• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout/Stanton/Arte

Stradling

15 minutes ago, artesmustache said:

The Pujols signing complaints are old. Yes, he's a shell of his former self and we all expected better results, but this signing cemented the enormous TV contract for Arte. It was a shrewd business move. Anyone who says they weren't excited when Pujols signed is not telling the truth. I look forward to the day where the Angels sign a huge free agent star again because it's exciting, it's not my money, and because I'm a fan. I want a reason to go to the games. I want to watch guys like Pujols hit (or at least what I though he'd hit like) when I buy a ticket, not watch a platoon of crappy veterans, or some dude who belongs batting 7th in AA batting 2nd at the Big A.

The old “it’s not my money” but how dare they march out a “platoon of crappy veterans”.

Do you see how one effects the other?

When you miss on a “huge free agent star” you’re stuck finding ways to fill other needs for cheap. Now I’m not saying I was against the Pujols signing I’m just addressing the whole “it’s not my money” phrase I see all the time around here.

So although it’s obviously not our money, we all kind of have an idea what the budget is and would prefer to see the money spend properly moving forward so we don’t have to watch the Raul Ibanez’s or Matt Joyce’s of the world man left field anymore. 

20 minutes ago, artesmustache said:

The Pujols signing complaints are old. Yes, he's a shell of his former self and we all expected better results, but this signing cemented the enormous TV contract for Arte. It was a shrewd business move. Anyone who says they weren't excited when Pujols signed is not telling the truth. I look forward to the day where the Angels sign a huge free agent star again because it's exciting, it's not my money, and because I'm a fan. I want a reason to go to the games. I want to watch guys like Pujols hit (or at least what I though he'd hit like) when I buy a ticket, not watch a platoon of crappy veterans, or some dude who belongs batting 7th in AA batting 2nd at the Big A.

Without Pujols our TV deal wouldn't have been as much. $150M/yr goes a long ways toward the $197M salary threshold. Plus unlike the Dodger's deal we get to watch all the games including spring training even if we don't have Time Warner/Spectrum cable TV.

33 minutes ago, Calzone said:

I seriously doubt we get anywhere near the $197M threshold.

I didn't say we would, but the last I heard we were ~$50M away, at the moment and still have arbitration eligible players to pay, and holes in the IF to fill.

I think we will be close. I guess we will both know, come April at the latest.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:50 AM, Stradling said:

Throughout the season and off season sometimes we let our emotions and our frustrations get the best of us.  Some of the things we hear/read a lot is Arte is cheap or he meddles or he only cares about 3 million fans or he isn’t really interested in winning.  This inevitably ends with the “Arte should sell the team”.  

Right now in Miami we are seeing what a new ownership might do to a team.  They are hellbent on reducing salary and are looking to trade their young MVP, who is marketable, and anyone else that gets paid.  Who’s to say if Arte sold the Angels the new owner wouldn’t take the exact same approach?  

With Arte, you know what you’re going to get.  A high budget team, that’s usually at least in the conversation for some of the bigger names.  We have never seen Arte slash payroll and probably never will.  Arte will never trade Trout to reduce salary, NEVER.  That’s not to say he won’t trade him, but he wouldn’t do it for any other reason than Trout wanting out.  

”I wish Arte would sell the team” should fall firmly in the category of “Be careful what you wish for”.  

Gee where have you heard this before. In regards to getting Stanton. ;)

FD51A16D-3ED9-4427-B330-1C3E87C84F2F.jpeg

On 11/18/2017 at 10:50 AM, artesmustache said:

I wasn't excited.  To be fair I wanted fielder which didn't go to well either.  

7 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I'm trying really hard to figure out what that tweet has to do with Stradling's post.

Step one: have an agenda

Step two: be a troll

Step three: repeat your agenda

Step four: repeat your agenda

Step five: change agenda when you are constantly called out for having agenda

Step six: be a victim when everyone calls you out for having agendas

1 hour ago, AngelStew43 said:

We could still get Stanton, just depends on if management wants to go over the tax.  On several occasions, they have stated that they would have no problem exceeding the tax for the right player.  And Stanton is one of those guys who may be the right player.

The thing is, Stanton wouldn't put us over.

1 hour ago, AngelStew43 said:

We could still get Stanton, just depends on if management wants to go over the tax.  On several occasions, they have stated that they would have no problem exceeding the tax for the right player.  And Stanton is one of those guys who may be the right player.

Upton was our big splash. It’s now up to Eppler to fill the rest of the voids with more cost effective players. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I read somewhere that the Giants are offering Panik, Shaw, and Beede.

Can we beat that?

I assume Gordon is also involved in that hypothetical deal and the Marlins eat a notable chunk of cash. Probably not honestly, but if the Angels were feeling froggy/foolish and felt like offering something surrounding a package of Bridwell/Barria/Canning they'd have their foot firmly in the door.

30 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Agree. Stanton still leaves us with shit at 2B and 3B, and SP possibly. That said, im not sure any move out there (thats been discussed) puts us over...so at least with stanton, you have a core piece for several years. Aside from trout and simmons, i dont think we habe much after that.

As vocal as i was about upton 2 years ago, and as pleased as i am hes here bow, i think in 3 years or so be becomes more of an average player. Nothing wrong with that, but is going to leave us lacking some thunder in the order.

I'm happy with current Arte Moreno.   No more stupid Hackilton contracts or Pop-Up Wells type acquisitions, and he does seem to be letting Eppler be in charge.

Continue to build the farm, and the MLB team through strategic FA signings and trades, and maintain AAV payroll in the top 1/4 to 1/3 in MLB, and that's all anyone can ask for.  

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Without Pujols our TV deal wouldn't have been as much. $150M/yr goes a long ways toward the $197M salary threshold. Plus unlike the Dodger's deal we get to watch all the games including spring training even if we don't have Time Warner/Spectrum cable TV.

LOL that the Dogs are some 3-4 years into their tv contract, and still a lot of SoCal can't watch their games.  :):):)

37 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

He could potentially put us over in 2019 and/or 2020, particularly if the Angels extend Trout and possibly others. If there are no other extensions then we should be okay then too assuming other moves (2B for instance) don't put us over.

However as we have discussed previously it will not impact 2018 at all, we have room now.

26 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I read somewhere that the Giants are offering Panik, Shaw, and Beede.

Can we beat that?

21 minutes ago, KDWells said:

I assume Gordon is also involved in that hypothetical deal and the Marlins eat a notable chunk of cash. Probably not honestly, but if the Angels were feeling froggy/foolish and felt like offering something surrounding a package of Bridwell/Barria/Canning they'd have their foot firmly in the door.

Calhoun is better than Panik IMO.

Kole Calhoun, Chris Rodriguez, and one more mid-tier prospect puts us into that conversation easily in comparison I think.

It's very complex though so I'm not getting my hopes up but we could manage it, if that is truly our goal.

10 minutes ago, ettin said:

He could potentially put us over in 2019 and/or 2020, particularly if the Angels extend Trout and possibly others. If there are no other extensions then we should be okay then too assuming other moves (2B for instance) don't put us over.

However as we have discussed previously it will not impact 2018 at all, we have room now.

Agreed. Stanton (or a move like that) is a long term piece.

Again, i rhink its a huge commitment, and not one maybe we should chase. But it would be nice to aquire long term guys versus the last few years. And there are no stanton's in our system..and any bat like him in FA is going to cost similar.

2 minutes ago, ettin said:

Calhoun is better than Panik IMO.

Kole Calhoun, Chris Rodriguez, and one more mid-tier prospect puts us into that conversation easily in comparison I think.

It's very complex though so I'm not getting my hopes up but we could manage it, if that is truly our goal.

I agree with you on that, there's so many moving parts it is tough to get a gauge on what fair market in a Stanton deal would actually be. I had assumed they would only be looking for young prospects with the full six years of control left so the Panik rumor is a little surprising to me.

42 minutes ago, KDWells said:

I agree with you on that, there's so many moving parts it is tough to get a gauge on what fair market in a Stanton deal would actually be. I had assumed they would only be looking for young prospects with the full six years of control left so the Panik rumor is a little surprising to me.

I think a major issue Miami has to deal with is their new stadium and their fan base's reaction to another massive tear-down.

By acquiring a MLB player back in the deal it not only helps with the trade in terms of dollars it gives them a quality player that can help the team compete, at least to start the year. At the trade deadline they can simply flip someone like Panik or Calhoun in trade and acquire additional prospects or whatever they need.

A mix of MLB replacements and prospects is probably what the Marlins are looking for in any deal. Particularly if they can sell it well to their fan base:

Jeter: "Look we acquired a great player in Kole Calhoun, a former #1 prospect in Kaleb Cowart, and a top prospect in Chris Rodriguez!!!!"

I'm being a little facetious but part of what the Marlins front office needs is a "win" when they deal Stanton, IMHO.