• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Simmons the best overall SS in baseball?

Simmons  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Is Simmons the best overall SS in baseball?

Man, this is a tough question, but I gotta say no, he is not.  Keep in mind we are truly in the golden era of shortstops.  There are a ton of incredible ones right now.  Correa, Seager, Lindor have widely been considered the top 3 entering this year.  Didi Gregorious' incredible start has vaulted him into the #1 spot in terms of WAR for SSs.  Manny Machado is now playing SS as opposed to 3B, so he certainly now enters that conversation as well.

It's ridiculous how many talented SSs are in the league currently.  Simmons is one of the very best, and certainly the best defensive player in baseball, but it's a bit hard to say he's the #1 overall shortstop in baseball IMO.

21 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Man, this is a tough question, but I gotta say no, he is not.  Keep in mind we are truly in the golden era of shortstops.  There are a ton of incredible ones right now.  Correa, Seager, Lindor have widely been considered the top 3 entering this year.  Didi Gregorious' incredible start has vaulted him into the #1 spot in terms of WAR for SSs.  Manny Machado is now playing SS as opposed to 3B, so he certainly now enters that conversation as well.

It's ridiculous how many talented SSs are in the league currently.  Simmons is one of the very best, and certainly the best defensive player in baseball, but it's a bit hard to say he's the #1 overall shortstop in baseball IMO.

Exactly right.

4 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

SS is a defense first position. He’s the best in the field and now strong at the plate and on the bases. He pushes any other player on earth to another position. What more do you want?

Defensive first doesn't mean defensive only. He's extremely great, but other guys are as good or better. Should he keep up his current offensive levels for the rest of the season then it's reasonable to think he may be the best. But this is by far his best season ever. I think he's top 3, but probably not the best.

42 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Bogaerts seems to be back to his 2016 form as well. But yeah, golden age of shortstops.

Among the best in a deep group is better than best of a weak group, in this case. Can Simmons be the the 2nd-4th best player on a championship team? I think so. Is he the best current SS in baseball, all aspects considered? I hate to say it, but no. 

Definitely with improved offense, I say Simmons is the best.  Obviously he doesn't have the power of a Correa, but in reality, that's about all that he doesn't have that Correa has.  Then you include Simmons' excellent baseball awareness/IQ, then you have to give the top spot to Simmons.  He does so many things at an above average level.  Simmons is one of those that can do anything to get the job done (slide to avoid an out, bunt, homer, steal a bag, hit the other way, keep a tag on through the slide, etc, etc).  He do so many things right.   And he brings his A game 162 games a year. 

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

What's interesting is that most of everyone in this thread has said no, but if you look at the polling results, it's basically 75% yes, 25% no.  I guess us contrarians are being more vocal :P

I voted no. I’m guessing that those voting yes can’t explain why other than “cause he’s an Angel.”

1 minute ago, Dick B Back said:

I’m guessing you think Simmons will hit .350 all year, then yes your post makes sense.

So is a .350 AVG the main qualifier to be the top SS?  I mean I listed quite a few things that he does so much better than other SS.  I think it's highly unlikely he continues hitting at a .350 clip, but even a .280 avg at season's end with all that he does, makes him the best. 

20 minutes ago, jordan said:

So is a .350 AVG the main qualifier to be the top SS?  I mean I listed quite a few things that he does so much better than other SS.  I think it's highly unlikely he continues hitting at a .350 clip, but even a .280 avg at season's end with all that he does, makes him the best. 

That just isn't enough to be the best. Other short stops do those things as well. Power is an important aspect of the game as well. 

Arguing Simmons is the best even though other shortstops only hit for more power is pile Red Sox fans arguing Betts is better than Trout because he is slugging at a higher rate, does the other things well but doesn't get on base as much as Trout. 

But is there anyone on this site who wouldn't trade Simmons for Lindor, Machado or Correa for the rest of the season if it were possible?

4 minutes ago, eaterfan said:

That just isn't enough to be the best. Other short stops do those things as well. Power is an important aspect of the game as well. 

Arguing Simmons is the best even though other shortstops only hit for more power is pile Red Sox fans arguing Betts is better than Trout because he is slugging at a higher rate, does the other things well but doesn't get on base as much as Trout. 

But is there anyone on this site who wouldn't trade Simmons for Lindor, Machado or Correa for the rest of the season if it were possible?

Due to his age, yes I would trade Simmons for Correa or Lindor.   As for skill set as of today and age aside, I'd keep Simmons.  And perhaps that's just being a Homer about it, and that's ok with me.   I like how Simmons plays the game.  He plays the game hard, he plays it right, and I'm glad he as Angel. 

2 minutes ago, jordan said:

Due to his age, yes I would trade Simmons for Correa or Lindor.   As for skill set as of today and age aside, I'd keep Simmons.  And perhaps that's just being a Homer about it, and that's ok with me.   I like how Simmons plays the game.  He plays the game hard, he plays it right, and I'm glad he as Angel. 

I think all of us who voted no love Simmons and are very stoked he's here.  He's the second best position player we have.  If Simmons can OPS 900+ for the whole year and be the best defensive player in baseball, then I will change my vote to a yes.  He's at that mark right now.  However, his previous career high is 752 (set last year), so if I am using that mark, then I'd say no, he is not.

6 minutes ago, jordan said:

Correa has a 400 game track record (Since he came into the league) of hitting at a 138 OPS+ clip. Simba was at 102 last year and is at 155 this year. He's showing signs of being a better hitter but has to do it for more than 30 games to be in this discussion