• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Matt Shoemaker Update

John Smith

7 minutes ago, nate said:

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/10013113-74/hughes-headgear-melancon

Lots of pitchers have come out and said they don't want to.  Until MLB makes it required I would imagine nothing will be done.

Wow, ok so we do have some guys (or at least one) that cares how it looks.  What a moron. 

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Hypothetically.  What if some pitcher, who saw what happened to Shoe and the others over the last few years tries on one of those protective things.  And realizes that for himself, it doesn't make that much of a difference and wants to wear it during the game.  Would MLB block it as an unapproved piece of equipment?  Would the union object, like they seem to do for weird reasons? 

Alex Torres used a prototype protective cap at a Padres home game against the Dodgers during the 2014 season.

49 minutes ago, kino said:

Alex Torres used a prototype protective cap at a Padres home game against the Dodgers during the 2014 season.

Hide contents

Well, that looks like something that Mario or Luigi would wear.  A lot more bulkier than I would have thought.  Then again, it almost looks like they just put a bigger hat on him, instead of custom making the hat also. 

With technology today, it should be doable, before something really tragic happens.

1 hour ago, nate said:

http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/10013113-74/hughes-headgear-melancon

Lots of pitchers have come out and said they don't want to.  Until MLB makes it required I would imagine nothing will be done.

Yup.  Just like NHL players.  Lots wouldn't wear it until they were forced to.  

It's time for MLB to pull the trigger on this.

5 hours ago, notherhalo said:

was he wearing one of those plates that go under the hat?   They make employees at budweiser plant all wear them and I head they arent that bad.  I believe they were invented for pitchers.  Hopefully they will become the norm sometimes.

Watching a pitcher get hit in the head is the worst thing someone can see in baseball.

Damn, now I want a pitcher of beer.

The thing I would constantly think about was that it was meaningless game in September. There obviously wasn't a thing he could've done however. It just sucks man, after all the adversity he's faced in his career, and with the rollercoaster last couple of seasons. Now this, and his career is in jeopardy... Rough game sometimes. I'll love it till I die, but rough. 

These games aren't completely meaningless... for teams or individual players.  Shoemaker is eligible for arbitration and could boost his salary if he pitches well.   Theoretically, a player could play his way into or out of a guaranteed contract extension based on how they perform in these games. Teams can learn more about players and make decisions partially based on these so called  meaningless games.

1 hour ago, ScottT said:

These games aren't completely meaningless... for teams or individual players.  Shoemaker is eligible for arbitration and could boost his salary if he pitches well.   Theoretically, a player could play his way into or out of a guaranteed contract extension based on how they perform in these games. Teams can learn more about players and make decisions partially based on these so called  meaningless games.

Dude I obviously meant meaningless as far as standings and playoff chances. I'm well aware of whats at stake for him and why he has to go out there and compete as hard as he can every start regardless of the standings. 

5 hours ago, ScottT said:

What happened to your word wrap?

Worried from NY and praying for full recovery for Shoemaker who carried the team on his back a couple of seasons ago into the postseason as runner up ROY.  He recently became that pitcher again regaining dominance.  Keep battling and hope to see you back.  You are one of the few things Charles was right about.  

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/angels-matt-shoemaker-undergoes-brain-surgery-stop-bleeding-article-1.2779270

16 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Well, that looks like something that Mario or Luigi would wear.  A lot more bulkier than I would have thought.  Then again, it almost looks like they just put a bigger hat on him, instead of custom making the hat also. 

With technology today, it should be doable, before something really tragic happens.

That looks like it was over-designed to a certain extent, with a lot of padding to reduce impact and shock.  In Matt's case, he had an impact focused on a very small area - the spherical shape of the ball puts all of the energy into one very small "point", and it acts as a penetrating object. 

A rigid ballistic plate - based on some composite material, with a small amount of padding could take the energy that was initially all focused in an area that was probably like .10 sq inches, and disperse it over an area 100 times that size.  You could make it almost eggshell thin and it would prevent the most dangerous thing - skull fracture / hematoma - which is what happened to Matt.  Obviously, the more padding, the more protection. 

Baseball should offer a set of technologies to players - from minimal to "bubble boy" - let the players choose - but pitchers, base coaches, must choose at least "minimal". 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

@Bruce NyeIt would be an ugly poisonous sculpin. You don't even touch it, you cut the line and let it drop back into the depths.

But sculpin are delicious.  If you know how to handle them they are definitely worth keeping.

I'd suggest the Escolar for your analogy.  Escolar is the fish that is often sold as the ambiguous "White Tuna" at unscrupulous sushi restaurants.  It is not tuna and eating enough can cause severe stomach cramps and diarrhea....just like our season.   

4 hours ago, Biergott said:

But sculpin are delicious.  If you know how to handle them they are definitely worth keeping.

I'd suggest the Escolar for your analogy.  Escolar is the fish that is often sold as the ambiguous "White Tuna" at unscrupulous sushi restaurants.  It is not tuna and eating enough can cause severe stomach cramps and diarrhea....just like our season.   

in a nutshell, that's it.