• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Astros got Verlander

m0nkey

49 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

whoa!  nevermind.  that's a lot.  Detroit can keep Verlander for that price.  ie if we had to give up equivalent to get him it would be Hermosillo, Barria and Marsh

Two of the 3 guys were top 100 prospects coming into this year, and the other is a 3rd round pick from last year who's having a good season.  Hermosillo, Barria, and Marsh don't even come close to that.

3 minutes ago, rottiesworld said:

So what if they Get Pus boy, that's only about 4 starts for him and if they are lucky only 4 win's, but a lot of salary to take. The Angels get 2 player's that play everyday and have a chance Tto win a lot more than 4 games. I hope Houston keeps losing and the Angels pass them.

The Angels are 11 games behind Houston, with only 28 to go.  If the Angels go 20-8 in that time frame, Houston would still only need to win 10 games.

No guys, Heyman has it wrong.  WiessD has the straight scoop.  

https://twitter.com/WiessD/status/903468476983001088

P.S. How in the hell do you embed tweets?  I have looked for ten minutes and cannot find a help page on this site, nor does the FAQ forum seem to have an entry.  I'm sure I'm missing it.

10 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Good move for houston. Good move for detroit. 

I didnt want verlander, but at the same time bummed to see houston get him.

It wasn't a smart move for the Angels even before this got posted. I'm 100% perfectly happy with not acquiring him, particularly for the price we would have had to cough up to match the Astros deal.

31 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Two of the 3 guys were top 100 prospects coming into this year, and the other is a 3rd round pick from last year who's having a good season.  Hermosillo, Barria, and Marsh don't even come close to that.

It's closer than you think.  GM's don't give two shits about where baseball america ranks their prospects or anyone elses.  It's basically a 55 and two 50 grade prospects.  Probably closer to Jones, Marsh and Barria.

Only one was top 100 coming into the year.  Perez.  Upside isn't all that great, but he's probably a better than Barria but not by a huge amount.  

Cameron was a top 100 last year but is doing very well in A ball.   Jones is younger, and doing as well at a higher level.   Off sets the difference between Perez and Barria.  

Rogers is having an unexpectedly nice year with the bat at a 22yo in high A.  Equivalent value to Marsh or Thaiss.  He's better than Ward, but not by much.  

At the end of the day, for them to give up 3 of their top 10 for Verlander is crazy in my opinion.  It reeks of desperation from not doing anything in july and trying to make it up to the players and fans.  

It's true they're in a different spot as they're getting ready for the playoffs with the division essentially in the bag barring a historical collapse.  So I guess they did what they had to.  

If we did that, I'd be pissed.  

1 minute ago, krAbs said:

hahaha have fun with an over the hill 30 million dollar/year pitcher who is posting an ERA of 3.82 this year. They only gave up three top prospects for the pleasure of that contract. I am VERY glad angels were not involved here.

For once, you and I agree on something.  Verlander is still pretty good and is better than most of our pitchers, but he's on the decline and is owed a ton of money for the next two years. 

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

As an aside, the package they gave up probably nets them a much better player in the off season.  So while they got Verlander, it decreases their org currency to be more competitive for 2018.  

First thing i thought of. Im not up on prospects like you guys, but seeing people rave about the guys they gave up is good news. Sooner or later, houston is going to get expensive, and success will kill their drafts compared to a few years back. Hoping we time things correctly a la texas did in the late 2000s when we finally had to step back.

7 minutes ago, krAbs said:

hahaha have fun with an over the hill 30 million dollar/year pitcher who is posting an ERA of 3.82 this year. They only gave up three top prospects for the pleasure of that contract. I am VERY glad angels were not involved here.

if he leads them to a world series championship, then they're not going to give two shits about anything else. that is the only reason they acquired him. it's called an all in move. the angels gave you more of a pot committed look today.