• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: Might be time for Scioscia to leave

It was time for Scioscia to leave the minute he gave that ridiculous interview following the Hatcher firing.

He looked like a damn wet hen. White knucklin and eyes rolling. 

How do you repay the owner who gave you an unprecedented 10 year contract? You try to undermine his new choice as GM, that's how.

Instead of being a pro and supporting the necessary move, he acted like a petulant, pouting child that just got scolded. He should have been gone then.

It's an opinion.

We've had no shortage of snide, snippy posts of absolutely no value from you for years. You are likely the most unpleasant person I've ever encountered on this board or any other.

I bet you are much more likeable in real life. Otherwise you would be taking a weekly beating.

And, yes, that blame does lie on the players. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any motivation from above, and that is also part of the problem.

There doesn't seem to be any accountability for playing badly.

Look at the stats..... Those aren't Scioscia's fault. Players will be motivated if they want to.

Maybe this team does need a shake up but I dont see it happening this yr. Only Because There is noone out there I would want right now. maybe in offseason.

As for the base stealing, I specifically remember hearing pbo say he has the green light but couldn't get the timing off pitchers. As for Trout, who the hell knows whats wrong with him lately.I dont think its a green light.

Arte personally intervened with Pujols.

I had suspected that Moreno was behind Hamilton, as well.

Moreno's personal involvement in the Pujols deal was pretty well known. I hadn't heard this about the Hamilton signing, but because of the similar circumstances I suspected the same thing.

This is what happens when owners try to play GM. I give Moreno an A for effort and a D (at best) for execution. You don't sign players who are already in their 30s to long term deals, especially when said deals are well into eight figures per season.

There does not seem to be any leadership from the top. There isn't any accountability for ****ing up. There have been some, shall we say, questionable managerial decisions. Players just seem to go through the motions (of course, losing will do that).

Whatever Scioscia's message is, or was, may no longer be getting through, and may no longer be relevant to the construction of the team. This necessitates a change.

If you want to call Scioscia a scapegoat, fine, he's a scapegoat. He would not be the first one, and will not be the last.

How long does he get a pass because his team won a World Series eleven years ago?

Scioscia is the FACE of our Angels.

He is the one to motivate our players and gain cohension.

He is the one ultimately responsible for pitching and hitting (thru his staff).

So he cannot manage either.

If you were a struggling pitcher or hitter looking to the dugout, what would you see first?

Scioscia's dour FACE glaring at you without expression.

This is what opposing teams see and that motivates them to turn the screws even tighter because they have a killer instinct brought to       them in part my their coaches.

It is downright sad to look at him....................

Scioscias tenure in Anaheim should be coming to an abrupt end. I agree the roster doesn't match his managerial style.Veterans like Pujols, Hamilton and Wilson didn't just forget how to play baseball once they arrived in Anaheim. The coaching staff is incapable of guiding these players and recognizing the adjustments that need to be made. Makes you ask the question if Roenicke, Black and Maddon were the real brains behind this operation. A new voice and managerial style are needed to inject some life and a new found enthusiasm for this squad.  Scioscia may very well move on and be successful somewhere else, but this team will not respond to his voice and approach anymore. A little fire and excitement has been long overdue for this team. 

Here's the latest inane opinion (since it doesn't absolve Scioscia of responsibility).  Rosenthal has it about right.  This team is 11-20, losing nearly every series, and battling with Houston for last place.  Its a ponderous team centered around a couple multi-millionaires, both struggling to hit their weight.  Scioscia maintains his calm demeanor (at least publically) and his players appear content, as calm as their manager.   Scioscia is responsible for the performance of the team.  Performance has been bad during and since ST and not getting any better.  Scioscia needs to go (with Butcher).  And Arte needs to dump his famous all star model as a free agent hiring strategy.

While I've wanted the guy gone for a few years now, I have no doubt that he will comeback and be an excellent manager elsewhere. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he takes a year off, does the ESPN thing, gets the hunger (no buffet jokes here) back and wins another World Series elsewhere. It's just not going to happen here.

For contrast I watched our opponents this afternoon. While I realize that not all people who are not outwardly demonstrative lack competitive spirit, the two dugouts were night and day. The Baltimore dugout was into the game, the manager was engaged and the players were encouraging each other. The Angels dugout looked like they were on a day trip for a picnic. The manager staring blankly at the field, players sitting back on the bench as if they couldn't care less what was going on in the game.

Attitude means a lot. When Buck Showalter took over in Baltimore the team responded immediately, and they show no signs of backing off. There have been no massive roster changes or spending sprees, yet his teams compete day in and day out. The Angels, not exactly.

While the players and Dipoto are also to blame for yet another miserable start, Scioscia's game management is terrible and his voice is no longer heard in that clubhouse.

He needs to go. This team needs a players coach. Someone equipped with an advanced feel for coaching and statistical analysis (like Joe Maddon) in this modern age.

I've heard that some players on the team don't like Mike and his passive aggressive approach. I used to brush off stories I'd hear about former and current players re: Scioscia. Not anymore.

Scioscia continues to do less with much more. That's a telling sign that he's done and his players don't respond to him anymore. He went from a great leader of Angels teams to a constipated face of mediocrity the past four years.

This team has totally taken Sosh's identity. The players seem like "eh, my average will come around." Remember Pujols' comment? "Ask me about my numbers again in October." He doesn't care that he isn't performing now. He seems to be taking the approach that eventually his offense will come around. Apparently magically. A majority of the team has taken on this exact identity. Blanton had a similar comment after one of his recent outings.

Who has that spring training stat that shows the team that finished last in ST never finished above .500? I think ESPN had it. I bet a bunch of us just pushed that stat to the side saying "that won't happen to us," much like the attitude of this team since reporting to camp.

Erstad has ZERO chance of managing this ballclub. I wouldn't mind a manager with no previous MLB experience like Ryne Sandberg (Unlikely as he will take over in Philly next season), Joey Cora or even the likes of Sandy Alomar Jr or Tony Pena Sr. (Former catchers seem to make good Managers), but I think an experienced manager is more ideal with this veteran roster. I personally wouldn't mind Ozzie Guillen. He brings the fire and passion (whether right or wrong) that could kickstart this team and will hold players accountable. He has experience, a.513 career win %, and a World Series title to go along with it. Regardless of who, a new voice is needed to guide this roster to its potential.

Unfortunately for this year, the organization will not fire Sosh (if at all) until much later in the year. At which point they would just assign an interim manager and wait to appoint one next season. You will likely see guys like Vargas, Burnett (if he hasn't thrown his last pitch of the season already), and Hanson dealt to pennant contending teams at the deadline to help replenish the bare cabinets in the minors (albeit not nearly enough).

This team is screwed until it has a manager with a new direction. Otherwise, expect each season to begin on hopes and wishes.

So was Trevor Bell right about the big catorce?

Bell, Napoli, Guillen, Rodney, I'm sure some others I've forgotten.  In isolation their comments could be dismissed as sour grapes but when everyone is saying basically the same thing, I'd say there's something to it. 

One of the questions that has to be asked is whether or not the team has stopped listening to Sosh.

If the answer is no, then you try to figure out what the problem is. If the answer is yes, then it's time to cut him loose.