• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fires

There are at least 100 people missing in northern Calif, and authorities fear some of them couldn't escape their homes in time in the middle of the night as the fire roared through neighborhoods.

Winds weren't too bad today, but they could kick up again tonight and tomorrow.

I've lived in this state for 45 years and cannot recall anything like this.

Edited by fan_since79

my daughter's college has cancelled classes for the rest of the week and has encouraged kids to go home if it's possible. the winds were horrible last night and the fire has started moving from calistoga to st. helena. from there, it's just a few miles up howell mountain to the school, if it goes in that direction.

my wife and i have been debating this morning on what to do, from leaving her there to putting her on a bus or seeing if she could catch a ride with someone down to LA (the school is 450 miles away from us). my daughter is content to stay up there for now and i think my wife will be okay to leave her be for now. i'll find out better when i get home. if my wife's a weepy-eyed mess, then i don't imagine junior will be staying up there the rest of the week.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

my daughter's college has cancelled classes for the rest of the week and has encouraged kids to go home if it's possible. the winds were horrible last night and the fire has started moving from calistoga to st. helena. from there, it's just a few miles up howell mountain to the school, if it goes in that direction.

my wife and i have been debating this morning on what to do, from leaving her there to putting her on a bus or seeing if she could catch a ride with someone down to LA (the school is 450 miles away from us). my daughter is content to stay up there for now and i think my wife will be okay to leave her be for now. i'll find out better when i get home. if my wife's a weepy-eyed mess, then i don't imagine junior will be staying up there the rest of the week.

not sure if this impacts the discussion...but reports are the winds are supposed to kick back up and they are concerned about areas that have been spared so far

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-fires-northern-california-20171011-story.html

I've thrown up the map and it has me hop off Irvine blvd. kind of a wild side street deal from lake forest to Tustin.

today I did 241 to 133 to 5, take that first exit (I forget the name), left all the way down, right on barranca. seemed to be the quicker than the map having me take weird side streets and turning every 200 feet.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

After a stressful day trying to figure out how we could get junior to a safer location, considering all kinds of options both reasonable and slightly less reasonable, I got home. Much to my surprise, there she was sitting in my chair! She found a friend driving home last night and hitched a ride, unbeknownst to us. Got home at 5:30 this morning and stayed with grandma so she could surprise us. She completely succeeded. We are greatly relieved she's safe and that she's here until Sunday, assuming classes actually resume Monday.

next up, a pointed discussion on when to surprise your parents, and when not to.

She wins a daughter award. It's always encouraging to hear stories of millennial children doing something that makes their parents happy.

Couple of things that stood out. First, it was impressive as hell to watch Fire do their thing. Whereas i (and other non firefighters) was wondering where the hell they were sometimes, they knew where to ignore, and where to fight. They seriously made the most of the initial scant resources. The relatively little loss of homes vs what it looked like at ground zero when it was raging is a testament to them knowing their craft.

And the overall teamwork was amazing. On the command level, the mutual aid was outstanding (its not easy getting cops and fire from other cities to drop everything, run to a foreign city, and fit right in).

Havent felt this much pride in a bit. Didnt see one dude hesitate. Obviously as a cop, we know very little about fire, and have nothing to protect us or fight it with. But at least with the guys i was with for the most of it (who almost all barely met that day), everyone was game face. Sprinting down streets that were covered in smoke, roofs and landscapes on fire, kicking in doors where the roof was already burning, etc. 

Sucks to get partners who you know are totally squared away for the bad times, bond with them, and know youre never gonna work with them again, or remember their names a day or two later.

Great video. At about the 2:20 or so mark was where i was late in the afternoon, in Orange. At about the 4:20 or so mark is rhe neighborhood we got the wheelchair guy out. Crazy to see it in this video. When we were there it was totally blanketed in smoke, but once the wind died down a bit i guess it cleared out.

Towards the end with the two heavy tanker helos, i think (not sure) we were behind that (towards where the helos are flying towards) but could be wrong.

Glad i found this vid. Was too busy to be able to film anything. 

@ten ocho recon scout Cool story.  Just some observations.

9 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

So we started with like 5 guys...took awhile to get anyone else, because before it started, we were already tied up doing cop stuff.

Eating donuts is not doing cop stuff.

Get to the u turn, and its chaos. A backroad (rich people with horse property) is bottlenecked because people and horses are all over the street...stopping the main evac route. This is because their neighborhood is on fire. Didnt even have time to get their horses in their trailers, they just ran out of the neighborhood.

No fire guys there, and im alone. Fire finally gets there and yells at me to get rid of the horses. I ask the fire guy if he wants me to shoot them. 

Priority #1 is to save the horses.   Priority #2 is to save the dogs.  Priority #3 is to ignore the cats, because they will use the fire to try and kill you.

Run in to some fire guys i know. Theyre short people on their engine (keep in mind they had to keep their fire houses staffed for the other emergencies non fire related).

First few times I read this, I thought you were making a Nate joke.  Now that I know what you mean, I'm still going to consider it a Nate joke.

9 hours ago, gotbeer said:

@ten ocho recon scout Cool story.  Just some observations.

Eating donuts is not doing cop stuff.

Priority #1 is to save the horses.   Priority #2 is to save the dogs.  Priority #3 is to ignore the cats, because they will use the fire to try and kill you.

First few times I read this, I thought you were making a Nate joke.  Now that I know what you mean, I'm still going to consider it a Nate joke.

Lol!

And it wasnt donuts, they were cronuts.

Talk about hectic, forgot to mention this earlier. About an hour in we were all bitching about why the next shift coming on out with us yet. We had no clue because we went to a different radio channel so outside agencies could talk on the radio with us.

No BS, within that first hour, we had a hostage barricade (tweaker beat his lady and threatened to kill them both), a gas station got robbed at gunpoint, and we had a fatal car crash...

When it rains it pours.