• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rosenthal: Might be time for Scioscia to leave

Brad Ausmus, Sandy Alomar Jr, Dave Martinez would all be good picks.

I'll bite.  

Other than being JD's beer buddy, what has Brad Ausmus done ANYWHERE to make one believe he would be good manager?  Losing in the qualifying round of the WBC to Spain didn't really do much to make me believe he's a future manager.

Supposedly he's a great advance scout at the MLB level.  Other than that, and his reputation as a great defensive catcher, I'd love to hear what makes him a good pick.

BTW, whoever the hell DOES manage this team next -- can they please spend whatever it takes to hire Chili Davis?   Been begging for that to happen since Davis hung up his cleats.   A's did it and BOOM...  

The players are very motivated to win ... doesn't mean you will. That's a cop out comment and over used when teams lose. These guys are battling hard IMO. Everyone here already knew pitching was going to be a problem but were crossing their fingers.

Exactly who do you think is not motivated? I can't name one player.

I'll bite.  

Other than being JD's beer buddy, what has Brad Ausmus done ANYWHERE to make one believe he would be good manager?  Losing in the qualifying round of the WBC to Spain didn't really do much to make me believe he's a future manager.

Supposedly he's a great advance scout at the MLB level.  Other than that, and his reputation as a great defensive catcher, I'd love to hear what makes him a good pick.

BTW, whoever the hell DOES manage this team next -- can they please spend whatever it takes to hire Chili Davis?   Been begging for that to happen since Davis hung up his cleats.   A's did it and BOOM...  

Yep. Count me in for Chili Davis too. He was the most intense player I've watched play for the Halos since 1979. He's also extremely smart and has an advanced feel for the modern day game. 

Zero heart. And realistically. Conger, Trout and Weaver are the only one I see showing any emotion out there.

Trumbo too. Kendrick, albeit quite, he does as well. He like Trumbo just aren't vocal guy leaders. 

Scioscia is the FACE of our Angels.

He is the one to motivate our players and gain cohension.

He is the one ultimately responsible for pitching and hitting (thru his staff).

So he cannot manage either.

If you were a struggling pitcher or hitter looking to the dugout, what would you see first?

Scioscia's dour FACE glaring at you without expression.

This is what opposing teams see and that motivates them to turn the screws even tighter because they have a killer instinct brought to them in part my their coaches.

It is downright sad to look at him....................

Haha, I don't know why his stoic look bothers you so much. You don't have to have a tantrum like children on this board do all the time. It works for coaches like Belichick who have successful teams. You have no idea what drama goes on behind the scenes. There is no reason to bring it onto the field for all to see.

Erstad has ZERO chance of managing this ballclub. I wouldn't mind a manager with no previous MLB experience like Ryne Sandberg (Unlikely as he will take over in Philly next season), Joey Cora or even the likes of Sandy Alomar Jr or Tony Pena Sr. (Former catchers seem to make good Managers), but I think an experienced manager is more ideal with this veteran roster. I personally wouldn't mind Ozzie Guillen. He brings the fire and passion (whether right or wrong) that could kickstart this team and will hold players accountable. He has experience, a.513 career win %, and a World Series title to go along with it. Regardless of who, a new voice is needed to guide this roster to its potential.

Stopped reading when you advocated Ozzie Guillen.

Bell, Napoli, Guillen, Rodney, I'm sure some others I've forgotten.  In isolation their comments could be dismissed as sour grapes but when everyone is saying basically the same thing, I'd say there's something to it. 

Wo, wo, wo...a handful of jokers who didn't get the playing time they wanted complain and you consider that ample evidence? And what say you to the silence emanating from the dozens of others who only praised him, even when they didnt get the playing time they wanted, players like Abreu or Wells? Yeah, sounds like a mountain of evidence.

There does not seem to be any leadership from the top. There isn't any accountability for ****ing up. There have been some, shall we say, questionable managerial decisions. Players just seem to go through the motions (of course, losing will do that).

Whatever Scioscia's message is, or was, may no longer be getting through, and may no longer be relevant to the construction of the team. This necessitates a change.

If you want to call Scioscia a scapegoat, fine, he's a scapegoat. He would not be the first one, and will not be the last.

How long does he get a pass because his team won a World Series eleven years ago?

The only way I see to punish a player who effsup is to bench him. Scioscia doesn't have a bench. Next idea?

Stopped reading when you advocated Ozzie Guillen.

Yeah, we definitely don't want a manager who won a World Series. That would suck. However, you got to admit, the post game interview would be much better than "tip the cap" and "turn the page".

While the players and Dipoto are also to blame for yet another miserable start, Scioscia's game management is terrible and his voice is no longer heard in that clubhouse.

He needs to go. This team needs a players coach. Someone equipped with an advanced feel for coaching and statistical analysis (like Joe Maddon) in this modern age.

I've heard that some players on the team don't like Mike and his passive aggressive approach. I used to brush off stories I'd hear about former and current players re: Scioscia. Not anymore.

Scioscia continues to do less with much more. That's a telling sign that he's done and his players don't respond to him anymore. He went from a great leader of Angels teams to a constipated face of mediocrity the past four years.

I just don't see it. Help me to understand who replaces him? You can't just get all steamed and junk you POS car before thinking of another way to get to work. Let's take your points one by one:

Game management - so you are blaming Scioscia for an inability to make lemonade from lemons? Sure, some of his decisions have been wacky this season, but he doesn't have a lot of alternative when dealing with pitching or offense. There's no bench to speak of and Frieri is the lone healthy and reliable arm out of the bp.

His voice is not heard in the clubhouse - I think we need a player to fill Hunters shoes. The big guy can talk until he's blue in the face and it will never be the same coming from a peer. I'm also curious how you know his voice is being ignored. One indication that he's feared and listened to is the silence coming from players. Not one has spoken out of turn publicly. This is important.

Joe Maddon - ah, yes, the successful former coach argument. How are the Padres, Brewers, and Rays all doing this season? If they were the reason for scioscias ability to do less with more, then why can't they do more with less as the managers of those low payroll teams?

As for the former players who whined, there's a far greater number who have either praised Scioscia or made no disparaging remarks, whatsoever.

And finally, what would you have him do, as others have asked, to "punish" a player for screwing up? He can't bench anyone with the myriad injuries and suckage that permeate the system. There's literally nothing he can do.

I remember the same complaint about Santana when he was here. How's the season going for him? LMAO.

Santana has a 2 ERA in 5 starts this season for Kansas City. Not so funny. 

As for Scioscia my position has been the same since the offseason. No playoffs means he should be dismissed. Tank's comment makes a lot of sense, if the players have tuned out Scioscia you have to get rid of him. And as for players and emotion, Vargas is intense on the mound and he is pitching well recently. I don't expect every player to be emotional but I do wonder if this team is playing at the right intensity. 

Honestly, that article reads as much about Scioscia not needing to deal with the BS as it does the team needing to replace him.

The funny part.  Everyone knows if MS had been asked if he wanted more offense or better pitching he would have opted for more pitching in each of the last two years..

Look at this team...   Go ahead and argue MS was wrong.

you are right.  Weaver, Grienke, Wilson, Haren and Santana were horrible pitchers...poor Mike Sciscia.  Had a bunch of scrubs.

Santana has a 2 ERA in 5 starts this season for Kansas City. Not so funny. 

As for Scioscia my position has been the same since the offseason. No playoffs means he should be dismissed. Tank's comment makes a lot of sense, if the players have tuned out Scioscia you have to get rid of him. And as for players and emotion, Vargas is intense on the mound and he is pitching well recently. I don't expect every player to be emotional but I do wonder if this team is playing at the right intensity. 

Hell, I think it's damn funny. The idea that you can't be a winner without flipping out every once in a while? Point made.

Yeah, we definitely don't want a manager who won a World Series. That would suck. However, you got to admit, the post game interview would be much better than "tip the cap" and "turn the page".

If Jose Mota interviewed him, we might not understand any of it.