• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2018 Hot Stove League

greginpsca

11:16pm: Segura “and possibly one other player” are going to the Phillies in exchange for a trade package including Santana and Crawford, the Seattle Times’ Ryan Divishreports.  It isn’t yet clear if Segura will waive his no-trade clause, though Divish figures Segura will want to leave the rebuilding Mariners.  Nez Balelo, Segura’s agent, tells Heyman that it isn’t a foregone conclusion that his client will waive the no-trade clause.  “If a deal makes sense to Jean then he will consider and there are a lot of variables to consider in order to waive his full no trade and move on,” Balelo said.

per mlbtraderumors 

my guess is that along with Crawford, it'll be Ranger Suarez because of JD's affection for guys he can put right into the majors.  I'm gonna guess that if Seattle is taking on Santana, then Leake is going in the other direction.  None of the top 5 philly prospects are above A+ ball otherwise.  He's got to get be getting someone like Efflin or Kingery as well though.  Or maybe a Nick Pivetta.  

25 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Dipoto is the most entertaining GM ever.

He's either an idiot or a genius. The results suggest the former.

he's neither an idiot, nor a genius. he's just not good at his job. last year he sells off the farm to make it to the playoffs, then the very next year he sells off the major league club to replenish the farm system. a man that works in that manner can not be trusted with a rebuild, he lacks the basic character necessary to develop and adhere to a long term plan.

21 minutes ago, ukyah said:

he's neither an idiot, nor a genius. he's just not good at his job. last year he sells off the farm to make it to the playoffs, then the very next year he sells off the major league club to replenish the farm system. a man that works in that manner can not be trusted with a rebuild, he lacks the basic character necessary to develop and adhere to a long term plan.

This. People have this weird obsession with trying to portray people they have never met into geniuses or morons with absolutely nothing in between.

The guy just sucks at this very specific aspect of life 

You have no idea what his capacity is in other things. There are smart people out there who couldn't hack it as an engineer and wound up becoming brain surgeons or rocket scientists, etc.

1 hour ago, GrittyVeterans said:

This. People have this weird obsession with trying to portray people they have never met into geniuses or morons with absolutely nothing in between.

You have no idea what his capacity is in other things. There are smart people out there who couldn't hack it as an engineer and wound up becoming brain surgeons or rocket scientists, etc.

I disagree. With not good at his job. He went all in to try and make the playoffs. It didn't happen, not for lack of trying. He realizes the team has a high payroll and is getting older. What better way to rebuild then selling off assets. We won't know if the trades work out for a couple seasons but he is doing what he set out to do. Whether it's good or not will be determined at a later date. 

Why in the world would DiPoto take on Santana’s money?  You’re giving up an elite affordable young player in Segura for a (former/maybe?) top prospect (Crawford)....Crawford has dropped in the eyes of some so that Segura for Crawford would be enough of a ? on its own......but you’re also taking on dead money (Santana) too?  I don’t think he has a plan....he’s an idiot.....

If you want to know if he’s doing a good job look at the money he’s taking on.  

Trade number one. He traded Cano, which was a hard thing to do.   But he had to pay $20 million and take on $34 million of bad contracts to save the team $100 million.  So he saved the team $60 plus million.  Oh and you had to include your most valuable asset you had to trade in Diaz.  Would anyone here be ok with Eppler trading Albert if he had to include Adell?  

Trade number two, he traded his third most valuable asset in Segura, who is owed about $60 million over 4 years, who’s also accumulated 13 WAR over the last three years.   But in order to get the prospect you want you also have to take on $40 million of Carlos Santana.  There had to be a team that would have given them good prospects without having to take on money.  

7 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Seems like just yesterday mariner fans were excited. Happy to extend dipoto.

I'm fine with everything. Get rid of the old dinosaurs and their contracts with basically nothing on the book for 2020. Yeah we'll suck next season and likely the next .... but is it really any different than I've been subjected to the past 20 years? No.

At least I can go into the season knowing not to care instead of being hyped until July.

10 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

I'm thinking that Scotty meant it only from a GM standpoint.    Dumbpoto thinking that he is the smartest man in the room, and then proceeding to disrupt TWO franchises, just leaves one SMFH.   

most of the times when teams rebuild, they don't trade away their establish major league talent for other major league or near major league talent.  They go with prospects that they then develop while sucking at the major league level for a few years.  

JD is going with a different model here as I think his 'rebuild' will take 1-2 years in his mind.  

It'll be really interesting to see what becomes of the Mariners in the next season or two.  Sure, they lost Cano, Paxton, Zunino, Diaz and Segura, but they've also gained Jay Bruce, Carlos Santana, Mallex Smith, Justus Sheffield and a plethora of prospects, as well as shedding some considerable payroll.  

Chances are, they won't be totally awful next year because there is still a lot of talent on the roster, but I'm not sure I see the minor league talent that will make them competitive again in 2020 and 2021.  To me, this just looks like the Mariners got a little worse and a little less expensive, that's about it.  But we'll see. 

If this works, we might see teams start emulating what Dipoto is doing here.  It's a gamble and at the very least I respect Dipoto for trying something different.

I'm hoping to see Eppler start becoming more aggressive in free agent and trades soon, because by my count, we've already seen a lot of potential options for the Angels go in different directions while Eppler has remained still. I don't want to see all the options dry up.  I remember when that happened to Reagins, and that resulted in Vernon Wells. 

11 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

There is no way you actually think people who have commented that Dipoto is a moron mean so in regards to other aspects of life away from his GM duties, do you? 

Some non-tenders that I have some varying interest in:

1. SP - Graveman - A's

2. RP - Strickland - Giants

3. Util - Solarte - Blue Jays

4. 1B/DH - Bour - Phillies

5. SP - Miller - Dbacks

6. 1B/DH - Patterson - Reds

I would have had some interest in Billy Hamilton due to his speed and defense. But, his OBP% is dog shit and he strikes out way too much.

38 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I think they already got a Solarte, maybe better, in LaStella.    Graveman could be intriguing.   Was Bour's big drop the new norm for him, or a fluke?

Solarte has way more pop than LaStella he's more of a Slappy Utility Guy..... See what I did there?.... ?  I would sign Solarte for 3B move Cozart to 2B (like he was originally supposed to play last year before the Kinsler trade) and have La Stella as our UTIL/Slappy Lefthanded bat to go with the righty in Fletcher. It expands our bench strength with players who can play multiple positions.

I believe that Bours stats were the abbreviation of having no one in the Marlins lineup to protect him or each other in 2018..... 2017 he had the following- Osuna, Yelich, Stanton, Realmuto to (2018 Deitrich and Realmuto). Which once again are good complementary pieces just not names that drive fear through a pitching staff. Also, to me Bour is one of those complimentary guys similar to Calhoun. Which you can add a few of those type guys and win sprinkled with some All Stars and a Generational Talent like Trout which is our current roster base.  The problem we had was the Cozart injury last year and the pitching injuries. 

Phillies got him to block another team! As they already had Santana at 1st base. Phillies have some talent! But, they are going to be trading away their best OBP% guy in Santana! Those kids swing and they miss a ton!!!! Phillies are going to be hamstrung by the "Chicks dig the Long Ball mentality". Having a bunch of 220-250 avg guys with 25+ HR's and 90's RBI and they will get dominated by Good pitching in a short playoff series.

Jesse SanchezVerified account @JesseSanchezMLB 14m14 minutes ago
Source: The Dbacks, Angels, Yankees, Braves and Reds are among the teams that have shown interest in veteran reliever Joakim Soria. More talks are expected at next week’s Winter Meetings. Soria has been working out near his home in Scottsdale. Check @MLB for updates.