• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Current # of players on DL by team

It seems like this season we have horrible luck so I thought I'd see where we are in terms of players on DL (and pitchers in particular) compared to other teams. It appears Southern California is injury prone for some reason. And we are indeed the champs in # of pitchers on the DL. First column is total on DL and 2nd is pitchers. 

DL Pitchers on DL
Arizona Diamondbacks 7 4
Atlanta Braves 5 4
Baltimore Orioles 3 0
Boston Red Sox 9 7
Chicago Cubs 1 1
Chicago White Sox 7 4
Cincinnati Reds 6 6
Cleveland Indians 5 2
Colorado Rockies 3 3
Detroit Tigers 1 1
Houston Astros 5 3
Kansas City Royals 3 1
Los Angeles Angels 9 8
Los Angeles Dodgers 11 6
Miami Marlins 4 3
Milwaukee Brewers 3 2
Minnesota Twins 6 5
New York Mets 10 6
New York Yankees 6 1
Oakland Athletics 8 6
Philadelphia Phillies 3 2
Pittsburgh Pirates 1 0
San Diego Padres 12 7
San Francisco Giants 6 3
Seattle Mariners 7 6
St. Louis Cardinals 2 1
Tampa Bay Rays 9 6
Texas Rangers 6 4
Toronto Blue Jays 11 5
Washington Nationals 8 3

27 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

The angels have to be doing something wrong somewhere.....a coach, a trainer?  This happens sometimes, but not for 2 straight seasons.

I dont get why no one has been fired yet after going through this for the 2nd straight year.  HOLD SOMEONE ACCOUNTABLE!

Maybe it's just luck of the draw and no one is accountable?

28 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

The angels have to be doing something wrong somewhere.....a coach, a trainer?  This happens sometimes, but not for 2 straight seasons.

I dont get why no one has been fired yet after going through this for the 2nd straight year.  HOLD SOMEONE ACCOUNTABLE!

You know ive been thinking he same thing... there has to be some underlying reason why we have so many arms on the shelf.  Bad training, bad fitness, bad usage, bad scouting, something...   its uncanny how almost every damn guy we have ends up on the DL. 
It simply makes no sense. 

15 minutes ago, nando714 said:

Dodgers had a ton of players on the DL last year and still made it to the NLCS

stop with the excuses already

its easy when you have a great farm and endless money.  we have a crap farm and a front office scared to death of another bad deal... bad combination 

31 minutes ago, Curse of the Wonderdog said:

Thanks for sorting the columns, I really appreciate that.

DL Pitchers on DL
San Diego Padres 12 7
Los Angeles Dodgers 11 6
Toronto Blue Jays 11 5
New York Mets 10 6
Boston Red Sox 9 7
Los Angeles Angels 9 8
Tampa Bay Rays 9 6
Oakland Athletics 8 6
Washington Nationals 8 3
Arizona Diamondbacks 7 4
Chicago White Sox 7 4
Seattle Mariners 7 6
Cincinnati Reds 6 6
Minnesota Twins 6 5
New York Yankees 6 1
San Francisco Giants 6 3
Texas Rangers 6 4
Atlanta Braves 5 4
Cleveland Indians 5 2
Houston Astros 5 3
Miami Marlins 4 3
Baltimore Orioles 3 0
Colorado Rockies 3 3
Kansas City Royals 3 1
Milwaukee Brewers 3 2
Philadelphia Phillies 3 2
St. Louis Cardinals 2 1
Chicago Cubs 1 1
Detroit Tigers 1 1
Pittsburgh Pirates 1 0

It's because we're in bad shape as far as organizational depth.  So we take chances on risky players in order to try and fast track the development of our pool of worthwhile players. Meyer was plainly a roll of the dice as far as health risk.  So was Skaggs when we got him etc.  we've had a bunch of the these types.  I joke and say it's the "baseball gods" but it's nothing mysterious.  The organization has got itself into pretty bad shape and the consequences of that manifest in all kinds of ways. Including injuries. 

It doesn't have anything to do with having bad trainers or whatever nonsense. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

25 minutes ago, floplag said:

You know ive been thinking he same thing... there has to be some underlying reason why we have so many arms on the shelf.  Bad training, bad fitness, bad usage, bad scouting, something...   its uncanny how almost every damn guy we have ends up on the DL. 

I had the same thought but when you look at the list more than half of the teams are in the 4-8 range. I doubt our pitching coaches are doing anything different than others. 

The Angels are converting relievers into starters and using retreads that failed to progress in other systems and people wonder why so many are on the DL?

Street decided to take early retirement the CJ Wilson way, he's on the list. Richards and Skaggs fall over in light breezes. Meyer never was reliable since drafted, Bailey in the same leaky boat. These are not unlikely cadidates to clog up the DL.

With luck Shoemaker returns healthy and able to bulldog his way through the rest of the season. The rest of them, probably not.

23 minutes ago, Torridd said:

I had the same thought but when you look at the list more than half of the teams are in the 4-8 range. I doubt our pitching coaches are doing anything different than others. 

perhaps not but it seems much more prevalent at the top of the rotation.  Perhaps thats wrong, its just a casual observation not based on fact. 

1 hour ago, Angels#1Fan said:

Maybe it's just luck of the draw and no one is accountable?

Ask them to explain the previous ten years where the Angels avoided major arm issues....   Basically they'd be questioning many of the same people that were around then, except for the MLB pitching coach who pretty much everyone wanted to hold accountable and was..

But yeah -- let's blame someone for bad luck because "accountability" while also ignoring the previous ten year run of tremendously good luck...

2 hours ago, floplag said:

I know I have speculated this before and been shot down, but as an organization we had virtually zero pitching depth and so we have had to try and pluck guys up from other organizations. It seems likely to me that other teams have been willing to give up guys because they weren't confident in their ability to stay healthy.

Skaggs, Heaney, Tropiano, Meyer, all guys other organizations sold low on, and we targeted for their upside.

It seems to me that if we want decent starting pitching we are going to have to draft and develop it ourselves.

3 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

Fire just for the sake of it!

5 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I know I have speculated this before and been shot down, but as an organization we had virtually zero pitching depth and so we have had to try and pluck guys up from other organizations. It seems likely to me that other teams have been willing to give up guys because they weren't confident in their ability to stay healthy.

Skaggs, Heaney, Tropiano, Meyer, all guys other organizations sold low on, and we targeted for their upside.

It seems to me that if we want decent starting pitching we are going to have to draft and develop it ourselves.

Lets fire Eppler two years at the helm and look at all the injuries.

3 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

I read this and though "Hey AO posted again!" :D