• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mariners acquire 2B Dee Gordon

"We're going to play Dee in center field," Mariners general manager Jerry Dipoto said. "It's a conversation that's already occurred. We're very excited about bringing on this kind of athlete. ... His athletic ability is obvious to those who watch, but his ability to close ground, and more specifically, his launchability, that first-step burst that Dee gets is on par with the elite center fielders in baseball. We feel like that gives him a chance to be a separator in center field."

See attached for Dee's launchability in CF he is the final play.

JD was quoted the other day as saying he values positional flexibility....  his new thing.    To that end they are talking about letting Gamel, a career OFer get innings at 1B.  They have talked about Healey and his iron glove getting some time at 3B.  They have mentioned Cruz in RF when talking about Ohtani and now Dee Gordon is going to play some CF.   Looking forward to the Mariners acquisition of Arrieta to play catcher.

Never chance Jerry -- never change.

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Why?  It’s literally one more acquisition to acquire the same amount of money as Seattle.  Seattle can’t obtain more money, they are at their limit. 

At some point you have to stop chasing. If he chooses to play for Seattle or San Diego and not us it’s more about our organizational structure then anything else. We have a 50+ year old non-iconic stadium and spring training facilities. We’re still on his list so let’s see what happens. I just don’t want Eppler to ship off anymore prospects for an uncertain situation. 

3 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

Appreciate Eppler trying but Dipoto will sacrifice anything possible to get Ohtani without worrying about the consequences if they  miss out. Eppler can't fall into that trap over an uncertainty

Congrats to the Mariners on getting Ohtani

You seem to have a lot of quit.

3 minutes ago, Calzone said:

At some point you have to stop chasing. If he chooses to play for Seattle or San Diego and not us it’s more about our organizational structure then anything else. We have a 50+ year old non-iconic stadium and spring training facilities. We’re still on his list so let’s see what happens. I just don’t want Eppler to ship off anymore prospects for an uncertain situation. 

You do realize he will still use that money to sign other international players.  So if he gives up a prospect, gets a player and bonus money, and increases our chance at Ohtani, then it’s a good move. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You do realize he will still use that money to sign other international players.  So if he gives up a prospect, gets a player and bonus money, and increases our chance at Ohtani, then it’s a good move. 

one does wonder though, really.  who else is out there in terms of available foreign prospects for us to sign ?  A couple more of the Braves guys ? I think the Angels should tread carefully here.  We don't need to throw away another prospect.  We've given it a good shot.  Lets see where the chips land.  Its hard to imagine that if Otani WANTS to be a Angel, the extra million dollars is gonna be that big of a deal. He could have waited 2 more years for a mega deal if it was about the money.

Edited by UndertheHalo

7 minutes ago, Calzone said:

I am guessing that Eppler knows that he does not need to ship off anymore prospects and Ohtanhi knows what the future holds for teams that do.

4 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

one does wonder though, really.  who else is out there in terms of available foreign prospects for us to sign ?  A couple more of the Braves guys ? I think the Angels should tread carefully here.  We don't need to throw away another prospect.  We've given it a good shot.  Lets see where the chips land.  Its hard to imagine that if Otani WANTS to be a Angel, the extra million dollars is gonna be that big of a deal. He could have waited 2 more years for a mega deal if it was about the money.

The Braves guys, Marte who was the second highest rated international player but failed his physical, there’s also a Cuban SS that just did a work out.  

22 minutes ago, Stradling said:

The Braves guys, Marte who was the second highest rated international player but failed his physical, there’s also a Cuban SS that just did a work out.  

severino, as well.

he'd be a pretty nice signing for the angels. i was wondering if he has a deal in waiting with another team already, because he seems like just what the angels need in their system.

30 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Right, but if we fail to land Otani don’t we have money to get a couple of these guys anyway ?

Edited by UndertheHalo

2 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Okay, I'm going to through it out here for discussion. Let's assume the sticking point for trading with the Phillies for Hernandez was that they wanted Jam Jones and we wouldn't include him. Would you now trade Jam Jones and Chris Rodriguez to the Phillies for Hernandez and $750 k in international money? The Phillies have $900 k I think left, but can only trade international money in units of $250k. 

I think I would do that because as much as I believe in Jones, I think we need to solve 2B for a long time. Hernandez does that, establishes a leadoff hitter for us, and gives us solid defense up the middle. That wouldn't be a desperation move, IMHO, because it solves a true need for us with a legitimate solution (not like taking a CFer and putting him at 2B). Just posting for discussion.

Not sure, because aim not up on our prospects like you guys. But, I likely would. Hernadez has become more and more interesting to me. Two stones with leadoff hitter and 2B solved. And solved for long term...where we have no in house options.

Hernandez and moustakas (for the right price) would be nice offseason face lift.

I think this move by Jerry was based straight on desperation. With how things went down yesterday, I think Ohtani decision is done to us and the marliners and his agent probably told Jerry and Billy to get a bit more money. The reason I think this trade was done in desperation, was simply I think Jerry freaked out when we got the bonus and knowing we need a 2nd baseman and that the Marlins were willing to include intl bonus in a trade freaked him out more. He pretty much had to get this trade done, including the fact that Cruz may be playing left field, meant they should have gotten a better defensive CF, and there were better abd cheaper options in the market.but due to our case in needing a 2nd baseman this was done.