• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ichiro Retires

On May 10, 2018 at 4:32 AM, moccasin said:

Because Japanese people became so used to seeing the news headline "Ichiro has x hits, but the Mariners lose(win)", the abbreviated version of "but the Mariners" in Japanese became slang that could be used in instances where doing something good(or bad) affects the outcome in the opposite way. 

this was an instant classic 

• 4 years later...
On 5/5/2018 at 11:52 AM, disarcina said:

first Japanese player to make the leap to MLB-- Ichiro? Don't think so.

SF Giants had Murakami -- a pitcher back in the mid 60's

When he was in his final years as an active player in NPB, I remember watching a game broadcast and the announcer calling him "dai-leaguer Murakami", means "Major Leaguer Murakami" in Japanese. I was a fan of his team when I was a kid.

(Below) KYODO NEWS on Nov 23, 2023

(Link) EAST MEETS WEST - National Baseball Hall of Fame

(MLB.com on Nov. 22, 2023)
The ageless Ichiro hits 86 mph in 116-pitch shutout vs. All-Star women's team

Ichiro asked the high school girl pitcher who struck out him, "I had a bad feeling. When I played in MLB, I didn't strike out that much. It was harder to hit your ball than Roger Clemens. Do you know him?"