• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Astros DFA Carlos Gomez

Source: Astros have designated OF Carlos Gomez for assignment.

Angels should take a chance here. He's been really bad this year and has been worth 0.3 WAR the last calendar year but he's a guy to buy low on. Angels have obviously been hurting in LF and he's an intriguing option at age 30. He could be brought back for 2017 potentially(free agent this winter). 

This makes me sad. I saw him play in Milwaukee when I went to a game there. I really liked watching him and he was a really really good player. 

He's exactly the type of guy I'd like to see the Angels pursue this off-season. They can probably get him pretty cheap on a one year deal. He might do it because he'll get playing time and a long leash. A one year deal will give him the ability to hit FA and sign a big deal if he plays well. The Angels can offer him a QO and get a draft pick if they lose him or resign him if he works out. If not then it didn't cost them too much and they aren't committed for a long time. 

Does anyone feel that our clubhouse is susceptible to a bad clubhouse guy?  Will a guy like Gomez negatively affect Albert or Trout?  I kinda doubt it.  Also, I have heard nothing about Escobar being a bad guy in the clubhouse.  My issue with him is his play on the field and his lackadaisical attitude at times. 

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Does anyone feel that our clubhouse is susceptible to a bad clubhouse guy?  Will a guy like Gomez negatively affect Albert or Trout?  I kinda doubt it.  Also, I have heard nothing about Escobar being a bad guy in the clubhouse.  My issue with him is his play on the field and his lackadaisical attitude at times. 

There have been some grumblings internally about Escobar. In the past, he was more vocal, which rubbed his teammates the wrong way. For the Angels, he mostly keeps to himself.

probably get trashed for saying this (perhaps, rightfully so) but I think he's worth a flyer -- of course, I'd wait to see if the Astros really let him go-- and then pounce on him for the MLB minimum -- not sure what his contract is or how many years remain on it -- but this guy was a stellar player just last season and not that long ago........

he's likely better than what we have planned for LF next year.......

so I'd be game to pick him up for us -- I think Houston might just be dangling him to see what interest he draws and will listen to any offers -- not sure if anyone will offer much and instead wait the ten days to see if they can get him really cheap and at Houston's expense..........

I have been under the impression that like waivers, teams can pull players back from the DFA list........