• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Scioscia pulling Tropeano last night

Glen

3 minutes ago, SuperTroopers said:

I’m not sold on either guy.   I read somewhere this morning that Bedrosian has an ERA of 1.72 in the 6-7th innings for his career.  Johnson is two outings away from having a poor outing as well.   I just don’t know if either have the stuff to be decent closers.  

Then keep Bedrosian in that role, and trade for a solid experienced late innings guy to join Middleton, Johnson, and Anderson. 

2 minutes ago, laagamer said:

Okay boys, forget this noise. Scioscia is to blame and has to pay! I say we all group up, ambush him when he arrives at the stadium, and shove lasagna down his pants! That'll  teach him!

Who's with me?

/s

Somewhere around the 85 pitch mark at Trops next start someone should put a thing of mozzarella sticks on the dugout so he's too distracted to make that call to the bp.

10 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

As opposed to the guys who are blowing it 100% of the time? I'll take my chances. Closing out a game is more about mental makeup than actual stuff. As an experienced veteran closer he's not likely to fold under the pressure the way these guys are. Bedrosian and Parker look like they are throwing scared in the 9th. While they may actually have better stuff than JJ, their not mentally capable of closing the game out.

All the best closers in the game have the best stuff. That's why they're hard to hit, in my opinion. 

And I'm just not seeing these pitchers we send out sobbing and the mound while craddled on the fetal position. But I've been switching channels back and forth for a bit of the losing streak, so maybe I missed it. 

13 minutes ago, laagamer said:

All the best closers in the game have the best stuff. That's why they're hard to hit, in my opinion. 

And I'm just not seeing these pitchers we send out sobbing and the mound while craddled on the fetal position. But I've been switching channels back and forth for a bit of the losing streak, so maybe I missed it. 

You don't see it in their body language (they are pros, they have enough intestinal fortitude to do that) you can see it in the way they pitch. Selection and location. The most successful closers aren't worried about the batter. They have the confidence to attack the zone with their best pitches and challenge the hitter to beat them.

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

Easy to say now but let’s not forget Cam had been pitching very well lately until last night. 

Parker has been pitching well expect for the 9th. That doesn't mean we should put him in the 9th. I think Bedrosian is destined for middle relief despite having the physical tools to pitch in the 9th. Theres nothing wrong with that, having a reliable 6th and 7th inning bridge to get to the setup man/closer is the hallmark of a successful team. He can be this teams David Robertson when they had Rivera.

1 hour ago, SuperTroopers said:

So I checked out Tropeano’s game logs this morning.  He has four starts and each start he has pitched between 88 and 91 pitches.  Each start he has been replaced mid-inning.  I would venture to say he is on a strict pitch count, and I would also assume that is due to being fresh off of TJ surgery. 

That and I think the Angels probably need to actively protect their starters from injury right now. It's a long season and we're already down Ramirez and Shoemaker, which in conjunction with not having Alex Meyer and Nate Smith hurts our depth. We've had a scare with Heaney too.

What starters they actually have need to stay healthy, and if that means only throwing 85 pitches or 6 innings then fine. 

I think the consensus at the beginning of the season was if our starters stay healthy, we'll win. So if health is ultimately what will determine the Angels winning and losing, Scioscia should take every conservative measure necessary.

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Skaggs TJ was in September of 2014.   

Tropeano's was in September of 2016.

Do you need any further explanation of the difference between the two?

I’m aware, still 88 pitches was a bit overly cautious but then again I’m a fan, wtf do I know. Although it was a frustrating game last night we won, so I’m over it. You guys made some good points about keeping guys healthy is the key to a successful season so if pulling a starter at 88 pitches is working then so be it. My issue is the bullpen is shaky and overused. 

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Oh, you're talking about Jim Johnson. I just looked, and his back-to-back 50-save seasons were in 2011 and 2012. Last year, he blew 9 saves in 31 opportunities. Do we really want to hand the closer role to a guy who blows it in 1 out of 3 save opportunities?

Ha. That long ago? Those were Trout's rookie and 2nd seasons . . . and Anderson was at UTSA

hell. @m0nkey might have still been in high school 

OP makes good points that I did not consider.  However, my issue is Scioscia's bullpen usage.  Using Jim Johnson for only one hitter and pulling him was a poor decision.  For those of you defending the pulling of Trop because it's a long season, I will use the same argument in bullpen usage; especially with the starters not being 100% and lately haven't been able to go deeper into games in a consistent basis.  Scioscia has to lay off the bullpen usage whenever possible.  

It wasn't that long ago that a bunch of posters criticized Sosh for sticking with the one closer idea.  They argued that was old school and the new approach was to use your best pitchers in pressure situations.

Makes me think it isn't the idea as much as it is the person with the idea.

Edited by mtangelsfan

2 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

It wasn't that long ago that a bunch of posters criticized Sosh for sticking with the one closer idea.  They argued that was old school and the new approach was to use your best pitchers in pressure situations.

You smart bastard

6 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Image result for ding ding ding gif