• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Where is the interest in Hosmer?

Dtwncbad

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Or just use common sense.

Cron at a 1.1 WAR is quite believable and Hosmer's pattern of WAR, entering his age 29 season, projects him to be a much better player.

Well just going on common sense defeats the purpose of looking at a projection. His war isn't accurate because it is taken over just 50 games. I'm thinking it may have something to do with him being a free agent and not currently on any team's roster. His projection over 150 games is for 2.4 war.

I understand the arguments against Hosmer in the Cron vs. Hosmer.  I guess my position is I would rather secure Hosmer over Cron than secure Moose over Valbuena.

Same question for Moose.  How sure are we he is a big upgrade and is he worth the money.

Comparing that 3B situation (of uncertainty and expense being worth it or not) to landing Hosmer, I am back to the title of the thread.

2 hours ago, Calzone said:

Yep the big market teams will be in the mix for the big fish again. Prices will be rising. 

In a normal year of free agency, I don't think either Hosmer or Mous are considered big fish.  They will both be overpaid in my opinion, and I kinda like both players.  If either gets $100 million then they will be overpaid.  

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

I understand the arguments against Hosmer in the Cron vs. Hosmer.  I guess my position is I would rather secure Hosmer over Cron than secure Moose over Valbuena.

Same question for Moose.  How sure are we he is a big upgrade and is he worth the money.

Comparing that 3B situation (of uncertainty and expense being worth it or not) to landing Hosmer, I am back to the title of the thread.

It will be about risk assessment.  A normal year of Cron versus a normal year of Hosmer, well the difference isn't worth the investment.  Same goes for Moustakis versus Valbuena.  

The outside consensus is that the Royals will try to hang onto Hosmer, so that's going to make it tough to get real value there.  Boston and other organizations are on this one as well.  I can't see a clear path to getting him without overpaying.

Just have Valbuena get reps at least at 1B and DH, and tell him to work on the 3B glove in the off-season in case Cowart's hitting doesn't improve.

Pujols - 135 starts (off 1 game per week), Cron - 110 starts, Valbuena - 79 starts = 324 starts between 1B and DH. 

Focus on adding 2B, 3B, and one mid-range starting pitcher (as insurance with so many starters needing to build up innings counts); and re-sign Petit and Norris.

54 minutes ago, WeatherWonk said:

Santana has been given a QO.

I suspect he might take that, because the Indians still have a decent chance of getting him a WS ring next year.

Yea, this is a possibility.  He can probably get a 3 year $45 million contract out there.  The Indians might even pay that.  

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Just have Valbuena get reps at least at 1B and DH, and tell him to work on the 3B glove in the off-season in case Cowart's hitting doesn't improve.

Pujols - 135 starts (off 1 game per week), Cron - 110 starts, Valbuena - 79 starts = 324 starts between 1B and DH. 

Focus on adding 2B, 3B, and one mid-range starting pitcher (as insurance with so many starters needing to build up innings counts); and re-sign Petit and Norris.

Signing Hosmer, Santana and Nunez makes too much sense. You go with Hosmer and Santana at DH and 1st.

You then use Valbuena and Nunez for 2nd and 3rd.

You then designate Pujols for pinch hitting duties. 

That’s a lineup that could pack a punch. 

Oh wait would Pujols be open to that...

70F79D81-653F-4A5B-88E0-FED20407210E.jpeg

I would have interest, but for me its a matter of priority.  1B isnt high on that list at this time and we likely cant have everything.  
Plus the early rumors are Boras asking for 8 yrs and upwards of 200 M.  
It would be fine as the final piece to try to make a run at Hou, but it would have to follow other moves. 

10 minutes ago, Rico said:

I keep seeing people say Cron is fine.  CRON IS NOT FINE!!!

I fully understand the concept of priorities like this team basically has no second baseman.

But aside from that obvious point, Cron is personally frustrating to me because he represents "fine" the same way a .500 record represents a team that is doing "fine". . .

It is exactly what I dont want.

I dont even dislike him.  He is fine.  I just view him as a first baseman on the Padres or Rays.

He is Ameer Abdullah.  18 carries for 53 yards and 1 catch.  Whippee.

46 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok, so after we solve 2nd base, 3rd base and then solve the pen with either resigning Petit or signing another arm or two, we can worry about replacing Cron.  Hell, I might even try to sign a serviceable starter before I worry about Cron.  

I dont disagree.  Just sharing how I view him.

But I will say this.  Sometimes a GM cannot easily solve one obvious upgrade position  (like 2B) as planned and they still need to keep their eyes open to accomplish improvements where opportunities arise.

I would not be bothered one bit if the Angels found a way to land a fully legit middle of the order hitter first baseman and had to survive with a passable 2B.

As long as the offense gets better I dont really care if it fixing the obvious at 2B or an equal improvement at a position like 1B that is currently "fine."