• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout/Stanton/Arte

Stradling

I agree.

Of all things I complain about on this board Arte has always been way down the list. I don’t recall complaining about him at all really.

He doesn’t always make the smartest baseball decisions but we all celebrated the Pujols/Hamilton signings (so cant bash him for that) and he’s always been more than willing to try to win at all costs.

It could be A LOT worse

19 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Throughout the season and off season sometimes we let our emotions and our frustrations get the best of us.  Some of the things we hear/read a lot is Arte is cheap or he meddles or he only cares about 3 million fans or he isn’t really interested in winning.  This inevitably ends with the “Arte should sell the team”.  

Right now in Miami we are seeing what a new ownership might do to a team.  They are hellbent on reducing salary and are looking to trade their young MVP, who is marketable, and anyone else that gets paid.  Who’s to say if Arte sold the Angels the new owner wouldn’t take the exact same approach?  

With Arte, you know what you’re going to get.  A high budget team, that’s usually at least in the conversation for some of the bigger names.  We have never seen Arte slash payroll and probably never will.  Arte will never trade Trout to reduce salary, NEVER.  That’s not to say he won’t trade him, but he wouldn’t do it for any other reason than Trout wanting out.  

”I wish Arte would sell the team” should fall firmly in the category of “Be careful what you wish for”.  

And when all of the dust clears Miami’s new owner and management team might just build a sustainable winner through the draft and smart trades. The Marlins already have two championships despite only being around since 1991. What’s wrong with dumping one of the most expensive contracts in sports history. I believe Jeter will rebuild that franchise and make it very competitive in a very short time. 

Yea, Arte does really “care” about the franchise. Yes, his decisions don’t always pan out. But I was one of the ones jumping for joy when those signings were announced. Albert’s deal was one of the best days of my life.... The only real downer I have with Arte is removing Anaheim from the teams name.... No matter what financial benefits it has, I really wish this team was the ANAHEIM ANGELS. Hopefully we can keep the team in the city of Anaheim for the very long future.

7 minutes ago, Calzone said:

And when all of the dust clears Miami’s new owner and management team might just build a sustainable winner through the draft and smart trades. The Marlins already have two championships despite only being around since 1991. What’s wrong with dumping one of the most expensive contracts in sports history. I believe Jeter will rebuild that franchise and make it very competitive in a very short time. 

Or flounder because they tore up the core of a team that was a couple players away from real success and become the Oakland A's that are living off of MLB charity even though the ownership is one of the richest in baseball. 

12 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Or flounder because they tore up the core of a team that was a couple players away from real success and become the Oakland A's that are living off of MLB charity even though the ownership is one of the richest in baseball. 

I could be wrong but I thought both of their championship teams were heavily influenced by free agency. 

13 minutes ago, Blarg said:

I don’t believe that Jeter will allow them to flounder. They will be competitive because their owner knows a little bit about baseball.

Arte’s mistakes as we know them, have been due to over aggressiveness. It’s like running first to third and getting called out in back to back innings only trying to win the game.  But I think he has learned from these mistakes.   

1 minute ago, Calzone said:

I don’t believe that Jeter will allow them to flounder. They will be competitive because their owner knows a little bit about baseball.

The Jeter worship is annoying.  At this point there is absolutely zero concrete reason to believe Jeter has any ability at all to run a team.  He may end up great and the odds are probably about equal that he will be terrible.

Right now we have no idea if he has true strategic influence or if he is a front man "face". . . 

I just don't get the assumption that Jeter is a reason they won't fail.  He may end up being a big reason they do fail.  We will see.

Arte Moreno's acquisition of the Angels is the best thing thats ever happened to the franchise.  Better then the world series.  Better then Trout.  His ownership has fundamentally changed what kind of club the Angels are.  Maybe we aren't the Dodgers but we sure as hell aren't a shitty small market farm team for the big dogs anymore.  If you cant appreciate that distinction you're a malcontent that will never ever be happy.  Guaranteed winning isn't part of the deal when you root for a team.   

Edited by UndertheHalo

12 minutes ago, Calzone said:

Well we’ve consistently had one of the highest payrolls along with both “once in a generational players” and Arte has zero rings.

what makes you think having a smaller payroll would have put us into a better position to have rings ? Theres a difference between trying and failing and just not trying.  

How many times in baseball has an organization successfully executed the Astro's turn around plan (which is what I assume you think is ideal) ?  I think the Royals and Pirates track record is way, way more typical. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

8 minutes ago, Calzone said:

Well we’ve consistently had one of the highest payrolls along with both “once in a generational players” on the same team and Arte has zero rings.

Right.  So a good owner would spend less and get rid of Trout.

And only one team gets a ring every year so I guess every year we have proof that 29 owners are terrible.

I don't fault the Marlins for cutting payroll. They are not a large market team and aren't in a competitive window right now. 

So they're basically rebooting the system. Trade assets to collect prospects and reduce payroll. Then once they've collected a large amount of talent, they'll supplement it with free agent splashes.

The Angels are a mid or large market team, regardless of the owner. Arte spends, but so would another owner (likely). I'm not saying we need to call for a new owner, I'm just saying we don't need to crown him as a saint. 

He's a solid owner.