great pitcher. Max Scherzer is a GREAT pitcher. The Nats will regret one of those deals

No the money wasn't the problem on either of those contracts.

The problem on Pujols was they made a 10 year commitment to a 32 year old.

The problem on Hamilton was he was a drug addict.

I would wholly agree to never give 10 years to a 32 year old again and never sign a substantial financial commitment to a lifelong drug addict.

My position is every quality player worth signing is going to make money that seems a bit outrageous and owner never, ever go broke.

• 3 years later...
35 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

@Dtwncbad is 0-2 on bumps today.  I'm sure he'll argue otherwise.  

How am I 0-2?

What is to argue?

Ward had no trade value (in the context that most people listed him in their trade ideas, as if was going to be a significant piece to land a premium player) and now he is a masher.

The Angels needed a starting pitcher when Corbin was available and basically the whole baseball world overvalued him.

Hey why not go find some “We just locked up a rock solid 3-4 WAR Fletcher for cheap!!!” posts?

On 12/4/2018 at 2:53 PM, Dtwncbad said:

I was wrong 100%.

I many times openly own when I am incorrect.

Ans I also often say when I hope I am wrong.

It isn’t really much of a gotcha when you bump old posts from posters that already admit when they are wrong all the time.

But have fun.

7 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

Granted, they won a WS that season with him pitching well so I guess it was worth it even with how bad these last few years will be

$35M in 2024, his last year under contract. Then another $10M in 2025 just because.

4 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

Granted, they won a WS that season with him pitching well so I guess it was worth it even with how bad these last few years will be

Right.  I think if Pujols helped spearhead a title in his early years, many probably would have said that contract would have been worthwhile.  Corbin helped deliver a title, so even though it's going to end badly, I'm sure their fan base feels it was worth it.

1 hour ago, m0nkey said:

1179088405.jpg.0.jpg

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

Right.  I think if Pujols helped spearhead a title in his early years, many probably would have said that contract would have been worthwhile.  Corbin helped deliver a title, so even though it's going to end badly, I'm sure their fan base feels it was worth it.

First pic of Corbin was my first thought, too.

And couldnt agree more with the Pujols thing.

Pujols had a decent first year after a poor start. And a decent next two.

But he never had one year of "Pujols" here. And as soon as he got here, things went downhill quickly. Obviously not his fault. But his contract played a huge role, and there never was much to feel "connected" to him.

I think he was the richest contract when we signed him? 

10 years, of at the time the richest contract (or close to it), and we got ONE all star year out of him. Thats pathetic no matter how you slice it.