• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout's August numbers (Final Game of August 2017 tonight vs. Oakland)

.284/.452/.457 slash line in 115 plate appearances this August entering tonight's game against the Athletics. Final game of the month of August this year.

I don't remember if it's true or not but I think Trout's worst month in his career is August. Nope, I was wrong. August's is Trout's second worst month of his career. In 159 games in August, he has a slash line .288/.409/.529, still superstar numbers. He has had years where he was still great in August: 2013 (.337/.500/.590 in 110 plate appearances) and 2016 (.349/.486/.651 in 107 plate appearances). However, he has had years in which he struggled in August: 2012 (.284/.355/.500 in 134 plate appearances), 2014 (.254/.318/.492 in 132 plate appearances), and 2015 (.218/.352/.337 in 122 plate appearances).

I do think that a big August will make Trout's MVP case more compelling since he missed almost 2 months due to injuries, so he lost about close to 200 plate appearances. The total amount of plate appearances do matter. So if he keeps on putting up numbers for the rest of the month and get his PA's up more, it would make his counting numbers look way better. If his season ended after today, he probably won't even finish in the top-3 in the AL MVP race even though when he has been out there playing, he's way better than anybody, going by OPS+.

30 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

In Aug. 2015 he hit .218/.352/.337/.689,  but if you remember it was right after he rolled over his wrist on a diving catch. He and the Angels slumped the entire month of August and lost the a place in the playoffs by 1 game and were still playing a meaningful game on the last day of the season.

And fast forward 2 years later and both Trout and the Angels have both played great baseball in August up to this point. And thanks to their great play so far in August, they now are in the second WC spot in the standings. 

3 hours ago, JustATroutFan said:

And fast forward 2 years later and both Trout and the Angels have both played great baseball in August up to this point. And thanks to their great play so far in August, they now are in the second WC spot in the standings. 

I think it's the pitching more than the hitting. We still have one of the worst offenses in baseball if you look at the numbers, but our runs allowed are among the best of the wild card hopefuls.

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

I think it's the pitching more than the hitting. We still have one of the worst offenses in baseball if you look at the numbers, but our runs allowed are among the best of the wild card hopefuls.

You're right when it comes to the offense this month. They have a .246/.319/.399 slash line as a team in August. Pujols' slash line this month does kind of messes it up but even if you take away Pujols, it is still not a good overall slash line. It will go up after scoring a lot of runs on homers tonight. 

Found a Trout stat that I personally find to be amazing.  Last year he only hit into 5 DPs with 103 opportunities.

For a reference, Pujols hits into 17-18% for his career.

Also made me think about Pujols owning one of those "never to be broken records."  If he continues to play 4 more years at his current pace, he will own the record for most DPs in a career by nearly a 100.  Never to be broken....

22 minutes ago, thebloob said:

Found a Trout stat that I personally find to be amazing.  Last year he only hit into 5 DPs with 103 opportunities.

For a reference, Pujols hits into 17-18% for his career.

Also made me think about Pujols owning one of those "never to be broken records."  If he continues to play 4 more years at his current pace, he will own the record for most DPs in a career by nearly a 100.  Never to be broken....

I used to think that Pujols could do no wrong at the plate until l found out that he hit into a lot of double plays. Oh well......