• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Fires

My wife's family lives up in Santa Rosa, as with a lot of friends I grew up with. Family was evacuated in the middle of the night last night. My SIL's house was miraculously spared, with most of the houses all around her burnt down. Seems some private water truck was seen spraying her house and other random homes in the neighborhood, most likely saved it. Amazing since her house wraps around a mature oak tree, somehow it didn't light with the wind whipping the embers in the air. 

Two blocks over, whole neighborhoods are wiped out, shopping centers, hotels, etc. just gone. Senior centers and hospitals evacuated, which is no small feat. I have no idea about what happened to those. Saw some videos of the devastation, it's really heartbreaking to see all these buildings and houses you grew up in and around just gone. Happened so fast too. 

47 minutes ago, mrwicked said:

Devastating.

Even in SF we woke up in the middle of the night and it smelled like a campfire and I had ash on an open window sill, and this AM the sky was black. 

I have friends who have lost their houses, and others are evacuated and don't know yet. One friend's entire winery along with their house is in the path.

So terrible.

my daughter is in school in angwin.

4 hours ago, nate said:

This is insane man.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-northern-california-fires-live-aerial-photo-shows-destroyed-1507593429-htmlstory.html

I can't believe so many deaths from the fires too, usually doesn't happen.  Absolutely awful.

My sister-in-laws house is the next block over from the bottom of that photo. She said there have been houses in her neighborhood looted. Sad all around.

The amount of deaths occurred because it came up so quickly, and in the middle of the night. Everyone knew about the fires out to the east in Calistoga and Napa, but when those powerful winds whipped up, and the fire came over the hills and down into the city, a lot of people were already asleep. 

So I live in Norco and my division for work is South Orange County.  Last night with the toll road being closed and the 5, 57 and 91 all closed I went home through Ortega Highway, which I had never done before.  It took about 3.5 hours to get home.  I came home and slept from about 9:30pm until 11pm.  At 11, I got a call from the manager of the store in the Tustin Marketplace letting me know that while they weren't be evacuated the evacuations had made it to about 1 mile north of the store.  After that I really couldn't sleep, so this morning at 4:30 I headed down to Tustin, avoided much of the traffic at that time.  It seemed as though the area that Anaheim Fire Evacuation Map that was near the store was pretty safe.  I heard that the marine layer helped to decrease the fire spreading.  I also heard they have almost twice as many firemen today than yesterday.  I think the worst is behind us at least in So Cal.

my daughter's college has sent them the plans in case they need to evacuate. we told her to make sure she had a bag packed and ready to go, with decent shoes and a bottle of water just in case, and to make sure her roommate was likewise prepared. the school is okay and the fires are burning away from them but they've had a ton of drift smoke come over them, enough so that school was distributing masks earlier today. we had to spend a good while keeping her focused last night and making sure she had a plan of action, just in case. 

no interruptions to classes today, so that's encouraging.