• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Taylor Ward is hitting .390 in Salt Lake

Scott34

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I agree. 

I'd also like the Angels to look at maybe dealing Cozart this offseason. His contract only has two more years and his defense alone at SS to a team that has a need there should warrant some interest.

I'm sorry, but I'd like this team to look at going young at 2B in either Fletcher or Rengifo (to lead off), Ward at 3B and perhaps Thaiss at 1B, with Ohtani getting most DH at bats. Hope that Pujols takes a farewell tour in 2019 so that the team can save money to sign Trout long term and help bring in much needed SP, help in other areas such as C, RF and closer. 

Well, I'm not sold at all that Cozart's contract is even moveable without retaining money on it at this point. The guy is about to be 33 years old, is coming off a serious injury, and did not perform well. He's also making quite a bit of money

Probably better off seeing if he can turn it around next year than having to eat money

Just now, GrittyVeterans said:

Well, I'm not sold at all that Cozart's contract is even moveable without retaining money on it at this point. The guy is about to be 33 years old, is coming off a serious injury, and did not perform well. He's also making quite a bit of money

I hope the team looks at Cozart as being a utility middle infielder, one that has to beat out Rengifo and Fletcher in ST (2019) for the starting 2B job, I'd be ecstatic. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I agree. 

I'd also like the Angels to look at maybe dealing Cozart this offseason. His contract only has two more years and his defense alone at SS to a team that has a need there should warrant some interest.

I'm sorry, but I'd like this team to look at going young at 2B in either Fletcher or Rengifo (to lead off), Ward at 3B and perhaps Thaiss at 1B, with Ohtani getting most DH at bats. Hope that Pujols takes a farewell tour in 2019 so that the team can save money to sign Trout long term and help bring in much needed SP, help in other areas such as C, RF and closer. 

Got this feeling the Angels will keep Cozart and rotate Cozart, Fletcher and Ward between 2B and 3B (with Ward at 3B only).

Cozart adds insurance at SS just in case Simmons gets hurt for an extended period of time and even though they pay him $13M they'll be paying Ward and Fletcher the league minimum.

I'm actually hoping Albert hangs it up at the end of this year...what other historical stat's does he need for the HOF?  Maybe this knee injury is worse than we know too.

5 minutes ago, ksangel said:

Got this feeling the Angels will keep Cozart and rotate Cozart, Fletcher and Ward between 2B and 3B (with Ward at 3B only).

Cozart adds insurance at SS just in case Simmons gets hurt for an extended period of time and even though they pay him $13M they'll be paying Ward and Fletcher the league minimum.

True, but Rengifo and Fletcher can also play SS. 

41 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I don't think it's a good comparison as Kendrick was never known for taking walks. 

That said, Ward's contact rate this season is Kendrick-esque, as his speed and power numbers.

I think a better comp is Rolen. If we could get a young Scott Rolen type (though the healthier version) out of Ward, I'll take it. Good OBP, some power and good contact, mixed in with about 15 or so SB. 

By the time he was Ward's age now, Rolen had 3 full seasons under his belt, and had won Rookie of the Year and a Gold Glove.

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

By the time he was Ward's age now, Rolen had 3 full seasons under his belt, and had won Rookie of the Year and a Gold Glove.

I'm not saying Ward will ever become Rolen or has the same career path, just that he's a guy with some pop, speed, athletic and has good plate discipline, like Rolen. 

The only question mark for all of us is his defense or if his success in AA/AAA translates to the big leagues. 

40 minutes ago, ksangel said:

I'm actually hoping Albert hangs it up at the end of this year...what other historical stat's does he need for the HOF?  Maybe this knee injury is worse than we know too.

Maybe just two realistic ones: 1) being top 5 on the HRs list (currently 30 behind #5, Mays), and 2) reaching 2000 rbis (about 30 away)  

25 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Honestly, as a fan of the Angels, I really don't give a rats ass about Pujols personal milestones when it is not helping the team win. He can drag ass to the next guy on the list but it has a cost. It's time for him to end his career.

the whole 'it's not our biggest problem' argument is wearing thin.  but he's probably being told that he's contributing.  

As long as Pujols is contributing in at least one way, he'll be here. He's fielding well and hitting well with runners on as a situational bat in the lineup. He'll be here through 2019 barring something in his life that makes him choose not to be, such as another significant injury or an abrupt desire to step aside.

Cozart will have first dibs at 2B/3B fulltime next year, but a midseason transition to a UT role wouldn't surprise me if Fletcher and Ward play well. 

Very curious to see what Eppler's plans are. He's never ceded playing time to a rookie at the onset of a season - we've never really had anyone to cause that - but he could very well let Kinsler, Marte, and Valbuena walk and replace with Ward, Thaiss, and Fletcher next year and the team would be in just as good shape. Or will he sign more vets?

18 hours ago, Blarg said:

Honestly, as a fan of the Angels, I really don't give a rats ass about Pujols personal milestones when it is not helping the team win. He can drag ass to the next guy on the list but it has a cost. It's time for him to end his career.

I tend to agree...Pujols best years were with the Cardinals, not the Angels. These milestones don't really mean shit to me as an Angel fan. His contract was really based on winning the World Series title or two in the first couple of years and then he'd have built some cred with the Halo fans. Didn't work out that way...so now he's just another aging has been picking up milestones ala Reggie Jackson.

10 hours ago, totdprods said:

As long as Pujols is contributing in at least one way, he'll be here. He's fielding well and hitting well with runners on as a situational bat in the lineup. He'll be here through 2019 barring something in his life that makes him choose not to be, such as another significant injury or an abrupt desire to step aside.

Cozart will have first dibs at 2B/3B fulltime next year, but a midseason transition to a UT role wouldn't surprise me if Fletcher and Ward play well. 

Very curious to see what Eppler's plans are. He's never ceded playing time to a rookie at the onset of a season - we've never really had anyone to cause that - but he could very well let Kinsler, Marte, and Valbuena walk and replace with Ward, Thaiss, and Fletcher next year and the team would be in just as good shape. Or will he sign more vets?

Ohtani was given starting gig as rookie...but yeah he's an exception and exceptional so probably takes a rookie of that talent to start for the Angels.

4 hours ago, ksangel said:

Ohtani was given starting gig as rookie...but yeah he's an exception and exceptional so probably takes a rookie of that talent to start for the Angels.

He is absolutely an exception.

We also haven’t really had any prospects to push for playing time, but Eppler has had no problem bumping seemingly solid prospects like Bandy and Perez for vets, trying a number of infield filler before giving Cowart a shot, adding Valbuena when he could have stuck with Cron and Marte, and going ahead and adding not only Chris Young, but Eric Young, Jabari Blash, and Ben Revere all into the fold around Hermosillo as 4th OF.

I’d like to see the Angels trot out youth this August and September to assess where they’re at so, if they are ready, we don’t have to watch Eppler sign stopgap vets and wait for 2-3 months of struggles from that type again next year.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

I’m tired of stop gap acquisitions that suck.

Eppler had no choice with no farm system to supplement the major league team and being right up against the luxury tax. He had to ride this shit out until Rengifo, Adell, Canning, Ward, Thaiss etc. are able to make an impact at the major league level. That’s when you will see them supplement with Star FA’s again. 

8 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

I’m tired of stop gap acquisitions that suck.

Since we actually have some youth worth opening the year with next year, I'm leaning towards going that route.

If Eppler's offseason consists of more stopgaps it hints a little bit that he sees a farm as trade currency and depth more than a source of new talent, in which case I would be stunned if he didn't deal some guys who were having peak seasons like Ward, Rengifo, or Suarez, especially since all three are Rule V eligible this offseason.