• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taylor Ward is hitting .390 in Salt Lake

Scott34

On 7/13/2018 at 4:02 PM, gurn67 said:

I think the only team that should have their AAA team in Salt Lake City is Colorado. Having your prospects play their home games at over 4000 feet above where they'll be playing their home games at the major league level doesn't seem to be a good way to judge how they will fare at the next level.

Ward's Splits:
 Home Games .400/.449/.617/1.066 - 2 HR - 14 RBI
Away Games  .375/.477/.611/1.088 - 4 HR - 11 RBI

On 7/13/2018 at 8:42 PM, Tank said:

i agree. 

start playing for next year. do what you can this year (who knows what might happen), but i'd really like to see the kids come up now so that they can get their growing pains out of the way now and hit the ground running next year.

We have gained 3 games on Seattle lately and are 9 games back of them. We play them 7 more times, 3 more before the trade deadline. Our schedule looks more favorable in August.

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

11 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I dont know enough about him (other than he came out of nowhere this year), but i think best case scenario for him and guys like him is calhoun. Good years, bad years and in between. 

His OBP has been very good through his minor league career. He isn't afraid to take a walk. He just has to be better than what we have now, and he is playing at league minimum. Starting his clock it a stupid argument. Even if his clock started tomorrow he'll be 31 when he reaches FA.

7 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Ward's Splits:
 Home Games .400/.449/.617/1.066 - 2 HR - 14 RBI
Away Games  .375/.477/.611/1.088 - 4 HR - 11 RBI

A lot of the PCLP plays at a high elevation in dry climates. It's really not a good league for judging hitters. The Angels division consists of El Paso, Salt Lake, Las Vegas and Albuquerque. Elevations are - 3,700 feet, 2,000 feet, 4,000 feet, and 5,000 feet. Chase field has added a humidor and has the second highest elevation of any MLB team. It's stadium is 1,000 feet above sea level. 

40 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

A lot of the PCLP plays at a high elevation in dry climates. It's really not a good league for judging hitters. The Angels division consists of El Paso, Salt Lake, Las Vegas and Albuquerque. Elevations are - 3,700 feet, 2,000 feet, 4,000 feet, and 5,000 feet. Chase field has added a humidor and has the second highest elevation of any MLB team. It's stadium is 1,000 feet above sea level. 

What else could they try in those high dry climates ? Maybe experiment with bringing the mound closer so 95mph feels more like 97 mph.

49 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

I keep hearing calls about expanding baseball into Mexico City. The elevation there is 7,200 ft. They say it takes a person 2 days to become acclimated to the thin air.

52 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

Yep, you forgot Colorado Springs and Reno too. Both notorious for hitter friendly parks, lite air.

20 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Yep, you forgot Colorado Springs and Reno too. Both notorious for hitter friendly parks, lite air.

But he hit .345 at Mobile this year in about the same number of AB's as in Salt Lake.

Is Mobile also known as a hitters park so the stats are increased?

He only hit .286 last year at Mobile - know he was catching then - has he just gotten that much better or are the places he's playing in inflating his numbers that greatly.

22 hours ago, eaterfan said:

Chase field has added a humidor and has the second highest elevation of any MLB team. It's stadium is 1,000 feet above sea level. 

That's fascinating. Who would have thought that the second-highest elevated MLB stadium (after Coors Field) is in Phoenix?

1 hour ago, ksangel said:

But he hit .345 at Mobile this year in about the same number of AB's as in Salt Lake.

Is Mobile also known as a hitters park so the stats are increased?

He only hit .286 last year at Mobile - know he was catching then - has he just gotten that much better or are the places he's playing in inflating his numbers that greatly.

Oh my comment was no knock on Ward, I was just adding to the fact that there are way more hitter friendly parks in the PCL than pitching friendly parks. 

That said, I believe Mobile is more of a neutral park and the entire Southern League in general leans more to being neutral, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

What if Taylor Ward can literally be what we thought Howie would be, with slightly more home run power? A perennial .330/.390/.500 kinda guy? That would be massive. 

That’s the problem with minor league dudes. Does he end up being the Howie we wanted with power or does he end up being Nevin or god forbid Brandon Wood?

We won’t know till he gets to the show.

23 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

What if Taylor Ward can literally be what we thought Howie would be, with slightly more home run power? A perennial .330/.390/.500 kinda guy? That would be massive. 

I don't think it's a good comparison as Kendrick was never known for taking walks. 

That said, Ward's contact rate this season is Kendrick-esque, as his speed and power numbers.

I think a better comp is Rolen. If we could get a young Scott Rolen type (though the healthier version) out of Ward, I'll take it. Good OBP, some power and good contact, mixed in with about 15 or so SB. 

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

if we get his defense too that would be a huge bonus! 

Ward's a good athlete, so I think it's possible he turns into a good defender over there. We've seen a guy like Donaldson make the switch from catcher into elite defensive 3B.

I think at this point he should be taking some reps at 1B in practice too. If he can field both positions we can easily get rid of the dreadful Marte/Valbuena platoon we have going on

3 minutes ago, GrittyVeterans said:

Ward's a good athlete, so I think it's possible he turns into a good defender over there. We've seen a guy like Donaldson make the switch from catcher into elite defensive 3B.

I think at this point he should be taking some reps at 1B in practice too. If he can field both positions we can easily get rid of the dreadful Marte/Valbuena platoon we have going on

I agree. 

I'd also like the Angels to look at maybe dealing Cozart this offseason. His contract only has two more years and his defense alone at SS to a team that has a need there should warrant some interest.

I'm sorry, but I'd like this team to look at going young at 2B in either Fletcher or Rengifo (to lead off), Ward at 3B and perhaps Thaiss at 1B, with Ohtani getting most DH at bats. Hope that Pujols takes a farewell tour in 2019 so that the team can save money to sign Trout long term and help bring in much needed SP, help in other areas such as C, RF and closer. 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Oh my comment was no knock on Ward, I was just adding to the fact that there are way more hitter friendly parks in the PCL than pitching friendly parks. 

That said, I believe Mobile is more of a neutral park and the entire Southern League in general leans more to being neutral, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong. 

I know you weren't knocking Ward but I figured if I copied your quote there would be a response and responses from others...?

I don't follow the minors that closely though I know the PCL inflates stats...was just wondering if the Southern League did too though Thaiss' stats have remained consistent between the two while Wards have jumped off the charts.

If Ward hits .250 the remainder of the year at Salt Lake (no call up) he'll end up around .310 at Salt Lake.