• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Swept back to .500 reality check

Ohtaniland

The upcoming offseason should be more important to us than this year's 2nd wild card game. Figuring out how to compete with the Houston's & Cleveland's should be priority one rather than worrying about if the Twins are going to roll over and die for us. The Rangers are back in our rear view mirror and closing fast. Let this season go already and let's make some solid acquisitions this offseason. 

Eppler knows what we need and hopefully he can get it done.

IMG_7533.JPG

11 minutes ago, LHalo said:

It's impossible to still play hard in September and still do well in the offseason apparently. 

Just what is it about the Angels September that impresses you so much? 

If the season started in September guess where we would be in the AL West?

Don't guess, let me show you.

Houston 13-5

Oakland  11-8

Texas         9-9

Seattle      8-10

Angels       7-10

4 minutes ago, LHalo said:

I'm not impressed by their September. That has nothing to do with me wanting the team to play hard and win games. It has zero effect on the off-season. 

Well I was kinda referring to calling up more AAA and AA players and let them get their feet wet. The current team isn't going anywhere so why not take a look. 

It doesn't look like they took being in wild card contention very serious this time around. The 2015 team played some very competitive baseball down the stretch but fell one game short.  

36 minutes ago, Calzone said:

It doesn't look like they took being in wild card contention very serious this time around. 

I don't agree with this.  I think the Angels have done everything they can to win, they just aren't that good of a team.

2 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

I don't agree with this.  I think the Angels have done everything they can to win, they just aren't that good of a team.

Pretty much this ^^^

We've had so many injuries this season to the starting pitching, we're going to have our 2nd BP game in lieu of a 5th starter in a row.  Our rotation consists of two guys trying to find their groove due spending most of the season on the DL (Richards, Skaggs), another guy that was so off the radar that a Baltimore team strapped for pitching let him go for nothing (Bridwell), and another guy that shouldn't be in any rotation because he gives up 2 runs just walking to the mound  (Nolasco).  Yet they keep battling...as well they should.  At 2.5 games out, you keep trying to win until you're eliminated.

9 hours ago, Calzone said:

No Strad, it's just been a frustrating season and I'm hoping that Eppler can see clearly and empty the diaper bin.

Also hoping that there will be NO extension of the manager's contract and that under a new manager Pujols will finally be dropped in the batting order and made a part-time player starting in 2019, because this is too much.

Some changes are way overdue.

25 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

They are going through the motions. The team has zero life to it in the middle of a playoff race. That's a horrible sign. I hope Upton doesn't opt out and they just spend all their cash on pitching this offseason. Trade some minor league outfield depth for a legit starting 3b or 2b.

The first two games seemed spirited enough.   But yesterday, it did seem like they were going through the motions.   Day game after night game late in an exhausting season?

At this point, I'm just hoping for a .500 record by the close of the season (1-2 vs Astros, 2-2 vs. ChiSox, 2-1 vs M's).   That's still 7 wins improvement over 2016.

To say they are "going through the motions" is just plain stupid.  They got swept by a team on a historic run.  Forget about what Cleveland did to us, they have only trailed for a handful of innings in this streak.  My guess is minus their one loss they've trailed about ten innings in the last 28 or so games. 

Honestly, it's your own fault if you needed a reality check with this team. I'd say it should be pretty known by now what they are. I've actually quite enjoyed how they've somehow stayed in the race all this time. Granted, the 2nd WC this year is going to go to a team who really isn't any good so that mostly played a role in this but I still didn't think this team would stay at or above .500 for this long with all the injuries they sustained. I don't know how they're doing this with the state of their rotation. Nolasco would have definitely been replaced by now if they had even decent luck regarding pitcher injuries this season

10 hours ago, Calzone said:

It doesn't look like they took being in wild card contention very serious this time around. 

Claude, I can tell you with 100% certainty that all 25 guys on the club want to win every game they play, especially down the stretch here going for the wild card. 

Just because they haven't, doesn't mean they haven't tried. We've run into some good teams here in Sept. That's all it is. 

This team need a couple more pieces and health to be a serious contender. It's not the current crop of players fault. Some adjustments need to be made. 

I can guarantee you that if we had our key guys this season, we'd be sitting where the Yankees or Twins are right now, not chasing. 

35 minutes ago, Stradling said:

To say they are "going through the motions" is just plain stupid.  They got swept by a team on a historic run.  Forget about what Cleveland did to us, they have only trailed for a handful of innings in this streak.  My guess is minus their one loss they've trailed about ten innings in the last 28 or so games. 

You don't go up and have crap at bats, make careless mistakes on defense if you aren't going through the motions. I don't care who they are playing. There is no life in this team. They are in the middle of a playoff race against a young team who is continuing to lose and the best we can do is lose ground? This is a veteran team who should be doing a lot more than fighting for a 2nd wild card. If everything was going as well as you claim they wouldn't be fighting for a 2nd wildcard they would be fighting for the division.

Spare me your B.S. how can you possibly defend this garbage play is a mystery to me. As far as I can tell you are just a troll.

7 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

You don't go up and have crap at bats, make careless mistakes on defense if you aren't going through the motions. I don't care who they are playing. There is no life in this team. They are in the middle of a playoff race against a young team who is continuing to lose and the best we can do is lose ground? This is a veteran team who should be doing a lot more than fighting for a 2nd wild card. If everything was going as well as you claim they wouldn't be fighting for a 2nd wildcard they would be fighting for the division.

Spare me your B.S. how can you possibly defend this garbage play is a mystery to me. As far as I can tell you are just a troll.

Ok bro.  I defend the team, you call me a troll.  These at bats are the exact same at bats these players have had all year without the results.  Cron swings at everything whether it results in a homer or results in a strike out.  Trout sees a ton of pitches whether he's the best player in the world or he's having a subpar month.  I'm not claiming everything is going right, I just think the going through the motion nonsense is code for losing.  

21 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I partially agree with some of the lackadaisical play but they did get hit by some serious injuries. I still think that Eppler hastily went after Maybin, Espinosa and Valbuena. I actually did say that Revere was a better fit than Maybin. Upton is an upgrade but let's be clear, it was a salary dump and we have no idea what Upton is going to do after this season. The team was pretty cash strapped last offseason so they had their limitations. That shouldn't be the case this offseason. They also have a poor farm system that is slowly coming together. As far as Stradling being a troll, that is the furthest from the truth. He's all Angels 24/7.