• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Third base plan

Dtwncbad

Not too long ago I was hypnotized into thinking the Angels would be "fine" at 3B with Valbuena considering he hit 16 homers in the second half.

A deeper dive has me in a panic (like he hit .213 in this "better" second half).

Chase Headley is about the least exciting player I can think of.  But a .352 OB is far more comforting than any stat I can find on Valbuena.

Cozart figured out how to draw walks.  the halfway point in his OB over the last 2 yrs is .347.  I will take it.

Bottom line is now I am firmly in the camp of Valbuena not being on the roster or being in a very, very reserved role. . . Like 250 at bats max.

Billy, go get some more OB like you said you wanted. . .

3 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I actually like Valbuena on the roster. We need versatility and he has it. Plus Valbuena is better than we saw last year. He is a solid player, he just got hurt and had trouble finding momentum.

More importantly we need left-handed power on the roster, and he has that in spades. 

Valbuena might have versatility, but he is not very good defensively. Offensively, he is all or nothing. If they are stressing "D" then Cowart should look pretty good at third. He's better than anyone discussed defensively. He would be the one weak link offensively. When he has played regularly he has hit ok. He has some speed. And he is no Vlad on the base paths. If Eppler can't find a good option for 3rd, Cowart might be ok.  That would make for an extremely good defensive team.

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Why do we need left handed power if the regular right handers have no problem with right handers?

Pretty much, these are the same dummies in the FO that wanted to platoon Cron with a LH. Every year he's been better against RH's than LH's. He's either marginally the same or slightly better against RH vs LH, that's the only way you can read the stats. And no reason to platoon when he's better against RH's than the LH hitter.. Valbuena can't hit and he was playing more than him against RH's until Escobar got hurt, it's literally so sad sometimes.

I’m trying to figure out how Cozart is that much better than Cowart.  Just wondering what Cowarts stats look like if he’s given 500 ABs.  Maybe we don’t have the luxury of giving Cowart the ABs, but it seems that he could provide elite defense at 3rd.  If we’re not going to play him much, maybe Ohtani can give him some tips on going 2 ways also-  he has a great arm- maybe he can be a reliever/utility man.  

Incredibly unlikely this will ever happen, but just for fun and as a thought exercise, let's say the Orioles allow whoever they trade with to negotiate with Machado prior to completing the trade.  And, moreover, let's say that Machado actually would agree to a deal.  If both of those were to occur, who would you give up to acquire Machado?

26 minutes ago, howie said:

I’m trying to figure out how Cozart is that much better than Cowart.  Just wondering what Cowarts stats look like if he’s given 500 ABs.  Maybe we don’t have the luxury of giving Cowart the ABs, but it seems that he could provide elite defense at 3rd.  If we’re not going to play him much, maybe Ohtani can give him some tips on going 2 ways also-  he has a great arm- maybe he can be a reliever/utility man.  

Z > W?

32 minutes ago, IheartLA said:

Pretty much, these are the same dummies in the FO that wanted to platoon Cron with a LH. Every year he's been better against RH's than LH's. He's either marginally the same or slightly better against RH vs LH, that's the only way you can read the stats. And no reason to platoon when he's better against RH's than the LH hitter.. Valbuena can't hit and he was playing more than him against RH's until Escobar got hurt, it's literally so sad sometimes.

I really love the new guy who hates on Eppler, it’s so edgy. 

1 hour ago, VariousCrap said:

Valbuena is trash and shouldn't be the starting 3B.  Not sure why Eppler would fix so many weaknesses only to leave this one.  I have to think they will make a move.  There are plenty of options out there for Eppler to choose from.

Because Valbuena is better than he was last year. 

1 hour ago, Torridd said:

Is Escobar a free agent? Have we severed ties with him?

Something happened with Escobar that nobody is talking about. It’s not unusual to see players that are rehabbing injuries still hanging around the team and in the dugout. Escobar was sent to Siberia. He did host a bachelor party for Mike Trout.

28 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

Something happened with Escobar that nobody is talking about. It’s not unusual to see players that are rehabbing injuries still hanging around the team and in the dugout. Escobar was sent to Siberia. He did host a bachelor party for Mike Trout.

You know that whatever happens at an Escobar Bachelor party stays at the Bachelor party. 

CRUZnqAWgAAntjX.jpg

8 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

Valbuena is trash and shouldn't be the starting 3B.  Not sure why Eppler would fix so many weaknesses only to leave this one.  I have to think they will make a move.  There are plenty of options out there for Eppler to choose from.

I believe Eppler will fix 3B and realizes Valbuena isn't the answer but there's no rush as there was at 2B.

I think they've got to figure out in spring training whether Ohtani can DH with any regularity before making decisions at 1B, 3B and DH and getting rid of Cron or Valbuena. 

I'd be ok with either Headley or Frazier at 3B/1B instead of Valbuena.  Yankees got within one win of the WS with Headley and Frazier at 3B so obviously they have the capability to play at a championship level.  Both are better defensive players than Valbuena.

With Upton and Kinsler added the offense will be much better so not worried about offense at 3B at this point...only defense.

I’d prefer Eppler to find a blocked prospect to trade for like a McMahon.

I was all for Kinsler and have no problems with the 1 maybe 2 year solution at 2nd but I’d like to try and find a long term solution at 3rd for cheap. Obviously this is so much easier said than done but it’d help out big time financially even if it costs us two top of the line prospects