• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Who will sign Shohei Ohtani? Not the Angels

Second Base

18 minutes ago, CDiaz27? said:

I would still like to see or read about the pitch the Angels gave Ohtani to come to Anaheim, besides “We have one of the greatest players of all time” 

Judging from the tidbits we've read, Eppler and Ohtani were already familiar and comfortable with one another, Mike Scioscia and Arte Moreno were in it. They gave him basic demographiçal information, had some current players such as Mike Trout speak with him nonchalantly about what it's like to play for the Angels. And the biggest pitch was their plan on how to use him, backed up with numbers, medical reports and scouting. They also developed their own scouting report on him, and as I understand, it was the most detailed comment any of them had ever written. It not only included his strengths, but also the exactly what they'd do to defeat him on the mound and at the plate. 

That last part was a bold move in my opinion. 

On November 30, 2017 at 12:52 PM, UndertheHalo said:

Seriously, I don’t buy this as money for Otani at all.  There are literally 3 teams almost 4 who can offer double the money.  One of those teams being the Yankees.  It’s just not realistic imo.  

That said, I think this is a very deft move to try and sweep up some of the nice adrift Braves prospects.  Perhaps others.

On November 30, 2017 at 2:23 PM, Jason said:

Dodgers or Cubs will land him

On November 30, 2017 at 3:04 PM, Ohtaniland said:

Again it’s about who can accommodate him the best. The Yankees can pretty much give him the DH spot full time if needed. It sucks. 

On November 30, 2017 at 3:54 PM, eaterfan said:

From what I've read, he's not really an every day hitter in MLB. He's a pitcher who can hit. His seeing is too long to work against MLB pitching.

I figure he's a #1 starter who is an 80 runner and can get you 200 ABs in a pinch. A great player to have on the roster. He's not a guy you make room for in a line up.

On November 30, 2017 at 7:23 PM, bloodbrother said:

I don't think he'll be a great hitter but I do believe in his upside in the rotation.

On December 1, 2017 at 6:38 AM, Ohtaniland said:

If this story is accurate or unless something is lost in the translation it sounds like Ohtani doesn’t want to share the spotlight with anyone and wants all of the attention. Buyer beware. 

On December 1, 2017 at 6:40 AM, wopphil said:

He sounds like a diva.

On December 1, 2017 at 8:38 AM, Blarg said:

I hate to burst bubbles but I really think it will be between the Dodgers and Yankees. 

Dodgers beat out the Angels in talent on the field and in the minors plus have gone to the playoffs six seasons in a row with one World Series and are set to repeat. They also have a history that most Japanese ballplayers know of, the Angels have really no Japanese pressence.

Yankees beat the Angels with their history alone but also the talent on the field and first class facilities. You can't beat the Yankees if you want the be the most talked about player in baseball and they will pay to keep that player. It doesn't hurt that they are perrinial playoff contenders in a division that favors hitting. They also have ties with former Japanese players and have Matsui in the front office to pave the way.

Scrap up all the reasons the Angels are a potential candidate and this other two teams wipe them out.

On December 1, 2017 at 10:06 PM, Ohtaniland said:

Just what I was thinking. A team that can provide him with a spot in the rotation and let him DH full time on his non-pitching days is going to sign him. A guy that can throw 100 mph needs to be protected and the DH position is the best way to do that. Oh well.

On December 2, 2017 at 7:11 AM, eaterfan said:

What I'm reading is that his bat really won't play at DH. But he's a really good player if he's a 2-3 type starter who can pinch run late in games. Having a speed guy off the bench in the late innings without having to use a whole roster spot on one is great. It would allow the team to add a power hitter off the bench as a pinch hitter. I personally think he'll be more of a #1 or #2 starter. 

On December 2, 2017 at 6:51 PM, Ohtaniland said:

It’s laughable because the lingering damage done by Dipoto and Arte is probably the reason we won’t get Ohtani. 

i agree 

On December 3, 2017 at 4:04 PM, ten ocho recon scout said:

And this is one of the reasons im not as excited about this guy as maybe i should be. Our recdnt luck with pitchers has been a charlie brown cartoon.

I admit off the bat i dont know a ton about him. News of us being in on him is recent, so i hadnt even followed the guy. So maybe im totally wrong.

But are we targetting him as a pitcher? Thats fine. Is he good? (As in, we're looking at a front end starter? Again, i dont know much about him).

Are we targetting him as a bat? Chuck said hes a hybrid of some big japanese names, which is cool. But it doesnt sound like hed even hit 'most' of the time. So i cant get too excited about that, personally.

Ill support it, because we need the help. Im just not as excited as a lot on here, I guess, because Im not sure what really to expect of this guy. Doc says hes nit even a position player. So i guess part time DH (which unless were talking 4 games a week, IMO, not sure it will be much impact). And from the pitching side i cringe of what our recent luck with pitchers has been.

Id just be more comfortable targetting guys with set roles, personally. But if we sign this guy i hope im dead wrong and you bump this down the road.

ok

2 hours ago, wopphil said:

My post shouldn't be included in this. All I said is that he sounds like a diva - not that the Angels didn't have a chance to sign him or that I didn't want him.

ok

On March 10, 2018 at 8:55 AM, wopphil said:

Are we concerned at all about Ohtani's pitching? Fastball isn't anywhere close to the speed advertised. And his control isn't very good, which shouldn't be a big surprise given some of his walk numbers in Japan.

On November 26, 2017 at 12:27 AM, ukyah said:

i'm not even sure what you guys are talking about anymore.

is it that the angels are not going to trade for stanton? if so, then yes. they are not going to. they are also not going to sign ohtani. there it's all worked out. now let's talk about the guys that they are actually pursuing.

I agree 

On March 9, 2018 at 8:46 PM, Ohtaniland said:

Remember when Scioscia sent Weaver down to AAA for some “seasoning”

I know it’s still way too early but maybe that wouldn’t be such a bad thing to do at the start of the season. It may actually help him relax and work on some things. 

On March 9, 2018 at 10:02 PM, Troll Daddy said:

His offense could hold him back if he wants to hit on a regular basis. I’m not too overly concerned with his pitching yet. 

On March 13, 2018 at 3:38 PM, nando714 said:

Guy just does not look ready. Lots hype but rather him start in SLC and get acclimated to the states 

On March 21, 2018 at 1:09 PM, Ohtaniland said:

It’s been announced that he will be on the Opening Day roster. I’m not sure if that’s the right decision or not.

you know the drill