• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Vote: Who is the most exciting Angels player you've ever seen play?

Chuck

Vote: Who is the most exciting Angels player you've ever seen play?   

100 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most exciting Angels player you've ever seen play?

• Mike Trout
    • Darin Erstad
    • Reggie Jackson
    • Vladimir Guerrero
    • Nolan Ryan
    • Francisco Rodriguez
    • Chone Figgins
    • Jered Weaver
    • Rod Carew
    • Wally Joyner
    • Luis Polonia
    • Tony Phillips
    • Tim Salmon
    • Troy Glaus
    • Troy Percival
    • Jim Edmonds
    • Devon White
    • Jim Abbott
    • Andrelton Simmons
    • Chili Davis

Not that it actually matters much, I just thought this was interesting: Vlad's best year, he hit a WAR of 7.4. Trout has put up a higher WAR than that every year except last, where he only put up 6.7 (obviously due to injury). Honestly, that means very little for how 'exciting' a player is.

Really though, I like Trout because he is home grown, and everything about him oozes excitement and energy. And I can't choose Ryan because he was before my time.

after ryan threw his first no-hitter, it felt like every single start could end with another no-no. that was thrilling to watch in person or on tv.

don baylor's mvp season in '79 was fantastic fun. guy hit the ball harder than anyone i can remember.

reggie's first season in anaheim was a blast to watch.

salmon and his rock steady approach. he was putting up some pretty impressive numbers, something the angels hadn't had a lot of in their past.

whenever vladdy came up, especially in '04, each at bat was simply a remote dropper. i couldn't wait to see what he was going to do next.

and trout - well, just brilliant each and every time he's on the field or at the plate. we are blessed to have him on our team and see him day in day out.

Nolan Ryan took no hit stuff to the mound almost every time he pitched for the Angels. He is by far the most exciting player in Angel history and it isn't even close. When Ryan played there was electricity in the air and the possibility of something great happening was a very real thing. When he pitched there were literally thousands and thousands of people attending the game that ordinarily wouldn't have been there. Ryan was by far the biggest draw and the most exciting player in Angel history. Nolan Ryan set major league records in an Angel uniform that might never be broken. I can't think of a single other Angel player that this could be said of..including Mike Trout!

12 minutes ago, Angels#1Fan said:

Nolan Ryan took no hit stuff to the mound almost every time he pitched for the Angels. He is by far the most exciting player in Angel history and it isn't even close. When Ryan played there was electricity in the air and the possibility of something great happening was a very real thing. When he pitched there were literally thousands and thousands of people attending the game that ordinarily wouldn't have been there. Ryan was by far the biggest draw and the most exciting player in Angel history. Nolan Ryan set major league records in an Angel uniform that might never be broken. I can't think of a single other Angel player that this could be said of..including Mike Trout!

I know back in those days, we couldn't afford many games - and when we went, we'd always make sure Ryan was pitching - there was nothing like him - can still remember the sound of his fastball hissing through the air and popping the catcher's mitt, and hearing it echo.  

Trout and Guerrero are certainly worthy - but as a pitcher, Ryan was front and center for half of the game - and for that half of the game, he could dominate like few others - even when he couldn't find the strike zone :)

For me it was Vlad, because not only was he actually exciting to watch (whether at the plate or that arm), but he also had #1 hit in Angels baseball (according to me) in game three against the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park. 

Ryan and Trout will probably go down as the best offensive & pitching Angels ever based on stats, but Vlad got all of my love after that hit stuck the dagger in the Red Sox and their fans hearts, finally ending our postseason curse against Boston.

Ryan and Trout, though I know their playoff appearances with the Angels were minimal (like one each), Vlad was a monster and that one hit against Boston will always resonate in my heart. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Trout 

Ryan not going in as a Halos pitcher into the HOF was a total joke!   Especially if Vlad goes in as an Expos player!!!!

It wasn't a joke, it was payback for the way the Angel organization practically rode him out of town and then insulted him on top of it (Bavasi saying he could get two 8-7 pitchers to replace him). Ryan should have been an Angel for much longer but it didn't work out because of arrogance and stupidity.

Ryan resented the treatment he received here, he wanted to remain an Angel but Bavasi fixed it so that Ryan would leave. If anyone is to blame for Ryan not going into the HOF as an Angel it is Bavasi and Bavasi alone!

1 hour ago, Angels#1Fan said:

Not only was it fun to watch Ryan pitch because he had no hit stuff, but when he didn't have control and was wild, it was fun watching the fear in the eyes of the opposing batters. 

I'm a younger fan, I started watching back in the late 90s.trout is the most exciting by far. Though Erstads 260 hit year was pretty special. K-rod when he first came up was incredible. He nearly struck out every body. We would not have won the world series without him. I think he was really the rally monkey. He would come in with the team down a run and he would strike out the side and he would get so pumped up and the crown and the players fed off of it. I think it motivated guys to step up at the plate. Great times in angel baseball. 

Cant pick one. And to clarify, is it all around? For example, simmons is unreal at SS. Erstad in CF...Devin White out there...even Bourjos was smooth as hell to watch.

Batting? Vlad, if not only for his numbers, but his swing. And the almost sure thing youd see everything hit hard. Trumbos power was pretty impressive to watch. Krod at his prime. Figgins' speed and baserunning.

I think trouts rookie year was the best.i like the power he has now, but that rookie year was insane. In between home runs, it was the constsnt multi hit games. Seemed like every base hit would lead to a stolen base. The doubles and triples. And all the robbed home runs. Not sure anything will ever top that. He could break bonds' HR record and id still take that power speed combo over it.

When I first saw the subject line, my first thought was Mickey Rivers, too. Very exciting player.

But I think the most exciting time I ever had watching an Angel player, the time that I was screaming at the TV the loudest for an Angel, was when K-Rod was mowing down Yankee hitters in the 2002 ALDS. The mighty Yankees, who had won three straight WS and then BARELY lost the 2001 WS in seven games!

Then K-Rods magic continued in the ALCS and the WS. The guy just came out of nowhere with that unhittable slider or splitter or whatever it was (maybe both?). He debuted in mid September and was almost unhittable. It was incredible! I dont think I have ever seen a slider break that much, to this day. It was like Bruce Sutter's splitter, only sideways. He could barely control it and did walk a few along the way. But he usually struck out the next guy.

For a brief moment in Angel history, we had the something like a Mariano Rivera.

Oh sure, the Glaus double was exciting.

But this young rookie, who was falling off the mound after every unhittable pitch, was just so unexpectedly exciting.

I'd would certainly add Torii Hunter to that list.

I voted JImmy Edmonds simply because some of the great catches he made - particularly that one in KC. Edmonds and Hunter both made spectacular catches in bunches at times - I remember watching games (on TV) where these guys seemed to make sensational catches one after the other.

Trout made a catch last year (was it last year) that ranked right up there with Edmonds KC catch and those fabulous Torii Hunter catches.

this list is really 'exciitng' player and not necessarily a longevity issue with the team........that being said, I add  Darin Erstad who was always an exciting player to watch, Peter Bourjos who I really liked when he came up as well as Chone Figgins -- a very exciting player.

and then, in terms of sheer excitement and energy -- a player who stands TALL in this category --- the "X" Factor -- David Eckstein.

Pitchers - was there a relief pitcher more exciting than when K-Rod first hit the scene in that amazing 2002 season?