• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels on the “verge” of acquiring 3B...

CanadianHalo

I wouldn't have minded Chase as a 3B/1B/LHDH/LHPH if we didn't sign Ohtani who can do all of that minus 3B obviously..... I don't see the power being there as he is out of NY... He's more of a flipper (flips the ball to the opposite field guy now).

On the Road Stats from last year... 5HR 32RBI .259 AVG  .330 OBP  .376 SLG .706 OPS

11 minutes ago, krAbs said:

I have never really watched Solarte, and I have enough trouble with defensive stats that I have trouble evaluating his defense at third. Anyone know if he is any good at the position?

I don’t think I’d want Solarte as our primary 3B option.  I would have been okay with him as our 2B, though.  He is notably a better LH hitter than a RH hitter.  He’d be a good utility player that we could flex around and cover 2B/3B and SS in an emergency, but I think he’d be a below average starter at 3B.

Just now, Turd Ferguson said:

Let's assume it is Headley and let's assume we take on his full contract. After the Kinsler trade, how much $$$ would we have left to work with? Headley is meh but if it means we have some flexibility to add some pitching then I could warm up to the idea.

I am beginning to think the question is less 'how much money can we work with' and more 'how much money can we put towards our budget next year'. Hopefully if we do that, arte will be more okay with going over the luxury tax to get the right pieces.

That being said, we would be sitting on about 170.5 million AAV, and the luxury tax kicks in at 197 million. So, if we really wanted to, we could hand out about 26.5 million. Again, I kinda doubt we will do that. Especially considering the fact that that doesn't count the Ohtani money (20 million) that went to the club and doesn't count against luxury tax.

I can see Arte waiting a year for the big FA class.    Pujols only has 3 years left on his contract then, and the $20 million has already been paid to Ohtani's Japanese team a year earlier.   Based on Kinsler and the new 3B being one year guys, the team could have upwards of $50-$55 million to work with a year from now. 

Chase Chase could be a decent chase.    Like the OBP and his decent 3B defense, as only the errors and not the range factor gotten worse.   As long as he can get back to fielding most everything near him, Simba has the rest of the left side covered. 

12 minutes ago, Turd Ferguson said:

Let's assume it is Headley and let's assume we take on his full contract. After the Kinsler trade, how much $$$ would we have left to work with? Headley is meh but if it means we have some flexibility to add some pitching then I could warm up to the idea.

11 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I can see Arte waiting a year for the big FA class.    Pujols only has 3 years left on his contract then, and the $20 million has already been paid to Ohtani's Japanese team a year earlier.   Based on Kinsler and the new 3B being one year guys, the team could have upwards of $50-$55 million to work with a year from now. 

Chase Chase could be a decent chase.    Like the OBP and his decent 3B defense.   As long as he can field everything near him, Simba has the rest of the left side covered. 

And damn, that 2019 free agent class is sexy. Its totally plausible that we get a long term fix at both 2b and 3b from it, if we are willing to come up to (or maybe a bit passed) the luxury tax. I still need to look at who on our team becomes free agents next year - some of them could be a problem. If Rich goes off this year and we make the playoffs, he could end up getting paid.

Edit - to answer my own question, johnson (probably let him go), wood (we'll see), maldonado (resign on the cheap), and richards (will be interesting - we will probably have to spend real money here, either on him or on another starter).

1 minute ago, krAbs said:

And damn, that 2019 free agent class is sexy. Its totally plausible that we get a long term fix at both 2b and 3b from it, if we are willing to come up to (or maybe a bit passed) the luxury tax. I still need to look at who on our team becomes free agents next year - some of them could be a problem. If Rich goes off this year and we make the playoffs, he could end up getting paid.

I wish we could sign Trout to an extension before next off season so we know how much money we would have to play with.  

2 minutes ago, krAbs said:

With Richards potentially set to depart, we will most likely need to target a top tier SP to take his place.  Obviously we will have a 2B hole to fill as well, and maybe 1B/3B too, depending on our next move.  We will also need to re-up Maldonado and/or find an equivalent.

I don’t think we have room in the budget for another genuine superstar, but we should have enough payroll space to fill most of those gaps fairly well.  Hopefully we continue to see our young pitchers develop too, thus providing us cheap, competent depth in the rotation.

Trading for Headley doesn't necessarily mean we're out on Moustakas either. 

If there is no 3B market for him the price goes down and he can sign here later in January. 

Headley can be our 1B when Pujols DH's and back up 3B. 

Maybe we trade Valbuena and Cron for some relief pitching or starting pitching help, or for a solid utility player like Profar?

8 minutes ago, floplag said:

Cant say im on board with the "wait for that sexy 19 FA class" approach.  Giving away another season with stop gaps on a what if?  Especially when other top spenders are directly in our wheelhouse.  I hope this isnt the plan, though its starting to look like it is.  

I think part of the problem is, looking around at this year, its hard to see how we can spend our way to another team. Most position players on the free agency seem to come with huge asterisks. Money spent will be pretty inefficient this offseason. Unless maybe we go for more pitching.

Unless Eppler thinks outside of the box, and is able to eat expensive contracts from other teams, in order to get good players for little prospects? Kinda like Stanton type deals? idk.

edit - I mean, maybe I'm the crazy one. Do you see a real way we can open the pocketbook and buy an incredible team this offseason? Cuz we for sure need more than Darvish or Arrieta or whatever, you know?

I really want to see Eppler go after Solarte instead. You get him for three years, outside of Petco, you can count on .270/.330 30 DB 20 HR each year and solid average defense. Basically similar numbers to Headley with a few major differences.

1. 4 years younger.

2. Costs less money.

3. More team control.

4. Can be shifted to 2B next year if the Angels decide to be in on Machado or Donaldson.

I think Yangervis Solarte is a decent path to take here.

5 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

I really want to see Eppler go after Solarte instead. You get him for three years, outside of Petco, you can count on .270/.330 30 DB 20 HR each year and solid average defense. Basically similar numbers to Headley with a few major differences.

1. 4 years younger.

2. Costs less money.

3. More team control.

4. Can be shifted to 2B next year if the Angels decide to be in on Machado or Donaldson.

I like this idea

12 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

1. 4 years younger.

2. Costs less money.

3. More team control.

He wouldn't be as expensive as Hernandez but the Pads won't trade him just to move him....it would take a decent prospect(s)....

41 minutes ago, Scotty@AW said:

1. 4 years younger.

2. Costs less money.

3. More team control.

I'm down with this plan.  I'd use the money saved to sign Santana to play first.