• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Tough Decision Time on Ohtani ?

It's still somewhat early in ST - but in about a week -- amazingly - it will be the mid-way point.

Here's the question with the much hyped Ohtani -- after all the build up do the Halos consider opening the season without Ohtani on the 25 man roster?

Not sure how this would work - but rather than have him sent to SLC to start the season, the Halos might consider leaving Ohtani behind in Tempe for an extended Spring Training to give him additional time to adjust to MLB, new country, new living situation and being a 23 year old kid who has the hopes of his home country on his shoulders (with his every move televised back home) and the eyes of MLB fans across the US and elsewhere on him wondering if he truly can be the next 'BABE RUTH' as touted on '60 Minutes' and elsewhere.

Ohtani could work out in Tempe (I don't think the Angels have anything other than a short season Rookie A League (short season) team there) and perhaps join the big league roster in mid-May or so. Not the start of the season, a little less hype and attention (although Ohtani will get the media attention where-ever he goes).

Anyway -- given what we've seen so far --with so much pressure on Ohtani and the difficulties with all the adjustments -- perhaps a delayed start to his Halos MLB debut might be the way to go. A tough call but one that may help him have a chance to get off to a better start and better over the long haul.

Ther are a lot of adjustments for him right now, plus the team may have him working on specific things they haven't made known to the public. There's also the fact that the halos are discovering a ton about him that never shows up on paper.

i don't know what's best for Ohtani or best for the Angels at this point but I trust the process they're going to use to decide.

12 minutes ago, ettin said:

As @tdawg87 said he will without any doubt barring an actual injury on the Opening Day roster. There is no way he is starting down in the Minors.

Isn’t he technically signed under a minor league contract now? Like I said earlier, I know it’s way too early but if he gets shelled the rest of the spring they would be crazy to put him on the 25 man. The Angels organization has already admitted that Ohtani is not complete yet. That guy has so much talent I would hate to see him struggle. 

44 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Remember when Scioscia sent Weaver down to AAA for some “seasoning”

I know it’s still way too early but maybe that wouldn’t be such a bad thing to do at the start of the season. It may actually help him relax and work on some things. 

For his part, Ohtani doesn’t seem to have any doubts he’s going to get where he needs to be by the start of the season, less than three weeks away.

“At this point, I feel like I’m taking the right steps forward,” he said. “Over the last few years, I’ve gotten where I need to be. I think I’ll be ready.”

I wouldn't consider Ohtani staying in Tempe for a prolonged Spring Training a demotion 'to the minors' - I consider a healthy alternative to placing a 23 year old kid with the hopes of an entire country on his shoulders and the interest of an entire MLB nation and associated media -- time to make what has to be just an unbelieveable pressure packed adjustment for a somewhat introverted, not that socially aware, kid.  It's asking a lot.

A month plus with daily workouts and some simulated games pitching in Tempe may allow him to have a better debut and actually increase his confidence level - which is about half the battle.

I feel for the kid - this ST can't be easy.  I think of Bobby Bonds "the next Willie Mays'; Bobby Murcer "the next Mickey Mantle' and for Ohtani in this day and age and everything else -- it has to be a thousand times worse that it was for those guys.

50 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Remember when Scioscia sent Weaver down to AAA for some “seasoning”

I know it’s still way too early but maybe that wouldn’t be such a bad thing to do at the start of the season. It may actually help him relax and work on some things. 

2006–2007

He made his MLB debut on May 27, 2006, starting against the Baltimore Orioles. He pitched seven shutout innings, striking out five, and earned the victory. This was followed with three more consecutive victories. Despite his success, when Bartolo Colón returned from the disabled list, Weaver was bumped out of the rotation and sent back down to the minors.

He sent him down because Colon was coming off the DL. Weaver won his first 4 starts in impressive style. He didn't need anymore seasoning.

5 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

If he's sent down to the minors, to start the year to gain an additional season of control, we'll have a full blown strike on our hands. The MLBPA is already pissed over perceived collusion by the owners. If Ohtani was in the minors, there would be blood.

That would not be the primary reason to start him out in the minors. It would be to prepare him for MLB.