• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taylor Ward

TroutField

How comfortable would you be going into next season with Taylor Ward at 3rd and Cozart at 2nd with Fletcher the utility guy? 

Do you think 3rd is definitely worthy of an upgrade? 

I think if we can use Ward and add a prospect in we could trade for a decent 3rd baseman. Do you think his struggles last year killed his trade value? 

2 minutes ago, TroutField said:

How comfortable would you be going into next season with Taylor Ward at 3rd and Cozart at 2nd with Fletcher the utility guy? 

I think if we can use Ward and add a prospect in we could trade for a decent 3rd baseman. Do you think his struggles last year killed his trade value? 

Eppler feels very comfortable rolling with either Ward at 3B, Cozart at 2B, or Fletcher at 2B and Cozart at 3B, or Rengifo at 2B and either Cozart, Fletcher or Ward at 3B. He also believes that whatever time Pujols isn't at 1B, can be handled by Thaiss or Walsh. 

Eppler isn't sure what the exact answer is, but of the five, he's confident two or three of them will pan out and become starting quality major leaguers, and he's working with more information and deeper analysis than any of us. And from what I've come to understand, the plan was always for Cozart to play 2B in 2019 and 2020, and judging by what we saw from him defensively over there in 2018, Eppler judged right. 

I think it's becoming very likely we'll see Taylor Ward at 3B in 2019. They believe his struggles were timing related, and that the issue was worked through and corrected the last couple weeks of the season and that explanation passes the eye test.

So that's the Angels. But if you're asking me...

Ward looked night and day different between 2017 and 2018. Extremely comfortable is the box, stronger in build, higher leg kick, more aggressive on inside pitches. Those changes led to huge gains in production, and AAA really wasn't challenging him at all. Eppler believes you know who a player is after 1600 At Bats, and will be permanently ready or not at 800, which is a season and a half of playing time.

Ward would learn very little if anything at all in AAA, and since I'm not expecting the Angels to pass Oakland or Houston in 2019, I think they should stick him at 3B and let him grow. If he meets his potential, we've got a young Josh Donaldson, and his floor would be AAAA player.

The likely end result here is going to be someone that posts a .340 OBP and 20 HR's a year with average defense at 3B. I don't think he'll be that in 2019, but if we give him enough reps, I think he will be that guy in 2020, which would be huge for this offense.

Plus, he just fits what Eppler wants. Athletic, pop, great plate discipline, can run a little. Plus he gives you a great emergency catcher option.

So yeah, I like Ward at 3B, Cozart at 2B.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

Eppler feels very comfortable rolling with either Ward at 3B, Cozart at 2B, or Fletcher at 2B and Cozart at 3B, or Rengifo at 2B and either Cozart, Fletcher or Ward at 3B. He also believes that whatever time Pujols isn't at 1B, can be handled by Thaiss or Walsh. 

Eppler isn't sure what the exact answer is, but of the five, he's confident two or three of them will pan out and become starting quality major leaguers, and he's working with more information and deeper analysis than any of us. And from what I've come to understand, the plan was always for Cozart to play 2B in 2019 and 2020, and judging by what we saw from him defensively over there in 2018, Eppler judged right. 

I think it's becoming very likely we'll see Taylor Ward at 3B in 2019. They believe his struggles were timing related, and that the issue was worked through and corrected the last couple weeks of the season and that explanation passes the eye test.

So that's the Angels. But if you're asking me...

Ward looked night and day different between 2017 and 2018. Extremely comfortable is the box, stronger in build, higher leg kick, more aggressive on inside pitches. Those changes led to huge gains in production, and AAA really wasn't challenging him at all. Eppler believes you know who a player is after 1600 At Bats, and will be permanently ready or not at 800, which is a season and a half of playing time.

Ward would learn very little if anything at all in AAA, and since I'm not expecting the Angels to pass Oakland or Houston in 2019, I think they should stick him at 3B and let him grow. If he meets his potential, we've got a young Josh Donaldson, and his floor would be AAAA player.

The likely end result here is going to be someone that posts a .340 OBP and 20 HR's a year with average defense at 3B. I don't think he'll be that in 2019, but if we give him enough reps, I think he will be that guy in 2020, which would be huge for this offense.

Plus, he just fits what Eppler wants. Athletic, pop, great plate discipline, can run a little. Plus he gives you a great emergency catcher option.

So yeah, I like Ward at 3B, Cozart at 2B.

don't say what eppler feels, thinks, or isn't sure of. you don't know any of that.

in this case, just express your opinion and use eppler quotes to back it up.

8 hours ago, TroutField said:

My gut says the Angels shouldn't take the chance. The Angels have a lot of offensive problems and can't afford to pencil in Ward. If they got a Harper, then I would say yes. But keeping Calhoun, Fletcher and Ward, not to mention Pujols? It's just insanity in thinking the offense will somehow get better.

6 hours ago, ukyah said:

don't say what eppler feels, thinks, or isn't sure of. you don't know any of that.

in this case, just express your opinion and use eppler quotes to back it up.

Everything I said about how Eppler "feels" comes from quotes he's made. If you did a little research or paid attention this season, you'd know that.

3 hours ago, Glen said:

@Second Base why do you feel comfortable with Cozart? Not trying to be an asshole but genuinely curious. He didn't look good at the plate before he was injured last year.

Not so much comfortable as much as just knowing that's where he'll be. Cozart has been a good hitter all of once in his career, and he parlayed that into a payday. I think he'd make a great utility player, but he'll start.

As of right now, i think thats exactly the plan.
Where Cozart falls in the mix will depend entirely on spring training but i suspect we are going into 19 looking for Ward, Fletcher, and Thaiss to all have regular roles.
If our focus is truly SP, getting a couple of those eats up the bulk of that 30M, there wont be much left for anything significant elsewhere.  
The only way we claw back into the playoff picture short term is to go over budget for a couple years, if they are not willing or able to do that, then its moot.

based on Eppler's comments, it seems his order of priority is

1. Starting pitching

2. Starting pitching

3. Catcher

4. Versatile player who can play 1b probably 3b and maybe some OF

5. Value play on a pen arm

6. Dedicated 3b man.  

4 and 6 would displace Ward to AAA and I think there's a very good chance of #4 happening so I see him starting in the minors this year.  

It might tell us what they think about Ward and how quickly they think he's capable of adjusting by how they proceed.  

12 hours ago, TroutField said:

I do not think it is the worst situation we could be in and has certain advantages but I also do not think it is the best solution either.

Of course, as always, I will discuss my point-of-view further in the upcoming 2019 Angelswin.com Primer Series: Third Base article :D

My opinion is that Cozart plays 3rd, Fletcher 2nd based on comments by Eppler and performance on the field. I believe both are competent major league players and can hold down those two positions. Spring training will determine the infield rover and the lead would be a guy like Rengifo that offers a glove for up the middle and pinch runner speed. But that is based on my view of Rengifo as being very close to MLB ready and a bench position may be his best role, like Figgins had in his early years.

Until Eppler makes a move otherwise this is what I feel is the most probable outcome seeing that pitching and catching is currently the areas the Angles have a void.

As far as Ward goes, he is either the 1st/3rd base platoon or back to the minors for more polish. My guess is the later. 

Ward very well may end up being a decent major leaguer.  I am not pulling against him.

My issue with Ward is how he fits this exact Angel roster right now.

We know 1B sucks and that probably won't change.

We know how hard it is to get offense from catcher.

We know that RF is potentially a problem with the Jekyl and Hyde act last year and other evidence of fade.

We know that Cozart is a question mark and is under contract and is going to play, and may not be a plus offensively.

With all that, it just isn't the time to run Ward out there every day and cross your fingers that he he is passable.

It's nothing personal.  It just seems like a bad idea to just trust ANOTHER position to chance.

I want fewer question marks offensively on this team, and that by default means I don't want the Angels to roll into 2019 with Taylor Ward as their primary plan for 3B.

Now if some other significant move happens that changes one of the "given" question marks I listed before, then maybe having the unknown outcome of having Ward at 3B will be digestible.

But right now as things sit today?  No.  I don't want Ward at 3B.

15 minutes ago, IEAngelsfan said:

Am I the only one who prefers Cozart at 2nd and Fletcher at 3rd...................and INO well done fries?

I would prefer this as well.  I felt like Cozart was much better at 2b even in limited time whereas at 3b he looked like a fish out of water.  Fletcher looked good at both, but I actually thought he was a bit better at 3b.  He seems naturally quicker whereas Cozart is a good MIF defender because of technique. 

22 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Ward very well may end up being a decent major leaguer.  I am not pulling against him.

My issue with Ward is how he fits this exact Angel roster right now.

We know 1B sucks and that probably won't change.

We know how hard it is to get offense from catcher.

We know that RF is potentially a problem with the Jekyl and Hyde act last year and other evidence of fade.

We know that Cozart is a question mark and is under contract and is going to play, and may not be a plus offensively.

With all that, it just isn't the time to run Ward out there every day and cross your fingers that he he is passable.

It's nothing personal.  It just seems like a bad idea to just trust ANOTHER position to chance.

I want fewer question marks offensively on this team, and that by default means I don't want the Angels to roll into 2019 with Taylor Ward as their primary plan for 3B.

Now if some other significant move happens that changes one of the "given" question marks I listed before, then maybe having the unknown outcome of having Ward at 3B will be digestible.

But right now as things sit today?  No.  I don't want Ward at 3B.

I found the highlighted interesting based on many recent conversations about prospects and the kids.
As of right now, thats all we have going into 19, is question marks, and our only answers we seem to be considering, are Ward and his peers. 

1 minute ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Doesn't matter to me how they get him and what position he ultimately plays, but this team needs a leadoff hitter in front of Trout/Upton/Ohtani. If you can find a 3B who can do that, I'm all for it.

Cozart/Fletcher are not the answer for that role.

let's hope Rengifo is for real.  I think he is.  But we're going with Cozart and maybe fletcher full time or at least in a util role.  Neither will lead off though (I hope).  If I had to choose between Cozart or Fletch manning the 3b if Rengifo can somehow win 2b, I would prefer Fletcher.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

based on Eppler's comments, it seems his order of priority is

1. Starting pitching

2. Starting pitching

3. Catcher

4. Versatile player who can play 1b probably 3b and maybe some OF

5. Value play on a pen arm

6. Dedicated 3b man.  

4 and 6 would displace Ward to AAA and I think there's a very good chance of #4 happening so I see him starting in the minors this year.  

It might tell us what they think about Ward and how quickly they think he's capable of adjusting by how they proceed.  

Don't see 4 or 6 . I think Eppler said those would be filled internally.

6 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Don't see 4 or 6 . I think Eppler said those would be filled internally.

Agreed, between Cozart, Ward, Fletcher, and Rengifo, they already have plenty of options for 2B/3B/utility role.

They more need two starting pitchers, a mentor to anchor the pen (Robertson?), and someone to limit Pujols' 1B starts who can also play other positions (Walsh?).