• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

"The Root of the Angels' Problems..."

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

so we're back to working with buscones?  

I'd say it's less about the Angels willingness or not to work with them than it is the buscones no longer having any choice but to deal with the Angels -- they aren't going to say no to bonus money for their players..  Once MLB capped the bonus money per team, buscones lost a lot of their leverage when cutting legitimate deals with MLB teams.  Prior to the changes it had been in their best interest for those bonuses to get as high as possible...  Once that changed we saw a spike in the sort of side deals that got both the Red Sox and Braves get busted.  The Pirates also had their head of Latin America get booted for working some deal where HE was the one getting paid by a Mexican League team.  Not sure what the specifics were but I think the idea was that the players would then have to pay the Mexican league teams a portion of their salaries forever...   MLB recently banned ALL MLB teams from signing players affiliated with Mexican League teams.

Edited by Inside Pitch

On 8/3/2018 at 1:30 PM, zenmaster said:

Taking on all these previously injured/injury prone/once high ceiling guys is also not working out, and aren't some of them on Eppler's watch? There's no wonder why we have so many pitcher injuries when we got them all as damaged goods for a cheap price hoping they'd stay healthy.

I don’t know if anyone addressed this in the next four pages, but this is all still related to trying to climb out of the farm system hole. 

If you aren’t producing your own players, you take what you get from other teams. And they are often old, broken or both. 

JC Ramírez, Blake Wood, Parker Bridwell... all acquired for nothing because the Angels were desperate to fill holes. 

Guess what: all broken. 

You cant produce your own everyday players and you can’t pay for prime free agents (because you spent it all on Pujols, Hamilton, which also cost you draft picks), so who is left?

Espinosa, Valbuena, Cozart, Kinsler, David Murphy, Yunel Escobar, Matt Joyce.

All have something wrong with them because the players who don’t a) require good prospects to acquire or b) cost a lot of money. 

Oh, and the reason you all hate Scioscia is because he never plays his young players, but it’s maybe because those young players are no good and he knows it. 

It all goes back to a bad farm system. 

3 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Oh, and the reason you all hate Scioscia is because he never plays his young players, but it’s maybe because those young players are no good and he knows it.

Thanks @Jeff Fletcher, Those folks that think guys like Cowart or Blash (current examples) will go from a pumpkin to carriage with regular playing time need to put the bong down.

On 8/3/2018 at 6:53 PM, Scotty@AW said:

Maybe it was just a personality thing.

Ding ding!

I've heard there are things Scioscia didn't want to do when Dipoto wanted him to do, but he's ok doing them when Eppler wants him to.

It was never "Scioscia doesn't like advanced metrics" or any of that nonsense. It was just that Scioscia and Dipoto didn't work well together.

I should also add that a lot of the deterioration of the farm system just comes with being good for a while.

Erstad and Glaus were both top 3 picks from the Angels lousy years in the 1990s. Once they got good in 2001ish, they had a long run of picking at the end of the first round, so your system is going to get worse unless you get really lucky (like with the 25th pick in 2009) and make a lot of very smart picks.

I saw it with the Giants when I covered them. They were always good and tried to stay competitive with Bonds, and they let their farm system rot. Then it all crashed down on them from 2005-09 and they were a pretty bad baseball team.

The result of that were 3 straight years of top 10 picks, who became Posey, Lincecum, Bumgarner.

^ that

Its kind of lost in the other reasons, but one of the biggest problems with the farm is that we were so successful for so long. We never had bad years.

As bad as this year feels, and the previous few, this team will still finish at or near .500. Weve never been one of the bad teams in baseball since the 90s. We just havent been one of the good ones for awhile.

12 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

^ that

Its kind of lost in the other reasons, but one of the biggest problems with the farm is that we were so successful for so long. We never had bad years.

As bad as this year feels, and the previous few, this team will still finish at or near .500. Weve never been one of the bad teams in baseball since the 90s. We just havent been one of the good ones for awhile.

But but but Scioscia...

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I should also add that a lot of the deterioration of the farm system just comes with being good for a while.

Erstad and Glaus were both top 3 picks from the Angels lousy years in the 1990s. Once they got good in 2001ish, they had a long run of picking at the end of the first round, so your system is going to get worse unless you get really lucky (like with the 25th pick in 2009) and make a lot of very smart picks.

I saw it with the Giants when I covered them. They were always good and tried to stay competitive with Bonds, and they let their farm system rot. Then it all crashed down on them from 2005-09 and they were a pretty bad baseball team.

The result of that were 3 straight years of top 10 picks, who became Posey, Lincecum, Bumgarner.

@Jeff Fletcher  Jeff: It wasn’t just the draft....Any thoughts on why they also ignored international signings? Still inexplicable to me....