• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ichiro Retires

11 hours ago, Taylor said:

I'm pretty sure his first two career HRs were in the same game at Seattle, in September 2011.

Weren't his first home runs in Baltimore in front oh his family and friends? 

17 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Ichiro and Shinjo both came over in ‘01. Shinjo couldn’t hit major league pitching but he sure looked stylish flying out to shallow left field 

Yep, Shinjo started his career one day after Ichiro, the pioneer. 

Ichiro might be the most recognizable person in Japan. He's probably more famous than the prime minister, and may be respected and revered more than any person in Japan. But despite his sky-high status, he couldn't escape the dilemma of being known to be incapable of impacting the outcomes of games, in his own country.

Because Japanese people became so used to seeing the news headline "Ichiro has x hits, but the Mariners lose(win)", the abbreviated version of "but the Mariners" in Japanese became slang that could be used in instances where doing something good(or bad) affects the outcome in the opposite way. 

He was not just a singles hitter, he was an infield hit hitter. Combined with OFs playing in on him, he was unable to drive in runners in from 2nd, and the highest paid player not driving in runs wasn't a good situation.  It hurt especially because his team was usually able to pitch well.

I'm not blaming Ichiro at all, I'm a huge fan of his. When he had the Edgar Martinezes and Bret Boones hitting after him, he was very effective as a lead-off man. it's just that the Mariners in Ichiro's prime were poorly constructed.

10 hours ago, moccasin said:

Because Japanese people became so used to seeing the news headline "Ichiro has x hits, but the Mariners lose(win)", the abbreviated version of "but the Mariners" in Japanese became slang that could be used in instances where doing something good(or bad) affects the outcome in the opposite way. 

this is among the best things I've ever read on AW 

I'm sure @red321 would agree 

7 hours ago, red321 said:

someone needs to find out what that actual phrase is in Japanese...if it somehow sounds like the words DiPoto sucks life would be complete

The word is naoma.(なおマ, na-o-ma)There's no perfect translation of the word, it might be closer to "meanwhile, the Mariners" or "by the way, the Mariners".

Paxton's 16K game the other day was a perfect example, I'm sure the MLB fan message board in Japan flooded with the word that day.

6 hours ago, GOPSnowflakesHateCezero said:

i hate the team

haven't watched or listened to a game since last july

i'm watching the astros and twins this year

The M's have sucked for decades. What changed in July of 2017?

41 minutes ago, Taylor said:

The M's have sucked for decades. What changed in July of 2017?

i can answer for him, he finally lost the last of his faith in management/ownership. the real problems weren't on the field.