• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees

southpaw

11 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

With a looming press conference coming in Miami, with cameras in Jeter's face, maybe Jeter has asked for an extra couple of days for a festering cold sore to heal.

Jeter is probably smiling too much because of how excited he is for the Yankees, even Jeter probably knows he probably helped tip the balance in favor of the Yankees winning the 2018 WS.

Now what will be funny is if both Stanton & Judge struggle in 2018 for two different reasons: Judge because its the sophmore slump & pitchers made their adjustments, Stanton because given his history he's likely to get injured & all the pressure on him to hit 60HRs gets to him & effects his play.

Can we all be honest about exactly how injury prone Stanton is?

It is absurd to include the games he missed from taking a pitch to his face.

Yes Stanton has missed some games otherwise but the reality is he produces enough in 135 games per year average (exxluding the broken face) to be well worth having on your team.

6 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Jeter is probably smiling too much because of how excited he is for the Yankees, even Jeter probably knows he probably helped tip the balance in favor of the Yankees winning the 2018 WS.

Now what will be funny is if both Stanton & Judge struggle in 2018 for two different reasons: Judge because its the sophmore slump & pitchers made their adjustments, Stanton because given his history he's likely to get injured & all the pressure on him to hit 60HRs gets to him & effects his play.

If the Yankees win the world series championship next season they should invite Jeter to receive another ring. 

Further on the Stanton "injury prone" angle. . .

Even in the year he played 74 games he put up a 3.9 WAR.

His career average is 4.7 WAR per 135 games played.

And he sells tickets and gets people watching because of the jaw-dropping power.

Anyway, I guess my point is all the haters saying he isn't worth it because he is always hurt are way off base.

9 minutes ago, OHTANILAND said:

If the Yankees win the world series championship next season they should invite Jeter to receive another ring. 

Totally but It won't go over well with the 5 or 6 Marlin season ticket holders though.

On twitter yesterday a massive amount of Yankee fans were tweeting thanks to Jeter, it was hilarious.

3 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Further on the Stanton "injury prone" angle. . .

Even in the year he played 74 games he put up a 3.9 WAR.

His career average is 4.7 WAR per 135 games played.

And he sells tickets and gets people watching because of the jaw-dropping power.

Anyway, I guess my point is all the haters saying he isn't worth it because he is always hurt are way off base.

What about the guy who's added to a lineup while Stanton is hurt ? the injury replacement level guy could have a negative -1.0 WAR or something.
So if Stanton plays in 135 games in RF for the Yankees with a 4.7 WAR but the guy who played the other games has a -1.0 WAR that means they got a 3.7 WAR total from RF.

3 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

What about the guy who's added to a lineup while Stanton is hurt ? the injury replacement level guy could have a negative -1.0 WAR or something.
So if Stanton plays in 135 games in RF for the Yankees with a 4.7 WAR but the guy who played the other games has a -1.0 WAR that means they got a 3.7 WAR total from RF.

So if your star player gets hurt you only get 3.7 WAR from that spot on the filed?

What a problem to have.  Imagine if that happened at every position.  Yeah, that would be brutal.

Further, for the context to be correct, if you say the replacement "could" be -1.0 WAR, the Stanton "could" put up a 5.7 WAR before he gets hurt.

WAR is supposed to be a number you compare to what the replacement would do.

18 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

It take some really awful managing to let a player get to -1 WAR, especially in such a short time.

25 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

It take some really awful managing to let a player get to -1 WAR, especially in such a short time.

Yeah + extremely bad defense in RF which would account for most of the negative WAR.

Brandon Wood had a -1.5 WAR in 85 games in 2010, -0.8 in 55 games in 2008, -0.4 in 13 games in 2007 but all of that was from inability to hit.

7 minutes ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Yeah + extremely bad defense in RF which would account for most of the negative WAR.

Brandon Wood had a -1.5 WAR in 85 games in 2010, -0.8 in 55 games in 2008, -0.4 in 13 games in 2007 but all of that was from inability to hit.

Wood is a good example of a team giving a long leash to a top prospect who was in the processes of proving he couldn't cut it in the major leagues. You'll see it with other players who get long leashes like veteran players like Pujols. You won't see it happen with a backup player thrust into full time duty.

My only beef still with Wood was they never, ever (according to the pulse of reports daily) gave Wood a large established window to pass or fail.  It sure seemed.like every single time he played he needed to get a hit to play the next day.

Usually nobody does well in that situation.

Tell a guy he is going to play regularly going forward, so you don't need to win the job today, normally works better.

In the end he failed and that is on him.  I think there is a 2% chance things could have been different.  But that's not enough to assign blame away from Wood, just to feel like your losing lottery ticket was close. . . And coulda.

47 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

My only beef still with Wood was they never, ever (according to the pulse of reports daily) gave Wood a large established window to pass or fail.  It sure seemed.like every single time he played he needed to get a hit to play the next day.

Tell a guy he is going to play regularly going forward, so you don't need to win the job today, normally works better.

In the end he failed and that is on him.  I think there is a 2% chance things could have been different.  But that's not enough to assign blame away from Wood, just to feel like your losing lottery ticket was close. . . And coulda.

Wood later admitted in a interview he had bad anxiety, alot of it during his playing career. They needed to find a way to make him relaxed, i remember each time he looked like he was scared or worried each time he went up to bat, a shrink & xanax might have saved his career. The anxiety was probably why he couldn't hit AAA pitching anymore either.

57 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Agree with you on Wood.  I felt something similar last year with Cowart as well. He came up on a hot streak, but was still sat down in favor of a platoon  which he ended up digging himself into a hole he couldn't get out of.

I wish the angels would sit down with Cowart and say you are our guy this year whether or not a lefty or righty is pitching - you're playing everyday.  I mean they gave Espinosa a pretty long leash..what was it 100 games or so?  Why not Cowart?

And if he fails, then go to a platoon or let Valbuena play everyday.  But at least give the guy a real shot.

18 hours ago, rottiesworld said:

I’m just tired of the no trade contract and every year it’s the same thing where it’s always the Yankees or Red Sox. I wish they would fix it where smaller teams had a chance to get some good players and let them have a chance for the playoffs.

The team gave him the no trade contract. It’s not his fault he used it. Would you rather go to a good team or bad team? If I’m being traded I’d rather go to a team who’s gonna spend money and be in the playoffs. Yankees or Dodgers made the most sense. Angels just got Ohtani don’t be mad :)

2 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

From all accounts, it sounded like the dodgers would get him for sure. The fact they didnt chase him, when hes a beast and they have the money, is kind of interesting. They have a very smart FO. Wonder (besides the money) what they see that they didnt like.

Like I said ... they did make a effort to get him. 

3 hours ago, Scioscia4MVP said:

Wood later admitted in a interview he had bad anxiety, alot of it during his playing career. They needed to find a way to make him relaxed, i remember each time he looked like he was scared or worried each time he went up to bat, a shrink & xanax might have saved his career. The anxiety was probably why he couldn't hit AAA pitching anymore either.

Interesting. I could never really understand why he regressed so much returning to AAA, when players usually get better.