• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Kinsler changing our minds?

This winter, I absolutely did NOT want Ian Kinsler on this team. I recalled his antics when he was with the Rangers, the fact that he's in his mid-30's, coming off a down year, and was adamantly opposed.

Unquestionably a great ball player in his prime, but not a fit for our team, right?

But this Spring, he openly discussed some of the actions of his youth, has hustled around the diamond like Jackie Robinson, has powered up on some pitches, and played solid defense. He also appears to have no problem integrating himself into the team culture and can be found in the dugout deep in discussion with Scioscia on what I presume to be in-game tactics. 

He's changed my mind. No longer a despised player, I think he's going to have a great year, and if he does, hopefully he strongly considers returning. 

Has he changed anyone else's mind?

My two concerns with Kinsler were this:

1) His stupid douche comment about getting off our grass always anti-endeared me to his presence in our stadium

2) I was concerned that although he had a down year that it could be age catching up with him and his 2016 (and before) performance levels could be impacted

I can sort of get over the former but it will always be there.

The latter however clearly seems to be a non-issue. He is getting on-base well, is explosive (for his age) around the bases, and is playing really solid defense. I'm happy with the preliminary results and if he plays like this all year, particularly at the plate, the Angels will be in good shape for a potential playoff berth.

As far as the returning part I think the Angels could re-sign him on a short-term deal to bridge to a Jones (who is working out at 2B but who knows if it is serious) or Rivas or another trade or signing out of free agency (of which there will still be a lot of options next year).

He's definitely making it easy to like him now that he's on our side, but it's still spring. David Fletcher has looked really good too and he'll cost $13m less as next year's starting 2B. Different players but a dramatic cost difference too. Jose Fernandez could fill the Valbuena role next year too and play some 2B as well.

Nope, he hasn't changed my mind a bit. Kinsler is the type of player that feeds both into and off of his team. The atmosphere he was exposed to last season, being on a nothing team with a loser attitude, was a big part of why he had a down year. I fully expect a return to his career norms and for him to be a big part of a winning and successful season.

I've never questioned Kinsler's skills as a baseball player. Knew a quite a decent amount about him as a player when he was with the Rangers. He was a good all-around player with Texas and although he's not that guy no more, he can still help this team, especially with his defense.

Yeah, I agree that he'll have a bounce back year, since this is his contract year and the fact that he'll get to play with a super talented team that will expect to win and at least contend for a playoff spot.

It was 8 years ago. It's well past time to get over "The Comment." It's the type of thing that you love if one of your guys says it, hate if one of your competitors says it -- I hope he says the same thing to the Astros in October after we clinch. If he helps us win games in 2018 I could give two s**ts about something he said 8 years ago in the thick of a pennant race. 

Why would a few good spring training innings do anything to inform an opinion.  Are we also convinced Ohtani blows ?

Kinsler is an upgrade because we haven’t an non embarrassment at 2b in some time.  If Kinsler does exactly what he did last year with the bat it’s a huge upgrade.  But still not something we should be happy about.  I think he’ll be very good defensively.  Not worried about that aspect at all.  The bat we’ll see.  But again,  not much needs to happen for improvement.  In the end the position was likely upgraded at little cost for 1 year.  We have flexibility to revisit any time really.  I’m not concerned about it.