• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

I only missed Lajoie (in my mind since not responding here).

He and Cobb had one of the fiercest batting title fights ever in 1910, which at the time awarded the winner with a new Chalmers car.   Supposedly, official scorers gave Lajoie a few extra hits at the end of the season because they all hated Cobb.

Just as well the train was late, or else Cobb would have started a fight with all of them anyway.

Excellent! We've got them all now!

HOF_Weekend_1939_group_4468.89__NBL_1_t6

Front row (left to right): Eddie Collins, Babe Ruth, Connie Mack, Cy Young

Top row (L to R): Honus Wagner, Grover Alexander, Tris Speaker, Nap Lajoie, George Sisler, Walter Johnson

Incredible to have so many legendary players in one photo.

I cheated and looked it up.   Very good question, because something is not as it seems in the photo regarding the position played that day.

He was the catcher for the Los Angeles Sunrise team, and 16 years old at the time. Berra was only 17 and would be signed by the Yankees the following year.

I won't answer it because I looked it up, but that last clue should help a lot.

One more, just to nail it down:

As a manager, he brought in a left-handed pitcher in a critical post-season situation, and the pitcher plunked the batter with his first pitch. Then he brought in a right-hander, and all hell broke loose.

Chico-Ruiz-Steals-Home.jpg

This steal of home in a scoreless game in September, 1964 was the decisive play in a game that started a streak of ten straight losses for the Philadelphia Phillies, which cost them the NL pennant.

Frank Robinson is the batter. Who is the runner? He was a rookie utility infielder for the Reds.

Chico-Ruiz-Steals-Home.jpg

This steal of home in a scoreless game in September, 1964 was the decisive play in a game that started a streak of ten straight losses for the Philadelphia Phillies, which cost them the NL pennant.

Frank Robinson is the batter. Who is the runner? He was a rookie utility infielder for the Reds.

I've been a bit of a 1960s historian around friends.

This one, for me anyway, is easy.

Eventually became a Halos player in the late 60s (iirc).

Chico Ruiz

Taking a break from answering these, if all are alright with that.

Want to give others a chance. 

Here's one also using the photo.    Who was the Phillies catcher?