• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Third base plan

Dtwncbad

.228/ .315/.399/.714 

This my friends is Valbuena career slash line, as a matter of fact most of these numbers were put in an hitter friendly environment, They are not eye popping. Angels stadium is not a hitter friend either, So i think Valbuena will put the same number he did last year.  With that said he should not be on starting 3rd baseman next year. Here are 2 of my top 3rd baseman to consider.

1.   Yanger Solarte (31 yrs of age), A switch hitter, with good power to all fields, puts the ball in to play has averaged about 60 K per season. Cheap contract until 2020. Defensively not strong at 3rd, but no way near as bad as Esco and can play all 4 infield positions.   

2. Headley (34)- Switch Hitter, OK power but good OBP, can play 1st and 3rd, good club guy, one year contract.

7 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Do the Halos gamble on Valbuena having a resurgence similar to his post-ASB numbers in 2017, and thus move him into the 1B/DH platoon along with some 3B backup and then trade Cron for say a solid enough late innings reliever?

That then only leaves 3B to truly solve for 2018 and hopefully also after that.

This won’t happen. 

It could, although obviously not etched in stone, as Shohei may only DH some 60-70 games, which leaves some 250-260 games for Pujols and Valbuena. 

Valbuena is not very good defensively at 3B, granted Simba's ridiculous range makes range less important at 3B.   Need a reliable glove and arm at 3B, and not another Noscobar or Valbuena butchering it.  

Agreed there, ideally, Valbuena would get tops about 100 starts mainly at 1B and a little DHing (and only against RHP).

Now, if they could find a LHH who plays a solid enough 3B and hits well enough, they could deal Valbuena and keep Cron and his improving defense.

If no other LHH's are acquired, then that still only leaves Calhoun, Valbuena, and Ohtani.    Valbuena needs to be kept then, otherwise there is a dearth of LHH's in the lineup as Ohtani would likely only DH some 60-70 times. 

3 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Agreed there, ideally, Valbuena would get tops about 100 starts mainly at 1B and a little DHing (and only against RHP).

Now, if they could find a LHH who plays a solid enough 3B and hits well enough, they could deal Valbuena and keep Cron and his improving defense.

If only a FA like that existed...his name has to rhyme with spike sploogestockus

1 minute ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

If only a FA like that existed...his name has to rhyme with spike sploogestockus

He isn't worth the difference in contract between him and Valbuena.  I would like him, but probably not at what he is going to get.  Especially if we go with a 6 man rotation and a 7 man pen.  So if you sign Moustakas, you need to trade Valbuena or Cron, if not both.  You need a utility infielder that could cover SS, and a 4th outfielder that could play CF.  

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He isn't worth the difference in contract between him and Valbuena.  I would like him, but probably not at what he is going to get.  Especially if we go with a 6 man rotation and a 7 man pen.  So if you sign Moustakas, you need to trade Valbuena or Cron, if not both.  You need a utility infielder that could cover SS, and a 4th outfielder that could play CF.  

I agree with you on Moustakas. He just doesn't fit what the Angels are doing other than providing power. In my opinion those resources should be used for pitching. Trade the likes of Heaney/shoe/Trop/Cron for the depth.

3 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I agree with you on Moustakas. He just doesn't fit what the Angels are doing other than providing power. In my opinion those resources should be used for pitching. Trade the likes of Heaney/shoe/Trop/Cron for the depth.

I agree except with Heaney.  I consider him someone I wouldn't trade for simply depth.  I would trade him, but it would have to be part of the future.  He would have to demand a young cost controlled 3rd or 2nd baseman, or else his upside is worth more to just keep him.  

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I agree except with Heaney.  I consider him someone I wouldn't trade for simply depth.  I would trade him, but it would have to be part of the future.  He would have to demand a young cost controlled 3rd or 2nd baseman, or else his upside is worth more to just keep him.  

Definitely. I'd like to see maybe a base package of Heaney/Jones go to Pittsburgh for Cole. If we can trade for a frontline starter vs signing one I'm all for that.