• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Astros got Verlander

m0nkey

8 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

First thing i thought of. Im not up on prospects like you guys, but seeing people rave about the guys they gave up is good news. Sooner or later, houston is going to get expensive, and success will kill their drafts compared to a few years back. Hoping we time things correctly a la texas did in the late 2000s when we finally had to step back.

Houston's not our competition this year anyway. Their payroll has gone from 29 million to 54 to 82 to 124. You put in Verlander and all of the arbitration raises to guys like Keuchel, Springer, Giles, etc...Their payroll is going to be at least 160 next year and probably around 200 the year after that. They're going to have to start dumping salary at some point. They can't pay everybody.

6 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

Houston's not our competition this year anyway. Their payroll has gone from 29 million to 54 to 82 to 124. You put in Verlander and all of the arbitration raises to guys like Keuchel, Springer, Giles, etc...Their payroll is going to be at least 160 next year and probably around 200 the year after that. They're going to have to start dumping salary at some point. They can't pay everybody.

Thats my hope. (Didnt realize they already had a payroll that high). Soon theyre going to have to start making hard decisions about who to lock up.

4 hours ago, aznhockeyguy said:

So the Astros gave up all that for a year and 1 month of Verlander.  I wouldn't make that trade, but at the same time their risk is a lot lower.  

I wouldnt either...as an angel fan. But from houstons position, it makes sense. They are right there...could totally be the year they win it. 

We talk about the trout window, they have their own

7 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I wouldnt either...as an angel fan. But from houstons position, it makes sense. Theyre are right there...could totally be the year they win it. 

We talk about the trout window, they have their own

I'm not sure what their "window" is.  They have a lot of young players under team control.  I think their window to win a championship is for the next 3 years, longer if they are smart and sign well and of course luck is a part of the equation.  I didn't think they NEEDED to make this move, but they did it to improve for this season and the next season.  Now their rotation looks scary deep now; Kuechel, Verlander, Mchugh, McCullers, Morten.  

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/

3 hours ago, aznhockeyguy said:

I'm not sure what their "window" is.  They have a lot of young players under team control.  I think their window to win a championship is for the next 3 years, longer if they are smart and sign well and of course luck is a part of the equation.  I didn't think they NEEDED to make this move, but they did it to improve for this season and the next season.  Now their rotation looks scary deep now; Kuechel, Verlander, Mchugh, McCullers, Morten.  

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/houston-astros/

Agree that they will be tough for the next dew years, but as far as window, its not much different than where we are with trout. Their payroll going in to next year is vastly more than it was 2-3 years ago....almost by 100 million. Those young guys who are locked up wont be for all that much longer. Looking like theyll be potential FAs when trout is.

Not to mention, during the next year or two, anything can happen. They underperform, someone gets hurt, us/texas move up a notch competition wise, etc. Its not a bad move for them, IMO. Fletcher mentioned it a week or two ago, you pull the trigger on big name guys to put you over the top. This could definefely do that for them.

As an Angel fan, I like this move.  Astros add 20MM payroll for a pitcher whos on the way down, hidden by a recent hot streak.

This reminds me of the Scott Kazmir trade we did, where Verlander might very well perform good down the stretch, bomb in the playoffs and push down their offseason spending capability for the next couple seasons.

• 4 weeks later...