• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dogs

Don

Is there an official dogs thread yet? I feel like there was, but maybe it was on an older version of the board. I'm hoping this can be a thread for random dog related posts, tips, info, etc...

I've currently got a 1 year old Border Collie/Australian Shepherd mix. Awesome dog in many respects. Super intelligent, very friendly. I have three issues though... First, he's a terrible puller when walking on a leash. Second, he jumps on people, though usually only in the house (not in public). Third, he has a tendency to bite. Not in a hard or aggressive way, just kind of grabbing on to someone's hand to try to "herd" them (more accurately to guide them to the toys he'd like to play with). Any tips on how to deal with those things would be appreciated.

1 minute ago, Don said:

Is there an official dogs thread yet? I feel like there was, but maybe it was on an older version of the board. I'm hoping this can be a thread for random dog related posts, tips, info, etc...

I've currently got a 1 year old Border Collie/Australian Shepherd mix. Awesome dog in many respects. Super intelligent, very friendly. I have three issues though... First, he's a terrible puller when walking on a leash. Second, he jumps on people, though usually only in the house (not in public). Third, he has a tendency to bite. Not in a hard or aggressive way, just kind of grabbing on to someone's hand to try to "herd" them (more accurately to guide them to the toys he'd like to play with). Any tips on how to deal with those things would be appreciated.

Lots and lots of hands on training and exercise. Unfortunately many people aren't prepared to deal with a high energy dog

Congrats. Border Collies are great dogs. Hire a trainer. Well worth the money, and your breed is one of the smarter ones, so they are good learners.

We lost a dog last year because it got off the leash and ran into traffic, and got hit by a car. She had not been properly trained. Never again. We hired one and the new pup is so well behaved. Worth every penny 

1 hour ago, NJHalo said:

Congrats. Border Collies are great dogs. Hire a trainer. Well worth the money, and your breed is one of the smarter ones, so they are good learners.

We lost a dog last year because it got off the leash and ran into traffic, and got hit by a car. She had not been properly trained. Never again. We hired one and the new pup is so well behaved. Worth every penny 

Oddly he's super well-behaved when off the leash. I've walked him like that a few times when it was super late and snowy. In that case, he stays super close and listens very well.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Lots and lots of hands on training and exercise. Unfortunately many people aren't prepared to deal with a high energy dog

I knew going in that it would take a lot of effort. We spend a lot of time outside walking/playing every day, and we usually spend a good amount of time at the dog park on the weekends. I'm sure he'd still like to do more, but I'm pretty serious about making sure his exercise needs are met. That said, getting a professional trainer for a couple of sessions would probably be beneficial in correcting some of his less desirable behaviors.

dogs are the best. i miss my little dude. rescued him underneath a car as a stray, so he has his issues (over protective in the home, random or unpredictable aggression towards strangers, really bad separation anxiety if everyone is gone for too long at home). but he was the best even though a handful at times.

14711579_10207704040705254_6585920348892

14642420_10207686795554136_8014983972330

13029625_10206432724123134_2784593452300

42 minutes ago, Don said:

I knew going in that it would take a lot of effort. We spend a lot of time outside walking/playing every day, and we usually spend a good amount of time at the dog park on the weekends. I'm sure he'd still like to do more, but I'm pretty serious about making sure his exercise needs are met. That said, getting a professional trainer for a couple of sessions would probably be beneficial in correcting some of his less desirable behaviors.

it won't be what you think.

we went through a few and all they want to do is work with you, the parent, and how to work with the dog. it's more parent conditioning than it is the dog. they mainly show you what to do to train the dog, but it takes a lot of time and patience on your end because once they show you what to do, it's up to you to carve out the time to work with or train the dog.

there was one dude that seemed to do some new things with him, but ultimately it was the same thing of us needing to spend the time with him to fix him. they don't just show up and train your dog....or at least like people want or hope for.

24 minutes ago, Brandon said:

it won't be what you think.

we went through a few and all they want to do is work with you, the parent, and how to work with the dog. it's more parent conditioning than it is the dog. they mainly show you what to do to train the dog, but it takes a lot of time and patience on your end because once they show you what to do, it's up to you to carve out the time to work with or train the dog.

there was one dude that seemed to do some new things with him, but ultimately it was the same thing of us needing to spend the time with him to fix him. they don't just show up and train your dog....or at least like people want or hope for.

Totally understood. I just view it as paying to have someone show me the best way to train my dog on my own. We have quite a bit of stuff down already, but I could use some guidance on some problem areas. I definitely don't expect any trainer to "fix him". It's more a matter of just learning new strategies that might work better than what I'm currently doing.

I may have also been overstating some of the problems. For instance, he's great in crowds of people (i.e. He just sits and lets people pet him, and is very peaceful). It's mainly that at home situation where we have a guest over, or my gf shows up, and he gets super excited about having new people around. If it were just him and I all the time, he'd be great besides wanting to walk way faster than me when on the leash.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Condolences, it is mixed with an Australian Shepard that are unmanageable curs.

I'm a fan of the aussies really. They are notoriously tough puppies to deal with, but I've met several that were super smart and very well-behaved. They just need something to do at pretty much all times. Bored aussies become bad aussies.

54 minutes ago, calscuf said:

Heres my dog.  He's awesome.

I know what you're thinking, yes it's a weird picture.  He just had surgery so he had his leg and stomach shaved, so cut him some slack.

IMG_4206.thumb.JPG.2fbd2abeb6e659b205610158b714021e.JPG

This is a case where cropping the image would help your image.

Dog lover.

I have a year old Border Collie/Shepard mix.  Ellie is incredibly smart, she understands words or phrases.  We had those lever type of door knobs/handles in our last house and she could open them from both sides.  She is high energy, she herds and she has chewed more than I'd like.  But she is a great puppy and will grow into a great dog.  

Thinking very seriously of looking into some kind of rescue dog. While our family has enjoyed having cats, I've really missed having a dog. I fully support rescue animals, especially since they're in need of a loving home, they cost far, far less than from a breeder, and we discovered we're not very good at housebreaking a puppy.

20 minutes ago, Tank said:

Thinking very seriously of looking into some kind of rescue dog. While our family has enjoyed having cats, I've really missed having a dog. I fully support rescue animals, especially since they're in need of a loving home, they cost far, far less than from a breeder, and we discovered we're not very good at housebreaking a puppy.

(Insert St1ckboy joke here)

7 hours ago, Tank said:

Rescue dogs often come with some confusion and it takes some time and patience to get their heads straight...so it's almost like housebreaking in a way...but once they trust you and settle in they are so awesome.  

Not only that...but as much as I love all kinds of dogs, pedigreed and muttly, purebreds come with an increased risk of life shortening genetic flaws .. things like cancer.