• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where is the interest in Hosmer?

Dtwncbad

• 9 months later...
On 11/6/2017 at 3:39 PM, totdprods said:

Hosmer every year before last:

.277/.335/.428/.763, OPS+ 107

Cron, career:

.262/.307/.449/.756, OPS+ 108

Not worth the $100m++ for the difference in production, even if Hosmer's year last year is his new norm. Not enough track record of that for me to feel comfortable spending that amount of dough.

Hosmer, 2018, $21m guaranteed with $84m at a minimum to go:

.254/.318/.402/.721, OPS + of 98. 1 WAR, 30 2B, 2 3B, 16 HR

Cron, 2018, $2.3m:

.252/.319/.482, OPS + 118, 1.5 WAR. 26 2B, 26 HR

29 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Hosmer, 2018, $21m guaranteed with $84m at a minimum to go:

.254/.318/.402/.721, OPS + of 98. 1 WAR, 30 2B, 2 3B, 16 HR

Cron, 2018, $2.3m:

.252/.319/.482, OPS + 118, 1.5 WAR. 26 2B, 26 HR

Hosmer has been terrible...that contract = yikes

Cron...well, Cron has been very Cron-like this year.  So, um, good for him

1 hour ago, GrittyVeterans said:

It is funny but I'd say Machado is and always has been on a different level than Hosmer as a player

So was Albert Pujols.   

His peak was so great his decline phase was supposed to be better than the average player... Then he declined at a level never seen before for an inner circle HOFer.

Baseball is kind of an A-hole.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

This thread brought to you by the guy that wants the Angels to do what it takes to bring Machado to the Angels.  

I am not embarrassed by wanting to make this team better with the best available player on the market for CASH instead of gutting the farm system.

Hosmer hasn't had the year anyone expected, but I would take him on this team to play 1B everyday in two seconds.

And just be clear on my interest in Machado.  He is still a baby.  He is not at all like 99% of players that hit the free agent market.

Signing Machado would cause ZERO damage to the commitment to the youth movement.

Signing Machado secures a damn good young player that would be at the center of the youth movement.

Yes, I would gladly take Hosmer and Machado. . . .because the team would be a better baseball team and they are not old.

THE ANGELS HAVE THE MONEY.

What should they use the money for, nicer bobbleheads?

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

This thread brought to you by the guy that wants the Angels to do what it takes to bring Machado to the Angels.  

And also what exactly does "do what it takes" involve other than pay a fair market salary for him?

And how much space do they have below the luxury tax again?

What should they use that money for instead, an old free agent?

And let's own my position completely.

I wanted to sign JD Martinez and put him in right field and trade Calhoun.

I again will not apologize for wanting to secure premium players to improve tge team.

There is no question that some free agent contracts don't work out.

But I don't think the Padres are devastated with Hosmer.  He is 28 and he is still very capable of being a strong contributor.

I doubt the Red Sox regret signing Martinez.

The Angels need to have a productive farm syatem.  I dont think you can REALLY be a powerhouse unless your system produces high quality players.

The additional piece is free agency to add the pieces you need.  There is plenty of money in baseball and the Angels are not a poor small market team.

In order to win, I personally expect the team to make some big market team moves and use their resources to secure premium players.

No apologies for wanting this team to NOT choose between developing talent and using free agency.

It's both.

I definitely think the Angels have to consider and check in on Machado this off-season.  They'd be fools not do.  This is a guy that would change the line-up dramatically.  He's not Hosmer.  Hosmer has never been at Machado's level.  That said, I think a SP arm, BP and C are the priorities this season.  Followed by someone to split time with Pujols at 1B.

From all accounts, Machado keeps saying he wants to play somewhere that he’ll be a SS.  That is clearly not here, as we have the best defensive SS of his generation playing here.

Yes, money will be a huge factor, but I’m guessing there’ll at least be one other big market team (Phillies? Yankees?) who will pay him a lot AND allow him to play SS.  The Yankees, if they want, can simply trade the last year of Gregorious to create the space if they want.

Machado will not end up here.

36 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I definitely think the Angels have to consider and check in on Machado this off-season.  They'd be fools not do.  This is a guy that would change the line-up dramatically.  He's not Hosmer.  Hosmer has never been at Machado's level.  That said, I think a SP arm, BP and C are the priorities this season.  Followed by someone to split time with Pujols at 1B.

I think we go out and get a catcher for sure.  I’d love Grandal, but I’d also kick the tires on Realmuto to see what his trade acquisition cost would be.

As for a SP, I agree, we certainly need someone who will provide some innings.  I actually don’t think we really need anyone for the pen.  As for 1B, I’d give JMF or Thaiss a shot at some playing time to see how they pan out.

17 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

From all accounts, Machado keeps saying he wants to play somewhere that he’ll be a SS.  That is clearly not here, as we have the best defensive SS of his generation playing here.

Yes, money will be a huge factor, but I’m guessing there’ll at least be one other big market team (Phillies? Yankees?) who will pay him a lot AND allow him to play SS.  The Yankees, if they want, can simply trade the last year of Gregorious to create the space if they want.

Machado will not end up here.

The only thing missing from your analysis is the very real possibility that Machado simply wants the most number of teams possible bidding against each other to drive his price up.  He has nothing to lose, and everything to gain, by playing shortstop this year and widening his suitors for the free agent process.

1 minute ago, yk9001 said:

hahaha, I forgot about that moron baseball talk that was going on around here 7 years ago.

He is starting at such a high level, his decline with only be to "good" or "very good"......

Yes this ended up incorrect for Pujols specifically but history has shown many all time greats age much better than Pujols did.