• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Which homer was more important?

Tank

Fisk

gibson’s home run is overrated because of the circumstances surrounding it(his injury). I hate to diminish it, because it truly was a great moment in baseball history, but in terms of importance, if he wasn’t injured, it was just a walk off that won them game 1

also I feel that had he hit it off a different pitcher and had had a less great announcer than Vin Scully been calling it so perfectly, it wouldn’t have the same shine it does . Just my thoughts

This is one of those points affected by fandom, many would also count the co-called shot heard round the world in the conversation.  
For me personally,  between only those 2, its Fisk.
Expand the conversation and Spezio is right there. 
I can also list a couple ill never forget in a negative light, but ill keep it positive :)

I hope I don’t sound like a homer with this one, but honestly speaking Spezio is more important than either of the other two.  Fisk’s home run sent it to a game 7 where they still ended up losing. Gibson’s home run, while iconic because of the injury happened in game one of a serious that went five games.  That series was won because of Hershiser and not because Gibson yanked one in game one.  Spezio’s home run came in an elimination game, that took a blow out of 5-0 to 5-3, in a game where we came back to win and then won the next night to win the series.  

good to see that in a question about two specific home runs, several of you have decided to add your own choice. i shouldn't have expected any less.

feel free to start a speizio/carter/mazeroski thread. meanwhile, let's get back to the question at hand, shall we?

8 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Bill Mazerosk game 7 walk off against the Yankees.

My 6th grade teacher brought in a TV to class so we could watch the World Series.

In the 9th inning of this game Bobby Richardson homered to put the Yankees even. i actually remember watching this game live.  Was 8 years old at the time.

2 minutes ago, Tank said:

good to see that in a question about two specific home runs, several of you have decided to add your own choice. i shouldn't have expected any less.

feel free to start a speizio/carter/mazeroski thread. meanwhile, let's get back to the question at hand, shall we?

Fisk.  HIs homer made game 7 possible. Regardless of the outcome of the series - his homer was more significant, IMO.

The ten HRs I most think of are (in chonological order):

1 -  Babe Ruth's called shot in 1932

2 -  Bobby Thomson's NL winning shot in 1951

3 -  Bill Maseroski's WS winning shot in 1960

4 -  Hank Aaron's career HR record breaking shot in 1974 

5 -  Carlton Fisk's in game 6 of WS in 1975

6  - Dave Henderson's crusher in game 5 of ALCS in 1986 

7 -  Kirk Gibson's in game 1 of WS in 1988

8 -  Joe Carter's WS winning shot in 1993

9 -  Scott Spiezio's rallying shot in game 6 of WS in 2002

10 -  David Freese's game 6 of WS game winning shot in 2011

16 hours ago, Tank said:

Kirk Gibson in game 1 vs. Oakland 1988

or

Carlton Fisk in game 6 vs. Cincy 1975

saw this debate on facebook and thought i'd drop it here. discuss. ready, go.

Personally i think gibson is overrated. It was a great moment, for sure. But it was game 1 of 7.

Ive always thought Luis Gonzales' single in 2001 was a way bigger deal, personally.

I think it's pretty clearly, hands down, Fisk in terms of importance. Gibson's is more memorable IMO because of everything else around it.

All time most important homerun is probably Mazeroski's. His team was at about 75% probability to win the world series when he came up and his homerun turned it into 100%. It's hard for me to think of another single hit that moved the needle that far.

Spiezio's homerun was actually just the 4th biggest hit of the game according to WPA. Erstad's homerun, GA's single and Glaus' double all ranked higher.